PDA

View Full Version : Ship date flexibility for reserves?

jdbase
01-16-09, 03:53 PM
Here's my situation:

I am enlisting in the USMC Reserve and they have an 0311 contract "saved" for me. I went down to MEPS to DEP in, but only got to take the ASVAB before being told that I would need a medical waiver for LASIK (laser eye surgery). Therefore, I was not able to swear in and the recruiter is currently working on getting me a waiver so I can go back to MEPS for the physical and swearing in. The waiver should not be a problem since it's fairly common, but it is taking some time.

The waiver is taking enough time that it is creeping up on my ship date. I was originally told that I can't push that ship date back at all, since that is the last day they can "save" the spot for (something to do with a "pivot date"). If this is true, there is a very real chance I might lose this spot which was "saved" for me, since the waiver may not come through in time.

But, now I am being told that they could push the ship date back another week, if necessary.

The question is:
Can the recruiter really "save" the spot for longer than the "pivot date" if we are waiting on a waiver (since technically, the ball is no longer in our court)? Or, am I realistically going to lose this spot?

Appreciate any responses!