PDA

View Full Version : FUBARs

Kalbo
06-15-03, 06:18 PM
Hoping this might be an interesting thread. Tell us about your Fubars.

I'll start....

While supporting a group of civilians testing remote controlled vechiles out in Dugway, Utah (Dugway get's it's name from the ruts left behind the old pinoeer wagons), one RCV went down and was lost. My SSgt. and I were tasked to go search for it. We spent a couple hours looking for it, without success. On our way back to the op center, my SSgt. picks up this mud covered old sign lying on the ground. As he rubs the mud off the sign, we were shocked to read " You are now leaving a Chemical Contanmination Zone....". FUBAR!!

SF Bill "Kalbo" Long

richgitz
06-15-03, 08:01 PM
That sounds like a CERTIFIED FUBAR to me. Did you GLOW in the
dark that night?

Kalbo
06-15-03, 09:30 PM
richgitz,

No, I'm just waiting to see how many legs my kids will have.

Bill

Barrio_rat
06-16-03, 12:23 PM
I got to thinking that some FUBAR's might have ended up in a JAG investigation and, if a person were of a mind to tell their story in here, they may want to look at the statute of limitations first. Ya just never know who might be reading these threads and I don't think Shaffer has found a way to block CID or NIS...

I was Aviation Ordnance - not many of us can have a FUBAR story and live to tell about it - I've seen some films though. They ain't pretty.

Had to think a bit... here's one for ya. A Sgt was going through some CAD's (Cartridge Actuated Device - much like a shot gun shell, they come in various sizes. These were about the size of a shot gun shell but about half the length). Anyway, the Sgt is going through these and pulls one, handing it to a LCpl says, “This one’s no good... take it out back and crack it with a hammer a couple of times so we won’t get it mixed up with the others.” The LCpl waited a bit to see if the Sgt was joking - no indicators, so the LCpl did as he was told. He came back and handed it to the Sgt. Turns out, the Sgt had been kidding and had a look of horror on his face after seeing the CAD. It very well could have gone off and done untold damage to the young Marine. OOOPS! Then the Sgt had to get to the paperwork for a damaged CAD.

Alright, that ain’t my FUBAR, but it is pretty good. Here’s mine, I’ve told this story somewhere else in the postings - this is the best I’ve got without getting someone put in jail - hehehehe. We were moving equipment on trailers out of our shop - preparing to move into a new shop. All hands were needed for this and I ended up driving a tug (1-2 Ton rig with an I6 used for moving aircraft - good torque but no speed). The tug I was driving that day had a pair of racing stripes on it - the governor had been taken off, so it could reach speeds up to 15 mph. After dropping off a trailer we headed back around the flight line to the shop. There was some dirt with pot holes in it. I took the opportunity to go “off road” with it. I was ditch hopping it when a SSgt came running over telling us to stop. Well, both I and my “A” driver had no license for the rig. Turns out I had “caught air” with it and later found out I’d torn up the rear end in it. I had to paint a building for that one.

NEWB
06-17-03, 01:44 AM
FUBAR.....Hmmmm, let's see. The worst one I can remember was in Nam. A couple of Marines were ordered to clean up the ammo bunker and sort things out. One of them and to this day we don't know who dropped a hand flare into the case. The only problem was the cap was in the firing position. Needless to say things got REEEEEAL interesting about then. Thank God no one was killed. However we did lose all our SRB's. Still haven't gotten that straightened out.