PDA

View Full Version : Cell Phones and Deployments

Nicky the Great
01-13-09, 03:13 PM
Hi, I know this isn't a very important question, but I am curious because it would be a convenient way to stay in touch with home.

When I am mostly likely deployed to Iraq or Afghanistan, are enlisted infantry personnel permitted to have cell phones?

Phantom Blooper
01-13-09, 03:22 PM
"Can you hear me now?"

I haven't been to Iraq or Afghanistan that is after my time. But a few years ago I donated calling cards for the Marines to use to call home.

I may be wrong but I don't believe that you would have a network over there.

Matter of fact cell phones and PC's were before my time....we had MAR's and paper and pen....Archaic isn't it.

Maybe someone who has been there could provide up to date scoop....but who knows?:evilgrin:

rvillac2
01-13-09, 04:36 PM
How about we beef up that profile "great" one.

0231Marine
01-13-09, 08:46 PM
I can't speak for Afghanistan but in Iraq, there is service depending on where you are. However, the price is going to kill you if you call because you'll be in roaming status and it's like $8 a...

Nicky the Great
01-14-09, 12:55 AM
I already checked with my service provider (ATT), and there is a loophole in my contract. Yes, phone calls will cost a ridiculous amount. However, data usage will cost the same amount (and I have unlimited data). So, text/picture/video messaging, email, instant messaging, and general internet use would be fine.

What I need to know is: Will I be permitted to have a cellphone?

Petz
01-14-09, 01:11 AM
nope.... won't work...

you can get a SatPhone.... that'll be fine.

just 'cause you saw Marky Mark do it in "three Kings" doesn't mean you'lll be able to use cell phones.

SatPhones though... well our CO was rich and he had 3 of them... that he let us use.... unlimited calling... very cool guy, he was a Mustang.

Nicky the Great
01-14-09, 01:25 AM
I have this (http://www.htc.com/www/product/tytnii/overview.html) phone. If there's a signal, it'll work.

I just need to know if I will be allowed to have it.

Petz
01-14-09, 01:27 AM
probably not... security reasons... we have millions of dollars in encrypted communications for a reason... besides cell phones set off IEDs.

besides.. that won't last two weeks.

saltyone
01-14-09, 01:31 AM
I have this (http://www.htc.com/www/product/tytnii/overview.html) phone. If there's a signal, it'll work.

I just need to know if I will be allowed to have it.

Compare to a SAT phone...

http://www.rentcell.com/buy-satellite-phone.htm

Nicky the Great
01-14-09, 01:33 AM
besides.. that won't last two weeks.

Haha, why do you say that? This little phone has been through a lot since I got it over a year ago. It doesn't look tough, but has fallen out of a moving car at about 15mph, and still works like a charm.

Besides, I wouldn't take it on patrols or anything.

Petz
01-14-09, 01:35 AM
have you been to combat with it? nuff said.

Nicky the Great
01-14-09, 01:36 AM
I don't plan on bringing into combat.

0231Marine
01-14-09, 07:09 AM
The point he's trying to make is I think you under estimate how much sand and other crap gets into places you didn't know you had. After my first deployment, I had to throw away my laptop which only sat in my room for the whole deployment because it had so much sand that you could build a castle. Your own electronic eqiupment has a high chance of being destroyed if you take it with you.

Nicky the Great
01-14-09, 10:50 PM
Good point...

If I do bring it, I'll keep it inside a plastic bag when not in use. And I won't use it when the sand is...blowing.

commdog7
01-14-09, 11:03 PM
I've known of Marines who took their personnal cell phone to Iraq and only talked for less than 20 minutes but got charged about 2,000 dollars! Calling cards are the best way to go. Normally the base...

Petz
01-15-09, 03:10 PM
he's not gonna listen..... stop wasting your breath... he's sold on the idea before even posting the thread.

Phantom Blooper
01-15-09, 04:33 PM
By the time you deploy that phone will be out of date anyhow!

Make it to boot camp...become a Marine....then maybe...just maybe oh wise one you will have sense to pay attention to the "GREATER ONES" that have gone before you!:evilgrin:

DocGreek
01-15-09, 05:14 PM
WHAT???? CELL PHONES???? Just which Boot Camp, did these people go to???? AIR FORCE??? I BET, they were allowed to call MOMMY, every weekend!! I don't post in the Poolie Area, BUT.....WTF? What happens, if a Boot keeps screwing up? How many times, during Boot, do they allow trips to the "gedunk"?......CONCERNED.....Doc Greek....P.S......LAPTOPS, IN COUNTRY???? WTF??

Enigmatic
01-15-09, 05:29 PM
WHAT???? CELL PHONES???? Just which Boot Camp, did these people go to???? AIR FORCE??? I BET, they were allowed to call MOMMY, every weekend!! I don't post in the Poolie Area, BUT.....WTF? What happens, if a Boot keeps screwing up? How many times, during Boot, do they allow trips to the "gedunk"?......CONCERNED.....Doc Greek....P.S......LAPTOPS, IN COUNTRY???? WTF??

You make no sense whatsoever on this one, Doc....and I'm starting to see that pattern in many of your posts. New medication or something?

DocGreek
01-15-09, 05:50 PM
Corporal....what don't you understand, about my very straight, and very simple questions? MARINE BOOT CAMP, is NOT the same as it was 15 years ago. You didn't know that? Cell phones on Deployment? Are you serious? LAPTOPS, on Deployment? Are you serious about that too? What little nerve, did I pinch that got YOU all worked up? HEY! If you're guarding The Marine Corps, "Esprit de Corps"....lighten up! It was JUST some questions!!...I'm ALWAYS FAITHFUL....but not blind, OR STUPID!....Doc "I've been there, got the T-Shirt".....Greek

commdog7
01-15-09, 09:21 PM
It depends on the unit. Most units will not allow cell phones in the field nor on deployment. You might be able to sneak them with you but if you get caught, depending on your unit, it might cost you a stripe or two. Laptops aren't normally allowed in the field, as least in the units I've been too. You can take them to Iraq because you will probably have a lot of free time. Most supporting units don't have much to do when they are not working (eat, sleep, work), therefore having a laptop is no big deal- you won't have internet on it though.

