PDA

View Full Version : Pentagon unveils official portrait of former Chairman of the Joint Chiefs

thedrifter
01-14-09, 06:29 AM
WASHINGTON — Government officials unveiled 16th Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Gen. Peter Pace's official portrait during a ceremony in the Pentagon Auditorium today.

Several senior military leaders, including the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Adm. Michael G. Mullen, were at the event to pay tribute to Pace's career, which spanned more than four decades.

Pace said the event was an opportunity to look back and give thanks to all of the individuals who have made a difference in his life.

“Any success I have had is attributable to the great young guys and gals I worked with all along the way, especially the Marine and other service's staff noncommissioned officers who would give me their very candid advice,” Pace, a Teaneck, N.J., native, said. “Today was a chance to come back into this building and say thanks one more time to everybody who has worked with me.”

The portrait was painted by Peter E. Egeli, who has devoted more than 50 years of his career as a portrait and Marine artist. The painting will hang inside the Pentagon along the Chairmen's Corridor.
Pace, who retired from the Marine Corps Oct. 1, 2007, after more than 40 years of service, is currently serving on the board of directors for several corporate entities involved in management consulting, private equity and information technology security. He also serves on the Secretary of Defense's Policy Board.