PDA

View Full Version : Teen collects packages for Marines serving tours in Iraq

thedrifter
01-14-09, 06:31 AM
Teen collects packages for Marines serving tours in Iraq

TOPSAIL VOICE
By Connie Pletl
Published: Wednesday, January 7, 2009 10:06 AM EST
HAMPSTEAD – While many teens use the their Christmas break to hang out with friends and family, one local girl used her time to collect things to US Marines serving in Iraq.

Mandi Wall, 15, of Hampstead, said she decided to collect for the Marines after Kathryn Maurer, the new Topsail High School Spanish teacher and cheerleading coach, asked her students to send letters to her husband’s platoon for Christmas.

“In the spirit of the season, I asked them to write a letter,” said Maurer, whose husband is a Marine sergeant serving in Iraq.

Many of the students complied and wrote letters for the Marines. When the letters were ready to be sent out, Wall’s mother, Vickie, called and said her office had boxes that they would like to send, too.

Wall said that gave her an idea – she wanted to gather items over the Christmas break to make packages to send to the Marines.

However, she knew she would need assistance.

Wall went around her Forest Sound community, talking to neighbors and leaving letters explaining what she wanted to do.

“At first the response was slow, I was getting scared. It was probably because people were busy with Christmas.” said Wall.

But as the deadline neared, things soon changed.

“Things started pouring in, boxes full of things,” said Wall.

Some of the items were brought to her house, others were collected by Wall, her mother and her sisters.

“My sisters were a tremendous help. My whole family is close and we did this together,” said Wall.

All in all, they had enough items to create eight packages to send to the Marines.

Maurer said she was touched by what Wall had done.

“It was overwhelming. I was surprised and very touched,” said Maurer. “I really appreciated it, and I know the Marines are really going to appreciate it when they get the packages.”

Wall said she is very proud of the military and what they do for our country, and she was proud to be able to do something to show her – and her community’s — support.

“I just wish I could be there when they get the packages,” said Wall.

Mandi Wall is the daughter of Eddie and Vickie Wall of Hampstead.

Ellie