PDA

View Full Version : 0231 - Intelligence Analyst - What you need to know!

0231Marine
01-16-09, 09:32 AM
Alright, so in the interest of enlightening you poolee's and even some Marines (Enigmatic) on the Intelligence field and what it is like to be a Marine with the 0231 MOS, I've decided to put it all...

Covey_Rider
01-20-09, 11:20 PM
I think that I might have one correction to the post regarding the DLAB. I was informed that it is a scored test, and that your score is what dictates the language that you learn, since some languages are much harder then others. Who knows, I could be wrong though haha.

0231Marine
01-22-09, 11:45 AM
I'm currently in the DEP for the 92 day Reserve program, and following this I'm planning on going into 0811, Artillery. If I do decide to go active duty following college, I want to do this MOS. How feasible is a lat-move into this MOS from another field?

Also, if one decides to do OCS and become an officer, what is this MOS like in that area?

Thanks in advance!

Lat moving to Intel after your first enlistment will likely be approved. Currently, this MOS is a critical need for the Marine Corps and so it would be likely right now that you wouldn't have any issues pending you meet the qualifications. However, keep in mind that the Marine Corps is increasing its numbers and this may change in the next 3-4 years. I can't predict the future so I can't tell you for sure.

Regarding the officer question, that's an entirely different topic all together and a question that would be better asked in the OCS forum.

I believe the link is www.marines.ocs.com (http://www.marines.ocs.com) but I'm not sure. Just google OCS threads or something like that and you should get it.

0231Marine
01-22-09, 11:46 AM
Hey, this post is very helpful to me as I am going to be an 02xx, but i was wondering what the chances were of getting 0231 because that is the MOS i want, is there certain 02xx MOS's more rare than the other? Or is it basicall luck?

It goes by the needs of the Marine Corps so there are no guaruntees. You'll end up in the 02 field regardless but it may be as a 31 and it may not be. I know they need analysts though so your chances are decent at least.

rg2o3
01-30-09, 03:31 PM
Quick question, what types of things would get you denied for a TS Clearance? Thanks.

richerich
01-30-09, 04:00 PM
Check out:

http://www.dod.mil/dodgc/doha/industrial/

You can scan through cases, and see some specifics people were denied. Even though these are industrial/contractor adjudications, they provide quite a bit of insight.

0231Marine
04-10-09, 06:50 AM
Great to know! But percentage wise how likely will you be deployed as an 02xx?

It just depends on what unit you end up going to. Some duty stations available out of MOS school will be non-deployable while others, you'll deploy almost immediately. I went to 1st Intelligence Battalion and deployed 4 times in 4 years there. Other Marines I went to school with deployed once in that same time frame.

0231Marine
04-29-09, 07:04 AM
Cpl, is 0231 a five year contract?

Yes. If the Marine Corps is going to spend the time and money to do a background search, give you a TS Clearance and a highly desirable skill set in the civilian world, they're going to want 5 years from you at a minimum. It goes by fast though.