View Full Version : "Don't forget about them"

thedrifter
01-14-09, 03:40 PM
"Don't forget about them"
Comments 0 | Recommend 0
Mother comments on son's third Middle East tour
Wednesday, Jan 14 2009, 1:35 pm
Rebecca Clark

After eight years of constant coverage, the war in the Middle East might seem like yesterday's news to many. But not Melody Bridges.
"I don't want people to feel like it's old news and they're tired of hearing it," said Bridges, mother of Marine Cpl. Bryan Bridges. "I feel like we've made great strides. The public needs to know. Don't get too complacent. Don't forget about them."
Bryan has already served two tours in Iraq. Melody said she didn't initially believe him when he recently told her he had volunteered to return overseas, this time to Afghanistan. His mandated "well-time" between tours was not yet up when he opted to return with his best friend and baraccksmate.
They aren't alone.
Newsweek recently reported that 2008 saw an 85 percent increase in deployment of troops to Afghanistan, the largest surge since 2001. According to Newsweek, an estimated 40,000 American soldiers are fighting on Afghan soil and President-elect Barack Obama has said he intends to increase that number once he takes office.
The area where Bryan is stationed is very remote. While the town itself is calm, Melody said hijacking and other dangers are frequent just five kilometers away. In spite of the danger, she said he felt honored to be asked to be a part of a mission that is just a part of a bigger surge of troops to the area.
"He said this will complete everything we wanted to as Marines," Melody said of her son. "Sometimes I just think, a) why did he want to volunteer. And b) he really did it. He really went over there."
Fox News recently reported the U.S. is preparing to pour at least 20,000 extra troops into the south to combat the Taliban insurgency. The increase in troops is an attempt to not only hold territory, but also win battles in Afghanistan's southern rim against Taliban militants.
"At first, on a mother's heart, I felt that constriction, like the odds are against him on his third tour," Bridges said. "But at the same time, I was OK with it."
She's OK, she said, because her son is doing what he feels he should be doing and is optimistic about his mission.
"He said, 'Mom, you know I'm happiest when I'm doing what I'm trained to do,'" Melody said. "He feels like the group that he's training are better equipped and the mindset is better than the Iraqi armies he's trained. They're not doing it out of desperation. Kind of like him, they want to serve their country. They have a lot of pride."
The country is still struggling to make changes and opium remains a major source of revenue.
"The infrastructure in Afghanistan is very poor, which makes it hard to fight these terrorists," she said.
"I walk through poppy fields every day," Bryan told his mother. "You can't have judgment, you can't criticize, this is the way they live."
"I know he's still in danger," Melody said. "But I can't focus on that."

Ellie