PDA

View Full Version : Marine Forces Korea welcomes its first sergeant major

thedrifter
01-16-09, 09:31 AM
Marine Forces Korea welcomes its first sergeant major

By Jimmy Norris, Stars and Stripes
Pacific edition, Saturday, January 17, 2009

YONGSAN GARRISON, South Korea — For the first time, Marine Forces Korea has a sergeant major.

The unit welcomed its top enlisted Marine, Sgt. Maj. Michael Redmeyer, during a brief ceremony Thursday at Yongsan Garrison.

"If you want to [see him] — and you have a problem, I expect — I encourage you to go in there and talk to the sergeant major," Marine Forces Korea commander Maj. Gen. Frank Panter said as he introduced Redmeyer. "He’ll help you."

Redmeyer comes here from the Marine Corps Mountain Warfare Training Center near Bridgeport, Calif.

Panter said having a sergeant major also gives the unit a voice among U.S. Forces Korea’s senior enlisted members.

"I have a guy who’s sitting at the table now, among the sergeants major and command master chiefs," Panter said.

Redmeyer said small Marine units working as part of joint commands haven’t historically had sergeants major but that Corps leadership recently saw the need for change.

Redmeyer will be responsible for about 80 Marines within Marine Forces Korea but will be available for all Marines stationed on or visiting the peninsula.

Panter said that during major exercises and contingencies thousands of Marines may deploy to South Korea, and Redmeyer will be responsible for them too.

Ellie