PDA

View Full Version : Trying to do the right thing

WrkInPrgres21
01-18-09, 05:17 AM
I've done my research, I've spoken with my recruiter, I've set a future date to enlist and then enter into the delayed program to allow more time to work up to basic training... ive been a desk jockey for the past year and lost all my muscle i gained from working in a warehouse. But I am still confused as to how the whole thing works.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I gather, as far as my situation I am getting in shape sum and studying for the ASVAB proir to my sign date on 24feb2009 at meps ill sign up for the delay entry program and my recruiters said its usually going to be for 3 months so after that I'll get shipped to Parris, go through basic (do well... hopefully) then get the ten day leave and get shipped to combat training for 3 weeks.... but then what... where do you go from that point? Home, base, ???? Should i be concerned that my recruiter isnt going over this type of info with me?

Also is it accurate that you are not allowed to have your partner on base unless you are married, cause my fiance' and i have been engaged for a year and a half and we're not trying to rush into marriage but we have been living together and intend to upon completion of basic and combat training... will this be possible without marriage.... and even so with a spouse on base do they get civilian type jobs? Although he technically isnt a civy he's an army reservist. Anyone have any advice or more rather any type of info to help with my personal situation??

dhenderson88
01-18-09, 06:02 AM
After all that you'll go to your MOS training, which could be anywhere depending on your MOS. You will not be able to bring any dependents along to your MOS school, which could be anywhere from one month to over a year. Then you'll go to the fleet and your spouse can join you there, but they would have to be your spouse for you to get BAH and all that. You could live off base with her but you won't get any extra money to pay for housing until your married.

redman1
01-18-09, 06:04 AM
You are worring to much about everything.
If you want to be a Marine nothing will stop you!
Don't worry about your shape, Boot Camp will take care of that!
Don't get married first, If the Marines want you to have a wife they will issue you one.
I went in at the age of 19 and only had been married two months. Wish I hadn't got married so soon.
Boot Camp made me a Marine and I'm Proud of it.
None of us were Marine material before boot Camp but trust me the DI's will make a Marine out of you or send you home.
The Marines have the BEST training you will ever get, If it hadn't been for basic training, combat training from the BEST the BEST have to offer I wouldn't have made it home from Nam.
If in your Gut you have doubts about the Marines you need to stay home and get married.
Marines are the BEST and want only to make the BEST out of you.
After reading all you wrote I don't know if you have what it takes.
I'm not going to sign off with Semper Fi like I usually do because you don't deserve it yet. Only Marines have earned that right.
We as Marines always stick togeather and never leave a brother Marine behind and once a Marine always a Marine.
If you are not willing to give it all you got and become part of the BEST of the BEST you better stay were you are.
Good Luck
Redman1

redman1
01-18-09, 06:58 AM
Check out a site I found on Gunny Hiles web called Marine.com its says its for checking out the Marine's.
Redman1

PaidinBlood
01-18-09, 08:09 AM
Beth,
wow that is a lot of info. I think you need to decide which really matters the most to you. not trying to say choose between your man and the Corps, but you will have to know which one wins.
Even if you are married, he cannot join you until you reach your first duty station. I also wonder how this will work with him being a Reservist doggie-can he get a transfer to your first duty station in a timely manner? You've got a lot of questions here and I think you need to work those out before going to MEPS.

WrkInPrgres21
01-19-09, 07:44 PM
Beth,
wow that is a lot of info. I think you need to decide which really matters the most to you. not trying to say choose between your man and the Corps, but you will have to know which one wins.
Even if you are married, he cannot join you until you reach your first duty station. I also wonder how this will work with him being a Reservist doggie-can he get a transfer to your first duty station in a timely manner? You've got a lot of questions here and I think you need to work those out before going to MEPS.

Well like they say if the Marines wanted me to have a husband they'd issue me one. :p You never know what will happen in the realtionships you have, but once you earn the title of Marine you know you'll have the bond of the brotherhood for life. That's a huge reason I want to be a Marine.

Oh and the army reservists are an odd bunch they let a lot of things go.... for instance when he got back from basic training in GA he was supposed to be attending the weekends, didn't go for 10 months never called to let them know or anything, no one bothered checking up on him until eventually one day they called and said, "Private are you aware you've been AWOL for 10 months?" Not even a slap on the wrist never got in trouble since then he's supposed to have gone 4 times and he's only gone twice, still not even a slap on the wrist. I don't get it. But that is his deal, I could never do that.

