View Full Version : Outgoing commander gets Bronze Star

thedrifter
01-15-09, 04:51 PM
Outgoing commander gets Bronze Star
Comments 1 | Recommend 0
January 15, 2009 - 4:27 PM
By Drew C. Wilson
Havelock News

Lt. Col. Thomas A. Bruno was quick to credit members of his squadron after he received a Bronze Star Thursday at Cherry Point.

Bruno had commanded Marine Tactical Warfare Squadron 4 from August of 2007 until Thursday when he turned over control to Lt. Col. David A. Suggs during a ceremony at the air station.

"The medal is actually more to the squadron," Bruno said. "It's not an award for the commanding officer as an individual. I think it's an award for the squadron for what the CO's accomplished over the time he was in command."

The VMAQ-4 Seahawks consist of EA-6B Prowlers and are based at Cherry Point. The squadron recently returned from Iraq.

"Aircraft like that, they have to be maintained," Bruno said. "And, all the other squadron functions have to happen. It's a tribute more for the squadron more than to the person."

Bruno, a native of Philadelphia, is a 1989 graduate of the Naval Academy. He received his wings from Naval Flight Officers' Training in June of 1991.

His first duty was as a member of the VMAQ-4 from 1992 to 1997 and made two Western Pacific deployments and two contingency deployments. During his time at VMAQ-4, Bruno served as ground training officer, quality assurance officer and assistant aviation maintenance officer.

In 2002, Bruno received a Masters Degree in Military Studies from the Marine Corps Command and Staff College at Quantico, Va.

As Brig. Gen. Robert S. Walsh pinned the medal on Bruno's chest, a citation was read detailing the reasons for the award.

"Lt. Col. Bruno's leadership, tactical knowledge and superior performance were the guiding force which led the Seahawks to achieve multiple milestones for the Prowler community," the citation said.

Bruno was also credited with creating a team of instructors who would train multiple units while deployed. The team instructed more than 100 Marines in 17 commands in a wide variety of force protection tactics.

He also made recommendations that helped eliminate a transmitter issue on the EA-6B Prowler.

"Lt. Col. Bruno's distinctive contributions, unrelenting perseverance and steadfast devotion to duty reflected great credit upon himself and were in keeping with the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service," according to the citation.

Bruno said he had mixed feelings about receiving the medal on the same day he turned command over to Suggs.

"He's getting a great batch of Marines," Bruno said. "I hope I've prepared them as well as I could to get them right back out the door again.

"We've been working really hard to prepare for the next deployment. That's what keeps the long hours and on weekends to make sure they're ready to go in that short a time."

Ellie

thedrifter
01-15-09, 04:52 PM
Video

http://www.havenews.com/video/index.php?bcpid=1156018499&bclid=1155088415&bctid=7434174001

Ellie