PDA

View Full Version : Griswold high graduate to pilot presidential helicopter

thedrifter
01-15-09, 11:29 AM
01/15/2009
Griswold high graduate to pilot presidential helicopter
Lindsay Blake, Staff Writer , lindsay.blake@nonpareilonline.com

Captain Nick Turner, the youngest of eight children, started flying helicopters at an early age.

"When I was a kid, I didn't see my dad much unless I flew with him," the 1997 Griswold High School graduate said. "I got my love of flying from doing the family business with my dad."

His father, Larry, flew helicopters for the Marines in Vietnam. When he returned home, he started Turner Copter Services Inc., a crop spraying and heavy lifting business.

Growing up around helicopters and listening to the stories of his father's war buddies fascinated Turner; and although he knew he wanted to fly as a career, he did not make the decision to join the Marines until his junior year in college.

"I finally told myself if I'm going to do it (flying), I'm going to give some blood, sweat and tears," Turner said.

Stationed in Hawaii, Turner is currently in the HMH-362 squadron, the same squadron his father flew for in Vietnam. Although the helicopter has changed, the mission has remained the same.

"We affectionately call our duties 'beans, bullets and band aids,'" Turner said.

The squadron is responsible for moving food, transporting troops for raids and performing medical evacuations of those injured. Turner and his squadron will deploy to Iraq Jan. 21 and, if all goes well, will return in seven months.

Upon his return, Turner and his family will move to Virginia where he will join the Marine Helicopter Squadron (HMX-1) Nighthawks, stepping beyond his father's footsteps.

This squadron is the only organization responsible for direct helicopter support for the White House. HMX-1 is the sole helicopter transport squadron for the president of the United States and stands alone in its role of testing and evaluating helicopter systems for the Fleet Marine Force.

"Being a pilot alone has been a dream," Turner said. "But this is almost surreal, something I've always aspired to."

With more than 700 personnel assigned, HMX-1 is the largest permanently formed aircraft squadron in the Marine Corps.

Turner will serve four years on the HMX-1 squadron and will not only transport the president but also the vice president, cabinet members and VIPs. He will also learn to fly four new aircraft: CH-53E, VH-71 Kestrel, VH-3D and VH-60.

While he believes his experience in the HMX-1 squadron will be amazing, Turner loves being a Marine. Not only for the sake of flying but also being a leader and pushing others down the right course is rewarding for Turner.

"Can you believe they are giving me a paycheck to do this?" Turner asked. "I would do it for free. Who can say they are living their dream?"

"Nick is my legacy," Larry said. "He has the eagle, anchor and globe stamp on his eyeballs. He has a real touch to fly helicopters, and it's really all he knows."

Ellie