PDA

View Full Version : Purple Heart recipient off to D.C.

thedrifter
01-18-09, 07:53 AM
Purple Heart recipient off to D.C.

EAST CAMERON TOWNSHIP — When the Christian family steps into the throngs of people witnessing President-elect Barack Obama’s inauguration on Tuesday — thanks the the magnanimity of U.S. Sen. Robert Casey — they’re not sure what they’re going to experience.
BY JUSTIN STRAWSER
STAFF WRITER
justin_s@newsitem.com
Published: Sunday, January 18, 2009 5:11 AM EST
EAST CAMERON TOWNSHIP — When the Christian family steps into the throngs of people witnessing President-elect Barack Obama’s inauguration on Tuesday — thanks the the magnanimity of U.S. Sen. Robert Casey — they’re not sure what they’re going to experience.

But then again, unexpected events have shaped the East Cameron family into the rock-solid unit it is today.

Life changed dramatically in 2006 when Carl and Debbie’s son, Petty Officer 2nd Class Joshua Christian of 2nd Medical Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, was severely injured in an improvised explosive device (IED)

explosion on April 17 while deployed at Camp Hit, Iraq.

It wasn’t the first time Joshua had survived an IED. Both times he had tried to tend to his fellow Marines while injured himself. But the concussion he received in the spring 2006 explosion was far more severe. While he received a Purple Heart on Feb. 9, 2007, for his injuries, he was also left with memory loss and had trouble articulating his thoughts, which are lucid, according to Debbie.

“His words are in there,” said Debbie, “but it’s hard to get them out.”

Life has been full of therapy and doctors appointments, but the family remains positive.

“The fact that he’s home and he’s with us and he’s safe is more than a parent can ask for. We’re blessed to have him here with us. Besides that,” said Carl, “I have a fishing buddy.”

Debbie added she’s proud of her son, despite how difficult it was to see him go through tough times.

“From where I was, it’s gotten better,” Joshua reflected. “I’ve learned to adapt.”

A surprising source

While the family was reeling from the second incident, they were taken also taken aback by the amount of help, support and caring received from a suprising source — Casey.

Casey, according to the Christian family, has been an influential force in Joshua’s life since he came home from his injuries. Debbie said Joshua wouldn’t get the medical help he needed had it not been for Casey. Carl calls him a “straight-up guy.” Joshua described him as “an advocate for me, being a veteran.”

The family met Casey last May when he came for dinner. Debbie was pleasantly surprised it wasn’t a publicized visit. She and her husband kept it quiet, and the senator didn’t contact any media to take pictures or write an article.

“He just wanted to meet Joshua,” said Debbie.

Joshua, 26, was able to take away a simple fact about the senator. “He really cares,” he said, “and he really wants to help.”

It was Sen. Casey’s efforts that afforded the Christians the chance to travel to the nation’s Capitol for the presidential inauguration.

“I couldn’t believe it,” said Debbie about the invitation. “I was...” she trailed off, unable to find the right words to express exactly what she was feeling. She settled with “honored.”

Washington or bust

Carl, Debbie and Joshua will have a long day ahead of them on Tuesday. They were finally able to book a hotel near the Baltimore-Washington International Airport after a bit of a struggle. They also have to pick up their tickets at Casey’s Washington, D.C. office. All of that will require the family to rise at 4 a.m. to make it to the inauguration in time. Then, they have to hit security by 8 a.m. If they’re not through by 11 a.m., they were told, the Christians won’t be allowed in, even if they’re holding tickets.

An estimated 3 million people will be in the nation’s capital on Tuesday. To be in the midst of that many people, “How do you describe something like that? To be part of witnessing history, to be there an see it up front like that. This is a big stepping stone. To be on the forefront is... wow,” Carl said.

Debbie’s emotions are a mixture of excitement and trepidation. Joshua is amazed he’ll be part of such a historic event. And after the inauguration awaits a reception hosted by Sen. Casey.

Despite the anticipation, despite all the possibilities for something, anything to go wrong, the three are ready.

“Washington or bust,” joked Carl.

Ellie