PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Advice

Hunter88
01-14-09, 03:21 PM
I am a college sophomore and i am looking to join the Platoon leaders course. I thought about joining when I was a freshmen but when i went into the recruiting center they were more interested in having me sign the service contract then actually getting me where I wanted to go. So now I know to go into the OSO if I want into the PLC course. So I have been doing more research and it seems, that there is no basic training in the PLC and no real chance of being deployed or pulled out of college. There is just the summer months training to prepare you for OCC and to evaluate you for future leadership. Assuming I am right in this I wanted to receive some sort of a MOS that revolved infantry but more towards force recon or special forces but a MOS 203 seems to be the closest to that and I do not want to simply limit my options to getting that MOS or just living with where ever I am assigned. So I was wondering if there was anyway that I can transfer to The Navy Seal (cause marines and navy are close) or (and I am assuming this is more difficult) army rangers or special forces. I was thinking of this because I know that officers play a more active role in fighting in the army and in navy seals then in the marines because in the marines it is mostly carried out by sergeants and their teams. It seems in the Marines that Officers are more about Logistics. Also I am wondering what other MOS's I should make a priority (even though I know that it is about what the corp needs and not what I want) besides MOS 203 based on my preferences that I listed above.

Enigmatic
01-14-09, 04:44 PM
I am a college sophomore and i am looking to join the Platoon leaders course. I thought about joining when I was a freshmen but when i went into the recruiting center they were more interested in having me sign the service contract then actually getting me where I wanted to go. So now I know to go into the OSO if I want into the PLC course. So I have been doing more research and it seems, that there is no basic training in the PLC and no real chance of being deployed or pulled out of college. There is just the summer months training to prepare you for OCC and to evaluate you for future leadership. Assuming I am right in this I wanted to receive some sort of a MOS that revolved infantry but more towards force recon or special forces but a MOS 203 seems to be the closest to that and I do not want to simply limit my options to getting that MOS or just living with where ever I am assigned. So I was wondering if there was anyway that I can transfer to The Navy Seal (cause marines and navy are close) or (and I am assuming this is more difficult) army rangers or special forces. I was thinking of this because I know that officers play a more active role in fighting in the army and in navy seals then in the marines because in the marines it is mostly carried out by sergeants and their teams. It seems in the Marines that Officers are more about Logistics. Also I am wondering what other MOS's I should make a priority (even though I know that it is about what the corp needs and not what I want) besides MOS 203 based on my preferences that I listed above.

OCC? MOS 203? Transfer to Navy Seals? Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over?!

rvillac2
01-14-09, 06:53 PM
Wow. What college let you in? You need to fill out your profile more completely and read the rules of the site. You are extremely misinformed and ignorant about the roles of officers and the differences between services.

0231Marine
01-15-09, 07:17 AM
The "research" that you conducted is horrible. First of all, Marines is always capitalized. Secondly, it's OCS, not OCC. Thirdly, you can not switch from the Marine Corps to the Navy Seals or any other branch's special forces. What you can do is join the Marine Corps, serve your time in it, get out and enlist in another branch. Then once you've spent time in that service, you can apply to go through BUDs or Ranger school.

Finally, you have a very big misconception about what an infantry officer does. There are admin officers but grunt officers start out as platoon commanders and are out there with their men on patrols everyday. As you progress through the ranks, you'll become a Company XO, then CO and after you pick up Major, then you might get some time away from the line companies but that's not for about 8 or 9 years when you'll become a Battalion Ops Officer. I think you need to go back and do a lot more research and decide if the Marine Corps is something you really want to do or if you'd be better going into the Navy or Army.

And fill out your profile or nobody else is going to help you.

nighbert
01-15-09, 08:19 AM
As a former Force Reconnaissance Marine and team member I cannot believe that you consider other options. However, like others have stated your research is very disappointing. Please obtain and know the facts first and talk to actual members before you post. If you had done some more research you will find many military sites that will give you contact numbers to the Commanding officers and their staff. Should you find one of them in your research you may want to call them. I'm sure an actual operator will guide you through everything. Well, he may tell you some of the facts but the truth of the matter is Force Recon, SEAL, SF and Ranger Training is not easy and even if you pass the course it still does not Guarantee you will be accepted into the community.
Semper Fi