PDA

View Full Version : Plaistow Marine returns home after second tour of duty in Iraq

thedrifter
01-15-09, 07:44 AM
Plaistow Marine returns home after second tour of duty in Iraq

By Margo Sullivan
margosullivan@eagletribune.com

January 15, 2009 03:55 am

PLAISTOW — During two stints of combat duty in Iraq, Cpl. Ryan Clarke survived a roadside bomb and a number of battles against insurgents.

Back home in Plaistow yesterday, the 21-year-old recalled some battles during his first tour, but said he would still recommend the Marine Corps to young people looking for career advancement.

"I think it's a good experience," he said. "A lot of people would have handled it differently than I did. But you learn a lot of leadership skills."

Clarke returned home Monday from Hawaii, where he was stationed for the past year.

He spent four years in the Marine Corps on active duty and will stay on the inactive reserve roster for four more years.

He enlisted in February 2005.

"It was something I always wanted to do," Clarke said.

He said he was motivated by the Sept. 11 attacks. Also, one of his best friends joined the Marines. After boot camp, he was stationed in Hawaii. Then, the military sent him to Haqlaniyah, Iraq, for seven months from March until October 2006.

"There was a lot of fighting," he said.

A major city, Haqlaniyah is home to thousands of Iraqis, but it also was full of insurgents. Clarke was in a squad of between nine and 15 soldiers. They made the best of a bad situation, he said.

Clarke was knocked out by an improvised explosive device on his first tour of duty.

"I wasn't really hurt," he said.

He went back to Iraq in August 2007 and stayed until February 2008. This time, he was there after the surge and was sent to Karmah.

"It was supposed to be one of the last holdouts for insurgents," he said.

But, he said, he immediately saw a difference in the level of fighting from his first stint.

"Once in awhile there was a mortar attack," he said.

Karmah was actually nice compared with Haqlaniyah, which is in the desert, he said.

"It was all farmland," he said.

Although he didn't do any sightseeing during his missions to Iraq, he would like to go back and visit someday.

Clarke said the Iraqi people now seem to like Americans.

For now, the Timberlane Regional High School graduate, has decided to re-enter civilian life. He already has lined up a job.

Clarke expected to study criminal justice in college and become a state trooper, but has decided to postpone those plans for now.

"It's good to be home," he said.

He said he missed New England weather particularly and was tired of warm climates.

Clarke is the son of Sue Barnes of Plaistow and Clifton Clarke of Bradford, Mass. An older sister lives in Plaistow.

Ellie
Ellie