PDA

View Full Version : My story, which led me to where I am now! (if in the wrong place MODs, please move)

Tolerance
01-11-09, 11:39 PM
What's up Marines/Pooles. I just registered and I decided to share my story with this board. My story's rather long, so I'll CLIFF this to the best of my abilities! <br />
<br />
I graduated in June 2008. My...

echo3oscar1833
01-12-09, 06:49 AM
Damn, dude that sucks, at least you stuck it out to get out of the Army Contract, to join the Corps. Instead of going Army and being stuck doing something you were miserable doing. I would make sure to call that First Sergeant, and thank him for telling you the truth.

Marine84
01-12-09, 09:34 AM
Just from what I read...................I think you're choosing the Corps for ALL the wrong reasons. If you really want to go to school, there are other ways of doing it besides choosing any branch of service.

Your plan may work out for you but, what are you going to do if your Unit gets called up? You can't tell them "I have a final tomorrow that I can't miss".

Petz
01-12-09, 10:03 AM
are you going reserves or active duty? if you put off college for 4 years, you'll have the new GI bill and your expenses are paid for, and you still be in the reserves making a little extra money and get promoted while you are at it.

if you go reserves and you get called up... you do have the ability to drop out of those classes and get your money re-imbursed if they aren't willing to drop you in another class for free or work out a re-take on your test.

I deployed with some reservists and they were all ****ed about college, none of them wanted to talk about it.. haha, it was funny when you think about it.

just stick to what you feel it right and in the end you will have no regrets.

SGT7477
01-12-09, 10:03 AM
I agree with 84.

Tolerance
01-12-09, 11:11 AM
oops... LOL I'm sorry Marines! I guess I got tired and left some stuff out.......

I'm going ACTIVE now.

-I already missed 2 semesters of college
-realized benefits for ACTIVE > reserves.
-If I go reserves, I'm stuck with a Comm job. If I go active, I can get INTEL (which, I hear is better and more beneficial?). I want to work for the government and/or get into politics when im older.

Sgt Petzold... I agree with you 100%! gives me even better insight on why to go active!

I've gotten advice from a bunch of former Marines, Marines, and Sailors that I've spoken with that make me make the Active decision (does my mom hate it? HELL YES. but unfortunately, It's what I have to do).

What made me make my final decision was speaking with my friend's girlfriend (he does Recon, been in for 2 years). She did college for a year, did a summer of OCS, and she basically said screw it, she wanted Parris Island and wanetd to be in the Corps already. She explained to me that the benefits of Active OUTWEIGH Reserves. The pay, the GI Bill, benefits, etc.

I'm pretty happy with my decision and if ANY Marines have criticism, please post it up. I want everybody's opinion, especially Marines in the fleet!

My only regrets?...........................
-taking the SAT so much in college, thinking I was landing in college first
-wasting money applying to so much colleges
-not knowing I was going to join the Corps first before college
-not realizing that it's better to do it now, instead of waiting 4 years after i graduate college and "maybe" wanting to do it, since i already have my degree and all.
-not realizing active>reserves for 1st timers.

In the end, I'm glad that Army riasco happened. WHY? Because I wouldnt been a reservist Marine like my friend, and have my college SCREWED because he's going to Afghanistan in the summer and his schooling is geting messed up (EXACTLY WHAT I DIDNT WANT!!!!)

0231Marine
01-12-09, 11:29 AM
First off, it's SSgt Petzold. Just because you DEP'd Army first doesn't mean you call everyone above E-5, Sarge.

Secondly, if you've got any questions regarding Intel, you can throw them my way and I'll give you the low down without any sugar coated B.S.

If it can wait until Sunday, I plan on posting a novel in regards to the 0231 MOS since I get a couple poolee's a week pm'ing me with the same questions...what is the job like, what is Iraq like, are there jobs after the Marine Corps for 0231's? Hopefully it will get made into a sticky so I'll be posting that Sunday if you can wait.

Tolerance
01-12-09, 11:51 AM
First off, it's SSgt Petzold. Just because you DEP'd Army first doesn't mean you call everyone above E-5, Sarge.

