PDA

View Full Version : IST quick question

KCKpower
01-14-09, 05:40 PM
Hello Marines, im a poolee shipping out in 2 weeks to SD, but i was jsut wondering when you do the IST, as long as you make it under the time given could you walk 100ft if need be to catch your breath??? thats the really only thing im worried about right now b/c i dont want to go to PCP.
Thank you

jtothawhat
01-14-09, 06:02 PM
To answer your question you could but in the same sense you can't. If a DI catches you walking you won't be walking for more than two steps trust me. Stay motivated 1.5 miles is nothing compared to what you will be doing..

BR34
01-14-09, 06:28 PM
This is the total opposite of a quick question.

jeffsnff89
01-14-09, 07:00 PM
Trust me you wont want to walk 100ft. Sooner you get it over with the the more time you get to rest. Its not that hard. just run your heart out and you will make it.

KCKpower
01-14-09, 07:40 PM
thank you guys. im running everyday to make sure i can but you just never know when it actually comes down to it. But your answers have helped.

commdog7
01-14-09, 07:52 PM
It might be different at SD, but in PI you will walk a while after finishing the run. The recruits have to walk in a square (not a circle) until everyone finishes. They do this for the PFT runs as well to help with the cool down.

jeffsnff89
01-14-09, 09:37 PM
Yes they do that to but a circle i belive. my first PFT i did in boot camp the last 1/4 mile and the little circle walk i nearly passed out my friend had to keep holding me up i kept going in and out it was nuts but cool. DRINK WATER AND POWERAID EVERYDAY! It will help stay away from the milk as much as you can.

commdog7
01-14-09, 10:23 PM
I clearly remember doing the square, maybe they changed it. Anyways, I guess the purpose of the square was to work on our marching, as we had to do the pivot movements while holding our canteens at a 90 degree angle and extending our arm six to the front and three to the rear. Ah, good times.

jeffsnff89
01-15-09, 10:20 AM
Oh yea they changed it then we didnt do that. They didnt let us have our canteens until everyone was done with the running.

NoRemorse
01-15-09, 10:56 AM
I clearly remember doing the square, maybe they changed it. Anyways, I guess the purpose of the square was to work on our marching, as we had to do the pivot movements while holding our canteens at a 90 degree angle and extending our arm six to the front and three to the rear. Ah, good times.

And pivot... and pivot.... and pivot... and pivot.... and pivot...

I remember doing that on PT days and the PFT but not for the IST.

Then again, I don't remember much about Receiving and Forming except my forehead on a desk and sleep being 3000 miles away.

E6Meat
01-16-09, 11:19 PM
Ok here is the real deal so you have a clear understanding for your IST run you are required to make it under 13:30, the Drill Instructors are not going to allow you to walk at all during your run, so don't get wrapped up on that part. As far as after your run no matter where you are in the Marine Corps ranging from recruit training to actually out in the Fleet Marine Force where you are doing your job after any unit type of running such as a Physical Fitness Test (PFT) or just a small unit run, you will always be able to do a cool down circle which means you walk for long enough to bring your heart rate down. I hope that helped answer your concern.

Petz
01-16-09, 11:20 PM
didn't you do a search for this?? I'm sure it's out there somewhere... just type IST.

TSchultz
01-17-09, 11:13 AM
Never ever walk until you are finished. Commit yourself to succeed and walking is definetly not putting out max effort. To me, that is failing on yourself.

Good luck.
-Pvt. Schultz