PDA

View Full Version : Hands-on training at Camp Kinser

thedrifter
01-17-09, 06:52 AM
Hands-on training at Camp Kinser

Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Sunday, January 18, 2009

CAMP KINSER, Okinawa — About 200 Camp Kinser-based Marines got some hands-on training Friday with five karate-do champions.

The Marines — from two combat logistics regiments of the 3rd Marine Logistics Group — learned tsuki, a very basic form of Okinawa karate-do, from the experts during a cultural awareness seminar at the Kinser Fitness Center. It was sponsored by the Okinawa Prefectural Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Marine Corps.

The demonstrators, who ranged in level from third dan to eighth dan in karate-do, also showcased their skills in orchestrated battles and complicated katas (series of movements). All were participants in the 19th World Karatedo Championship held in Tokyo last year.

Col. Thomas A. Gorry, Camp Kinser and Combat Logistics Regiment 37 commander, said he hopes to have more cultural exchanges such as this in the future.

“Exposing Marines to the beauty and the unique nature of the Okinawa culture — it’s through the exchange that I think Marines gain a better knowledge and appreciation for the different cultures,” Gorry said.

Ellie

thedrifter
01-17-09, 07:08 AM
Marines chop, kick to learn Okinawan culture

NAHA, Okinawa Pref. (Kyodo) U.S. Marines kicked and chopped their way into the local culture Friday during a karate clinic in Okinawa, which has been plagued with crimes committed by military personnel.

About 200 marines from the logistics group based in Urasoe were given lectures on the sprit of Okinawan karate and its basic noncontact "kata" exercise by a local group of martial artists, including the 2008 women's world champion.

The clinic was the latest effort by the U.S. Marines and the Foreign Ministry to provide U.S. military personnel an opportunity to deepen their understanding of Okinawan culture and prevent them from committing crimes.

"Karate is suited to build discipline, as well as mental and physical training, and I think there is no way for people in military service to miss it," an official of the ministry's local office said.

Tsuguo Sakumoto, a professor at Okinawa Prefectural University of Arts who served as chief instructor at the clinic, said he was impressed with how quickly many of the attendees got the knack of karate.

"They have natural aptitude, probably because they are well-trained (in the military), to the degree that I even want to give them a chance to train intensively with me," Sakumoto said.

The Japan Times: Saturday, Jan. 17, 2009

Ellie