View Full Version : Camp Pendleton adds a new spin to its training arsenal

thedrifter
01-15-09, 07:04 AM
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Camp Pendleton adds a new spin to its training arsenal
By FRED SWEGLES
The Orange County Register
Comments | Recommend

When it comes to keeping America's fighting forces safe, Camp Pendleton is finding that it isn't just about training them in artillery or M-16s.

This week, the base has brought in civilian motorcycle experts – the California Superbike School – to show Marines and sailors how to be better riders.

Setting up a course on a 3,000-foot helicopter landing strip three miles inland from San Clemente, trainer Keith Code and his team are carrying out four days of instruction in advanced bike-handling techniques.

Why do it? Base officials say more than 5,000 motorcycles are registered at Camp Pendleton. While maybe 2 percent to 3 percent of civilians ride a motorcycle, "in the military, it's closer to 10 percent," said Kevin Frantum, lead motorcycle-safety instructor at the base.

During the fiscal year that ended Oct. 1, the Marine Corps lost 25 personnel to motorcycle accidents, Frantum said. Ten of those killed were from Camp Pendleton. All of those accidents occurred off base, all on sport bikes.

"You never want to lose a Marine or have a Marine injured," said 1st Lt. Tom Garnett, base media officer. When it happens in combat, it's tragic but is a risk one takes in joining the military, he said. This week's course is a way to help keep it from happening on the highway.

Everyone who registers a bike on base is required to take a basic safety course at lower speeds, Frantum said. This week's Advanced Motorcycle Operator School is taking it to a higher level for 174 riders. Code's instructors are teaching high-performance cornering and braking techniques while identifying and correcting mistakes they see.

"They are great students," Code said of the Marines. "It takes all of about the first 10 minutes of training before they realize they really didn't have the foggiest notion what they were doing. What they were doing before was completely running on instincts. It's counter to what is needed."

Cpl. Casey Kinders, 24, from Wisconsin was eager to sign up for the course when he heard Code was coming to the base. "Anybody that follows motorcycling knows that big-name riders – world champions – have gone through his schools," Kinders said.

Kinders has been riding for 10 years but said he sees he has much to learn. "Simple things like body position," he said. "My body position was messed up before. They're helping me fix it. It's making me feel more confident, more comfortable on the bike. It allows me to manipulate the bike better."

Marines will take lessons they learn back to fellow riders in their units, and the program could grow roots. "This is our beta test training session with this organization," Frantum said.

Learn more: www.superbikeschool.com

Contact the writer: fswegles@ocregister.com or 949-492-5127

Ellie