PDA

View Full Version : NCO Sword Question

commdog7
01-12-09, 02:01 AM
The star on the NCO sword (I believe it was called a quillon from my Cpl's course days, but I may be mistaken), many people confuse it with the star of David even though it has nothing to do with the Jewish religion. My question is what does that star represent?

I have heard a few rumors, but no one seems to know for sure. I can't seem to find it in any Marines Corps manuals or even on the internet. Little help?

psyclopsus
06-19-09, 08:54 PM
STAR ON NCO SWORD

In reference to your question regarding what appears to be the star of David on the NCO sword:
I believe that is actually the star of Damascus. Damascus, Syria was renowned for its steel and swords (very secretive art to making this steel, the method & formula for which is still not fully known today). The craftsmen formed a guild (sort of a union) of sword makers and their symbol was this six-pointed star, which became known as the star of Damascus.
The use of this symbol was revived by Wilkerson sword makers (though they weren't making actual Damascus steel) to symbolize excellence (i.e.-it was a marketing ploy). Other sword makers quickly copied the symbol on their own swords.
The original swords made bore this symbol so now I suppose it's a tradition. Long live traditions.
Sgt. Richard Allen
USMC Reserve, Public Affairs, 1993 - 1998

Answer was found here:

http://www.grunt.com/scuttlebutt/newsarchives/2002/sep_26.asp

Pete0331
06-19-09, 09:05 PM
The star on the NCO sword (I believe it was called a quillon from my Cpl's course days, but I may be mistaken), many people confuse it with the star of David even though it has nothing to do with the Jewish religion. My question is what does that star represent?

I have heard a few rumors, but no one seems to know for sure. I can't seem to find it in any Marines Corps manuals or even on the internet. Little help?

The quillion is another name for the cross guards on a sword.
The USMC NCO sword has one quillion.