PDA

View Full Version : ASVAB scoring

trancemasta
01-17-09, 12:55 PM
I have not taken the ASVAB yet, but for some reason I'm worried Ill score really low. I'm horrible in math. If one were to score low, would they still be able to go infantry?:iwo:

Petz
01-17-09, 12:59 PM
don't worry... follow the instructions... I'm horrible at math (like really horrible... I failed algebra 2 times before I finally passed it) and still got a 68.

if you don't like it, then wait a year and take it again.

anything over 50 is great!

trancemasta
01-17-09, 01:37 PM
Yea but at times I can be answering the simplest of all questions wrong. I don't know why...

E6Meat
01-17-09, 05:08 PM
Don't stress over the ASVAB, if you score low on the EST just pick up an ASVAB at any major book store. If you get a 40 or above on the EST you should do just fine on the ASVAB anything between 31 and 40, just take a few days to review the AFQT section of the ASVAB book. Specifically the math portion to review the different elements of the math for example "exponents, circles, fractions, etc...." trust me I had a guy get a 26 on the EST and study those sections and ended up with a 69. Keep your mind right and relax. Good Luck!! Oh and you don't have to wait a year if you don't do well on the ASVAB the 1st time you just have to wait 1 month.

Semper Fi

Petz
01-17-09, 07:50 PM
oh, .... it's only good for a year???????

that time frame is stuck in my head for SOME reason...

echo6 knows better than me in that area.

trancemasta
01-18-09, 09:08 AM
This may be a dumb question but. Do they at least let you use a calculator? I mean if a math problem comes to me I usually am able to solve it better than on paper.

PaidinBlood
01-18-09, 09:20 AM
you can use an abacus, but only if you bring your own. Removal of shoes is an automatic DQ

trancemasta
01-18-09, 09:28 AM
May I ask what an abacus is?

PaidinBlood
01-18-09, 09:33 AM
No but you can ask what Google is...

trancemasta
01-18-09, 09:39 AM
Good one. haha

trancemasta
01-18-09, 09:42 AM
Wow I haven't used one of those since elementary school i think. Is this what they let you use? http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=American+Abacus&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

Are basic calculators allowed?

PaidinBlood
01-18-09, 09:53 AM
Wow I haven't used one of those since elementary school i think. Is this what they let you use? http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=American+Abacus&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

Are basic calculators allowed?

only if the keys also have Braille numbers on them. and solar only. this ain't the Army, you know..