When do you go to your duty station... it goes boot camp, 10 days off, combat training (because I'm a woman) then what?

PaidinBlood
01-19-09, 09:12 PM
combat training because you're a woman? How bout 'cause you'll be a Marine?

Anyway, it will all depend on your MOS. Can't tell you from there.

Marine84
01-20-09, 07:51 AM
Oh and the army reservists are an odd bunch they let a lot of things go.... for instance when he got back from basic training in GA he was supposed to be attending the weekends, didn't go for 10 months never called to let them know or anything, no one bothered checking up on him until eventually one day they called and said, "Private are you aware you've been AWOL for 10 months?" Not even a slap on the wrist never got in trouble since then he's supposed to have gone 4 times and he's only gone twice, still not even a slap on the wrist. I don't get it. But that is his deal, I could never do that.

And you STILL want to associate with him? If he doesn't have enough Honor in him to Commit to a reserve Army contract, how do you think he'll honor a wedding vow?

KawiGunny
01-20-09, 08:08 AM
And you STILL want to associate with him? If he doesn't have enough Honor in him to Commit to a reserve Army contract, how do you think he'll honor a wedding vow?

I'm with you. He doesn't have what it takes to commit. She needs to drop his sorry arse and join the Corps.

PaidinBlood
01-20-09, 09:20 AM
He probably dropped out of boot camp and just makes up occasional "drills" to fake the funk back home..

0231Marine
01-20-09, 12:05 PM
I've done my research, I've spoken with my recruiter, I've set a future date to enlist and then enter into the delayed program to allow more time to work up to basic training... ive been a desk jockey for the past year and lost all my muscle i gained from working in a warehouse. But I am still confused as to how the whole thing works.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this is what I gather, as far as my situation I am getting in shape sum and studying for the ASVAB proir to my sign date on 24feb2009 at meps ill sign up for the delay entry program and my recruiters said its usually going to be for 3 months so after that I'll get shipped to Parris, go through basic (do well... hopefully) then get the ten day leave and get shipped to combat training for 3 weeks.... but then what... where do you go from that point? Home, base, ???? Should i be concerned that my recruiter isnt going over this type of info with me?

Also is it accurate that you are not allowed to have your partner on base unless you are married, cause my fiance' and i have been engaged for a year and a half and we're not trying to rush into marriage but we have been living together and intend to upon completion of basic and combat training... will this be possible without marriage.... and even so with a spouse on base do they get civilian type jobs? Although he technically isnt a civy he's an army reservist. Anyone have any advice or more rather any type of info to help with my personal situation??

Oh for crying out loud!

First of all, it's Parris Island, not Parris. If you want to go to France, then do it but don't be disrespecting the Marine Corps by calling boot camp a country filled with a bunch of b*tches.

Secondly, your fiance sounds like a douchbag and it would be best if you left him on the side of the road. Anyone that doesn't have enough guts to follow through on weekend duty once a month sounds like a loser to me. It'll catch up with him eventually and then you'll have a fiance int he brig. Let me know how that works out for you.

Finally, following bootcamp (not basic), you'll get 10 days of leave, then you'll report back for 3 weeks of MCT. After graduation, you'll go immediately to your MOS school. Depending on what school that is, you could go anywhere in the country and be there for up to a year or more. You will not be allowed to have a husband there so don't even worry about getting married at this point because you will see very little of eachother for the first year. Then, upon completion of MOS school, you'll get orders to your first fleet unit which could be anywhere in the states or overseas in Japan. So bottom line is, don't get married until you know where you're going to end up at. Especially to someone who sounds like he's a grown man acting like a 12 year old. You wonder why it's an Army of One and then you hear stories like this!

And it's a duty station, not home base.

Petz
01-20-09, 12:14 PM
well in the Marine corps if you are UA (unauthorized Absence) for 9 drills you get admin sep'd from the reserves. The Army MAY not be as strict but I would think that they are in the process of...

Petz
01-20-09, 12:16 PM
After all that you'll go to your MOS training, which could be anywhere depending on your MOS. You will not be able to bring any dependents along to your MOS school, which could be anywhere from one month to over a year. Then you'll go to the fleet and your spouse can join you there, but they would have to be your spouse for you to get BAH and all that. You could live off base with her but you won't get any extra money to pay for housing until your married.

SHE is not a lesbian.... but it's a nice thought right?

next time check profiles.

WrkInPrgres21
01-20-09, 01:12 PM
Oh for crying out loud!

