View Full Version : Page Hilltop School teaches --

thedrifter
01-17-09, 07:19 AM
Page Hilltop School teaches --
'We are part of a global community'
By Katrina Folger
Posted: 01/16/2009 08:30:54 AM EST

Correspondent

AYER -- "Teaching kids that we are part of a global community is very important to me," said Page Hilltop Principal Fred Deppe.

It is for this reason that he has encouraged students to think about the American soldiers who are overseas, at every school he has been a part of. It is no different now that he is at the helm of Ayer's elementary school.

"With Ayer being right next to what used to be Fort Devens, it is even more fitting that we recognize and support the men and women who are in the military," Deppe said.

"This year the kids took part in a Veteran's Day program that was very powerful," Deppe noted. Third grader Samuel Thieme, whose father is in the Marines, wrote a special poem for that occasion. He wrote, "Dad is in the Marines. Sometimes he is gone for a long time. I feel sad. I miss him. I'm afraid for my Dad -- then he comes home. I feel happy. I hug him and say, 'Daddy.'"

This December, Page Hilltop students were also able to send items to be part of care packages that went overseas.

Deppe sent the packages to two very special men who are currently serving in Iraq and who have ties to Page Hilltop. Deppe's son, Kristian Deppe, and Joseph Justice, an uncle to three Page Hilltop students, received and distributed the treats and supplies collected by the school community. "Everyone was so generous and we sent many full boxes that were very appreciated," Deppe reported.

Page Hilltop is still collecting items to send overseas and they are planning a Memorial Day program as well. Deppe hopes to acquire and install a flagpole and American flag for his school before the May program.

"I think it is important for the kids to have a sense of pride in their country and for them to realize that the world is bigger than just our school, town or state. I want them to know that they are an important part of this big world."

Deppe wants to extend support to families in the community who have loved ones overseas and encourages them to contact him at the school.

Ellie