PDA

View Full Version : Knowing the tricks has its rewards

thedrifter
06-15-03, 06:32 AM
Knowing the tricks has its rewards
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 2003613184216
Story by Cpl. Anthony D. Pike

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.) -- It takes a dedicated Marine to be nominated for an award for the best Marine in a company. To be nominated more than once proves the devotion a Marine has for his job. To win the award twice takes the support of those that help the Marine.

Staff Sgt. Brian L. Brown, senior drill instructor, Platoon 3083, Company L, is quick to credit his fellow drill instructors for helping him earn the Dan Daly Award for being the best drill instructor in the company.

"I've won the Dan Daly Award twice," said Brown. "Once was after winning initial drill. I had two great drill instructors working to help us with drill."

It's his peers who taught Brown the secrets of being a drill instructor.

"They showed me everything, all the little tricks," said Brown. "They taught me everything I know about being a good drill instructor."

Brown's time on the drill field is quickly coming to an end. This will be his last training cycle after two years and three months. In his time here, Brown has trained eight platoons, five as a drill instructor and three as senior drill instructor.

"The day-to-day grind is the toughest," said Brown. "Getting up every morning is like Groundhog Day, the same thing over and over."

Despite the day-to-day routine, Brown sees the goal and continues to make the best Marines he can.

"I have a job to do," said Brown. "I have to train recruits and set an example for them. The recruits see you and want to be like you, or be better. If you go out there and show that you're tired then they think it's okay to be tired."

For Brown, his drill instructors and the Marine Corps set him on the right path.

"The Marine Corps turned me around," said Brown of his life before the Corps. "I look at life differently now. The Marine Corps opened my eyes to consequence."

Prior to joining the Marine Corps Brown found himself facing a revocation of his driving privileges.

"A judge was going to suspend my license," said Brown. "My job at the time was delivery driver so I needed to be able to drive. My lawyer told the judge I was joining the Marine Corps and that I would need a quick resolution. The judge was a retired Marine, so he kept on me until I went into boot camp."

Likewise, Brown hopes to show his recruits that finishing boot camp is a reachable goal.

"The kids today are less determined," said Brown. "I tell them my story to show them they can overcome their challenges. I tell them how they can beat the drill instructors, I give them other incentives to keep going."

Sempers,

Roger