First of all, it's Parris Island, not Parris. If you want to go to France, then do it but don't be disrespecting the Marine Corps by calling boot camp a country filled with a bunch of b*tches.

Secondly, your fiance sounds like a douchbag and it would be best if you left him on the side of the road. Anyone that doesn't have enough guts to follow through on weekend duty once a month sounds like a loser to me. It'll catch up with him eventually and then you'll have a fiance int he brig. Let me know how that works out for you.

Finally, following bootcamp (not basic), you'll get 10 days of leave, then you'll report back for 3 weeks of MCT. After graduation, you'll go immediately to your MOS school. Depending on what school that is, you could go anywhere in the country and be there for up to a year or more. You will not be allowed to have a husband there so don't even worry about getting married at this point because you will see very little of eachother for the first year. Then, upon completion of MOS school, you'll get orders to your first fleet unit which could be anywhere in the states or overseas in Japan. So bottom line is, don't get married until you know where you're going to end up at. Especially to someone who sounds like he's a grown man acting like a 12 year old. You wonder why it's an Army of One and then you hear stories like this!

And it's a duty station, not home base.

I never knew my shorthand for things would cause such a problem btw Paris, France ---- Parris Island, They are spelled differently so I didnt think I'd catch flack for that. I appreciate the fact that I'm learning quickly that details are extremely important to the Marine community. Thank you for the input!:)

WrkInPrgres21
01-20-09, 01:14 PM
Thank you for the input I greatly appreciate it! I'm not going to boot camp to find a man I'm going to boot camp to become a Marine so I won't be chasing tail no worries! :p

WrkInPrgres21
01-20-09, 04:29 PM
combat training because you're a woman? How bout 'cause you'll be a Marine?

Anyway, it will all depend on your MOS. Can't tell you from there.

Meant in the sense that women cannot go to the School of Infantry. I've got to learn how to be more specific.

WrkInPrgres21
01-20-09, 04:30 PM
SHE is not a lesbian.... but it's a nice thought right?

next time check profiles.

I tried to let that one ride.

WrkInPrgres21
01-20-09, 04:33 PM
He probably dropped out of boot camp and just makes up occasional "drills" to fake the funk back home..

I was at his graduation I have the pictures actually otherwise, I'd kind of doubt it too. I'm the one who drops him off at the drills too, trust me I know I'm dumb for the whole thing don't know what keeps me there but at least I'll get away for awhile and when I'm done see if it makes sense to keep it going or not.

redman1
01-20-09, 04:49 PM
I tried to let that one ride.

Sorry Marines
I had just joined this form and didn't know to check profile first.
I got so mad about not knowing whether to join the Marines or not that I just jumped the gun.
I felt bad after looking at the profile but didn't say anything and hoped no one would notice.
Should know Marines don't miss anything
Won't make that mistake again and I'm sorry
(Boy that hurts to say I'm S o r y, never said that before and I couldn't even spell it right the second time.
Semper Fi Redman1

Enigmatic
01-20-09, 06:08 PM
Meant in the sense that women cannot go to the School of Infantry. I've got to learn how to be more specific.

Yes they can. And they do. Every single one of them....they don't go to ITB, though. But neither do most male Marines. Just the grunts.

rvillac2
01-20-09, 07:16 PM
Good Point, Cpl G.
Just to be clear:
SOI is a school with two courses: Infantry Training and MCT.
Just like OCS is a school with two courses: PLC and OCC.

oifvet23
01-21-09, 10:18 AM
Thank you for the input I greatly appreciate it! I'm not going to boot camp to find a man I'm going to boot camp to become a Marine so I won't be chasing tail no worries! :p

I don't think he was talking about finding men in bootcamp, you wont see very many there anyway, I think he was talking about the fleet.

WrkInPrgres21
01-22-09, 09:34 AM
Yes they can. And they do. Every single one of them....they don't go to ITB, though. But neither do most male Marines. Just the grunts.

Ok I'm lost my booklet clearly stated woman cannot go to School of Infantry for the 3 weeks of training after boot camp and ten day leave, only the other school... Combat Training ( I forget the actual name I'm at work can't look it up my books in the car) So what is accurate? Or I am getting things mixed up here?

rvillac2
01-22-09, 10:16 AM
I guess we weren't clear enough.
You and all other non-Infantry Marines will go to MCT which is taught by the School of Infantry.

WrkInPrgres21
01-22-09, 10:23 AM
I guess we weren't clear enough.
You and all other non-Infantry Marines will go to MCT which is taught by the School of Infantry.

I missed your post I'm sorry Thank You.