Old Marine
01-15-09, 09:50 PM
Corporal....what don't you understand, about my very straight, and very simple questions? MARINE BOOT CAMP, is NOT the same as it was 15 years ago. You didn't know that? Cell phones on Deployment? Are you serious? LAPTOPS, on Deployment? Are you serious about that too? What little nerve, did I pinch that got YOU all worked up? HEY! If you're guarding The Marine Corps, "Esprit de Corps"....lighten up! It was JUST some questions!!...I'm ALWAYS FAITHFUL....but not blind, OR STUPID!....Doc "I've been there, got the T-Shirt".....Greek

You got it right Doc. It sure sounds like things have turned in to a seabag full of claw hammers. Im guessing that kids these days cannot get along without their phone or computer and thats a shame. I can just picture one of them getting a call during a firefight. Amazing.

usmcmsf
01-15-09, 10:12 PM
You got it right Doc. It sure sounds like things have turned in to a seabag full of claw hammers. Im guessing that kids these days cannot get along without their phone or computer and thats a shame. I can just picture one of them getting a call during a firefight. Amazing.

Hey can I call you back, i'm getting shot at. HaHa

outlaw3179
01-15-09, 10:16 PM
Its called technology, it advances, so do we. Laptops, Satphones, GPS, Night Vision. All these pieces of technology might have been futuristic and unbelievable back then but Its part of the Marine Corps and the military now.

commdog7
01-15-09, 10:23 PM
Technology's great, it is the difference between writing home and calling home in a combat theater. Salty Marines shouldn't be putting down technological advances, they should be embracing it, as it directly affects unit morale.

outlaw3179
01-15-09, 10:26 PM
Dont forget Marines still learn and practice basic skills. Land Nav, Call for fire, basic infantry skills. Batteries don't last forever, but if you have the technology , use it and learn to use it effectively .

Petz
01-15-09, 11:42 PM
that tech issue is one of the reasons I don't exactly agree with qualifying with the ACOGs on the rifle range.... what happens when the glass breaks and you have to use old Iron Sights... oops, I missed one!

Old Marine
01-16-09, 09:33 AM
Its called technology, it advances, so do we. Laptops, Satphones, GPS, Night Vision. All these pieces of technology might have been futuristic and unbelievable back then but Its part of the Marine Corps and the military now.

I know exactly what it is called Outlaw. Technology is great, but some of the same technology such as an ipod have no place in a combat inviroment. We old guys never had any of this so called technology and we never seemed to lose our morale.

Yep, I guess our Marines are really being coddled these days.

Everything changes I guess.

Petz
01-16-09, 12:41 PM
gunny, I agree with you... though it's nice to have it when you get back from a mission.... it does nothing but make people issolate themselves from the rest of the platoon.

back in the day it was social games of cards which would bring people together....

hell we deployed with comm repair (elmaco) who had a crap load of ISO container space (they worked in a double wide) that they had some extra TVs, and we all watched a haji movie every night together then played cards or some other junk....

I think it's counter unifying to have stuff so people can sit in a corner and play by themselves....

0231Marine
01-16-09, 12:48 PM
Maybe some of those Marines want to spend their down time by themselves thinking about what they've been doing? I don't recall a rule saying that Marines have to spend time with other Marines 24/7. ...

Petz
01-16-09, 12:59 PM
like the gunny said.... didn't have it before... you had your brothers you could talk to....

though I understand that there are some hard headed mutherfvckers who don't listen and call someone a pvssy for having issues.... I think that it's best to do "entertainment" as a platoon.... I'm still talking with the guys from my '03 deployment and only one is still in.

no can you say the same thing for you??? I'd say that there are only a few that you still talk to.

mind you I'm not best friends with some of them (I was the annoying one if anyone wants to know) but I still contact with them because we all shared the same experiences and we know what the others were feeling.

it's called bonded for those who don't do this stuff now (not directed at you 0231)... it's what makes the Corps so great, it's why we have made a name for ourselves in the past, and hopefully continue to do such in the future.

and 0231, I didn't say they shouldn't be allowed to listen to music, god only knows how much marriachi music I had to listen to while working at WTI in yuma.... I wasn't allowed to touch the radio!!! I still hear the yelping....

for the record, this may not apply to everyone, but It's what I feel and I'm entitled to my opinion.

0231Marine
01-16-09, 01:02 PM
Roger that SSgt...can't hate you for your opinion :)

Nicky the Great
01-16-09, 03:33 PM
Ok, like I said in the first post, this isn't a big deal for me. Either I can have it or not. I'm not gonna **** myself because I can't go on myspace. I would LIKE to bring my cellphone because it does more than just make calls (email, news, ect) and because it would be better than waiting to use a public computer or something. But it is not a necessity for me to have it, especially if it is somehow a threat to opsec.

And for the record, I prefer Iron Sights... haha

thedrifter
01-16-09, 03:46 PM
Ok, like I said in the first post, this isn't a big deal for me. Either I can have it or not. I'm not gonna **** myself because I can't go on myspace. I would LIKE to bring my cellphone because it does more than just make calls (email, news, ect) and because it would be better than waiting to use a public computer or something. But it is not a necessity for me to have it, especially if it is somehow a threat to opsec.

And for the record, I prefer Iron Sights... haha

That's`All Folks