Secondly, if you've got any questions regarding Intel, you can throw them my way and I'll give you the low down without any sugar coated B.S.

If it can wait until Sunday, I plan on posting a novel in regards to the 0231 MOS since I get a couple poolee's a week pm'ing me with the same questions...what is the job like, what is Iraq like, are there jobs after the Marine Corps for 0231's? Hopefully it will get made into a sticky so I'll be posting that Sunday if you can wait.

damn, I have a tendency to call e5-e7 sgt... My SSGT recruiter chews me out bc of it :cry: Sorry SSGT PETZOLD!!!

secondly, AMAZING idea of you doing a write up on it.

I'm most likely going to MEPS tho this week and, if I remember correctly, there's only one spot open for intel and this other kid wants it as well sooooo I'm pretty sure I'm gonna sign for it if it's open!!! I've heard more good than bad, so I'm pretty sure I'd end up with that.

I'm looking forward to your write up on 0231's tho. If you post it before sunday, give me a heads up if you could! :)

0231Marine
01-12-09, 12:17 PM
It won't be before Sunday just because I've got other stuff going on but sometime in the early afternoon so look for it then.

In the mean time, I would suggest that if it's something that interests you and it's available, then take it.

Petz
01-12-09, 01:05 PM
Motivated Cpl of Marines... yut.

YAMM YAS.

Enigmatic
01-12-09, 05:51 PM
OOH-RAH 0231 Marine. I was gonna ask you some intel questions myself, LOL....been thinking bout lat-moving if I go back in. Both Intel and Infantry are at the top of my wish list.....

Zulu 36
01-12-09, 06:59 PM
damn, I have a tendency to call e5-e7 sgt... My SSGT recruiter chews me out bc of it :cry: Sorry SSGT PETZOLD!!!

secondly, AMAZING idea of you doing a write up on it.

I'm most likely going to MEPS tho this week and, if I remember correctly, there's only one spot open for intel and this other kid wants it as well sooooo I'm pretty sure I'm gonna sign for it if it's open!!! I've heard more good than bad, so I'm pretty sure I'd end up with that.

I'm looking forward to your write up on 0231's tho. If you post it before sunday, give me a heads up if you could! :)

Another little tip, an Army 1stSgt or SgtMaj might let you get away with calling him/her "Top." Don't even think that word around a Marine 1stSgt or SgtMaj. They have ESP and will kill you.

In fact, it's better not to think that word around a Marine MSgt or MGySgt either.

Tolerance
01-12-09, 08:16 PM
Another little tip, an Army 1stSgt or SgtMaj might let you get away with calling him/her "Top." Don't even think that word around a Marine 1stSgt or SgtMaj. They have ESP and will kill you.

In fact, it's better not to think that word around a Marine MSgt or MGySgt either.

I wasn't even aware of the Army using the term "Top". I thought that term (if I remember correctly) referred to E8s in the USMC.

Zulu 36
01-13-09, 06:04 AM
I wasn't even aware of the Army using the term "Top". I thought that term (if I remember correctly) referred to E8s in the USMC.

You might hear the term "Top" applied to a Marine MSgt or MGySgt, but generally if you aren't an NCO with an established good reputation, you won't be allowed to use the term. Never, ever, call a Marine 1stSgt or SgtMaj by that word. As I said, those people will kill you if you did - or make you wish you were dead.

0231Marine
01-13-09, 07:22 AM
I've never heard it in reference to a First Sgt or Sgt Major but usually is commonplace for a MSgt. We only had one who didn't like being called "Top" and if someone did, he'd be like, "Boy, do I look like a Top? Do you want me to do a little dance and spin for you?" It was pretty funny and he was pretty cool about it. Reminded me of somthing you'd see in Super Troopers.

Petz
01-13-09, 11:05 AM
a MGySgt is not a "Top" he's either MGySgt or MGuns.... never heard anything different.

and I've never called any SNCO anything other than their rank until I became an NCO... then it was only GySgt to gunny.... when I picked up Sgt I started say Top and MGuns...

