PDA

View Full Version : Injured Marine, parents headed to D.C.

thedrifter
01-12-09, 07:18 AM
Injured Marine, parents headed to D.C.

By Rick Dandes
The Daily Item

January 12, 2009 07:47 am

— SHAMOKIN — Joshua Christian’s fourth military tour in Iraq came to a sudden, crashing halt in late 2006 when, within months, he was severely wounded by two roadside bombs that caused traumatic brain injury, from which he has yet to fully recover.

Christian’s valor in trying to help his fellow Marines during the bombings, while he himself was severely injured, earned a Purple Heart on Feb. 9, 2007, for the 26-year-old petty officer second class of the 2nd Medical Battalion, 2nd Marine Logistics Group.

But his real reward, according to his parents, Carl and Debbie Christian, was returning home to his family in East Cameron Town
ship, a community that has since honored his service and love of country.
It was after Joshua Christian’s homecoming that he was befriended by U.S. Sen. Robert Casey, who sat down to dinner with the family last May and has helped ensure that the wounded veteran get the best care possible.

Another honor came his way recently when Joshua and his parents accepted an invitation by Casey to attend Barack Obama’s inauguration on Jan. 20.
Joshua never thought he’d be in attendance when Obama was sworn in as the 44th president of the United States.

Casey spokeswoman Kendra Barkoff said the senator’s office received more than 20,000 requests for tickets to the inauguration and “the senator wanted to invite specific constituents, whom he has come in contact with who represent the challenges Pennsylvanians are facing.”

The Christians were given three of the 393 tickets Casey was allotted to hand out for the event, Barkoff said.

“Oh my goodness, when I got the call from Casey’s office, I was breathless,” Mrs. Christian said. “This was totally unexpected. I can’t even imagine. We’re fortunate to be invited. We’re all thrilled.”

Even Joshua, who says little, expressed excitement. “I’m happy,” he said, nodding quietly.

Carl Christian called Casey “a straight-up guy. Someone who has helped Josh through some tough times. This trip to Washington is going to be a once-in-a-lifetime experience. My entire family is honored to be Sen. Casey’s guest.”
The Christians aren’t sure what lies in store for them in Washington, or where they’ll be seated.

But at least they know where they will be staying. “The hotel booking situation was terrible,” he said. “We finally found a place to stay at a hotel near the Baltimore-Washington International Airport. I’m still not sure how we’ll get to Washington from there.”

Casey’s Washington office will be open Saturday through Jan. 19. Invited guests have to pick up their own tickets, the Christians were told.

“About all I know for sure is that we’ll be Casey’s guest at a special reception after the inauguration,” Mrs. Christian said.

They also have been told to leave their hotel room at 4 a.m. on inauguration day.

“It’s going to be a very long day and a very long weekend, especially for Josh,” his father said. “But I’m sure it’s something he will remember. And so will we.”

Ellie