PDA

View Full Version : New Marine reaches pinnacle of training

thedrifter
06-15-03, 06:30 AM
New Marine reaches pinnacle of training
Submitted by: MCRD San Diego
Story Identification Number: 2003613184950
Story by Cpl. Anthony D. Pike

MARINE CORPS RECRUIT DEPOT SAN DIEGO, Calif.(June 13, 2003) -- For most recruits, the journey toward the title Marine is a three-month battle of mental stamina. In January 2002, on training day 45, more than halfway through recruit training, the three-month journey stopped for one recruit.

On an eight-mile hike, PFC Wydedrick A. Randle, Platoon 3083, Company L, saw his dreams of becoming a Marine tumble as another recruit fell while hiking up a hill.

As the recruit came down the hill Randle was unable to get out of the way and was soon tumbling also, according to Randle.

The extent of Randle's injuries forced him out of recruit training and back to Missouri City, Texas, where he could recover.

"I went back to Texas for surgery," said Randle. "I spent from January 2002 through September recovering."

During that time the 19-year-old spent countless hours rehabilitating his knee. Randle used his athletic background in football and basketball to guide him to a slow and steady recovery.

"I would ride exercise bikes, lift weights and do a little running," said Randle. "I did all the rehab on my own."

Although he may have rehabilitated by himself, Randle had several people to encourage him through the tough times.

"My recruiter helped me to stay motivated after getting out of surgery," said Randle. "I had the same recruiter both times and he helped me to stick with it.

It was just after Thanksgiving when Randle decided to make his way back through recruit training to earn the title Marine.

"On March 17 I came back," said Randle.

When he came back he was ready to train and lead his platoon through recruit training.

"It really showed that he had been here before," said Staff Sgt. Brian Brown, senior drill instructor, Platoon 3083, Company L. "He already knew how to do a bunch of things like marching. He was always helping out the other recruits. I could always hear him telling the other recruits to be quiet or to do something."

Randle walks today proudly around the parade deck completing his journey and holding the title U.S. Marine.

http://www.usmc.mil/marinelink/image1.nsf/Lookup/200361318519/$file/PFC_W_Randle_lr.jpg

After being injured during training, PFC Wydedrick A. Randle, guide, Platoon 3083, Company L, now leads his platoon during their final drill competition.
Photo by: Lance Cpl. Edward R. Guevara Jr.

The Drifter