I suppose it all depends on your billet and what ranks you work around on a daily basis.

Enigmatic
01-13-09, 05:42 PM
a MGySgt is not a "Top" he's either MGySgt or MGuns.... never heard anything different.

and I've never called any SNCO anything other than their rank until I became an NCO... then it was only GySgt to gunny.... when I picked up Sgt I started say Top and MGuns...

I suppose it all depends on your billet and what ranks you work around on a daily basis.

Yes very true. As a LCpl company clerk for a HUGE company (something like 900 Marines) I mostly dealt with SNCOs and above. I felt at ease talking to them but I was careful not to say anything to offend them.

I think I only called one MSgt "Top" and that's only cause he told me to call him that, said everyone in his shop did. I worked for 1stSgts my entire enlistment so I knew better than to EVER call one of them "Top" if I valued my life...

Zulu 36
01-13-09, 06:13 PM
Of course a big clue is how officers address First Sergeants and Sergeants Major. I never, ever heard an officer of any rank (including general officers) address those enlisted ranks by anything other than the full title. MSgts and MGySgts, I heard called "Top" or "Master Guns" by field grade officers or mustang company grades, but not always.

I do have a question for our newer Marines (post-1978). Are Lieutenants still commonly addressed as "Mister"?

When I was in, this was the normal form of address for all Warrant Officers and Marine Lieutenants (or Navy Ensigns, Lt j.g., and Lieutenants). Marine WOs were alternatively addressed as "Gunner" even if they didn't have the bursting bomb device.

0231Marine
01-13-09, 08:51 PM
I think I'm one of the few enlisted Marines in this era who knows about the "mister" designation for WO's and LT's. I never actually heard it used but a WO I worked for educated me on the background and history of the term.

WO's are still very commonly referred to as "gunner" regardless of them being the infantry gunner or not. It's a lot easier than saying, "Chief Warrant Officer 3 Such and Such"...just, "Gunner".

Petz
01-13-09, 10:32 PM
never called them mister... just sir...

same with the WOs only time I used their real rank was when refering to them... other than that... if the people knew who he was, I'd call them "the ma'am" or "the sir"

"go take this the the sir on your way over to the company office cpl... thanks"

"the ma'am wants us to make sure the PMs are done on all those trucks by tomorrow...thanks"

and for LTs... didn't matter which type... we'd call them Lt. soandso...

had one 1st LT talk about himself in the third person and when called Lt. "smith" he corrected me and said, "I'm 1st Lt, cpl do I call PFCs Private?" when I replied that he "...needs to worry more about getting promoted via fit reps now that he's a 1st Lt and stop worrying about what Enlisted Marines call him because he's probably going to hear a lot worse."

he just turned away and carried on about his buisness....

I wonder if he ever stayed in after his 4 year commitment???

NoRemorse
01-14-09, 07:33 AM
never called them mister... just sir...

same with the WOs only time I used their real rank was when refering to them... other than that... if the people knew who he was, I'd call them "the ma'am" or "the sir"

"go take this the the sir on your way over to the company office cpl... thanks"

"the ma'am wants us to make sure the PMs are done on all those trucks by tomorrow...thanks"

and for LTs... didn't matter which type... we'd call them Lt. soandso...

had one 1st LT talk about himself in the third person and when called Lt. "smith" he corrected me and said, "I'm 1st Lt, cpl do I call PFCs Private?" when I replied that he "...needs to worry more about getting promoted via fit reps now that he's a 1st Lt and stop worrying about what Enlisted Marines call him because he's probably going to hear a lot worse."

he just turned away and carried on about his buisness....

I wonder if he ever stayed in after his 4 year commitment???

SSgt Pesto: ruining careers one Marine at a time.

LOL:D

Petz
01-14-09, 10:50 AM
well, you know you get to a point where they either learn from someone who's going to forget it after they leave your presence (Enlisted Marines) or they learn it from their boss who will ensure it's on their FitRep.... a smart man would accept criticism from enlisted Marines who have been in longer than him.