PDA

View Full Version : My rant about the state of North Carolina

Accord
01-10-09, 07:06 PM
I hate this damn state, I feel like i'm living in a post-apocolyptic America, except instead of biologically altered zombies running around, it's a bunch of ignorant, bible thumping, confederate flag waiving, rednecks. I look outside my window at trees with no leaves on it, I drive down endless country roads through corn fields on the way to work which is located in a city that is literally the armpit of this country and I just get depressed. I spent almost a year in a hell hole called Afghanistan and despite seeing horrible things and getting shot at every day, i'd rather spend another year in Afghanistan than another year in North Carolina. I try finding things to do like going to some of the decently sized cities like Raleigh or Charlotte, but still there is just nothing there. When I place an internet order and I put in "North Carolina" under the shipping information, it depresses me. Mabye I feel this way because my home town is Miami and I know that the grass is infact greener on the other side. The only reason I live here is because the United States government is forcing me to, and it is beyond me why anyone would ever decide to live here by choice unless they were either A) born here and don't know any different, or B) make a lot of money by living here. When I turn my local news on, I want to hear real news, not about the prize winning 350 pound hamlet named Jenny who won the contest for fattest pig at the farmers auction. When I went home to Miami for the first time in more than a year I actually cried when I stepped off the plane and saw my first palm tree and felt the 100% humidity touch my skin for the first time. People were actually walking around in shorts and lightly colored pastel shirts, not dungaree's, 25 year old timberland boots, plaid flannel shirts, and neon orange hunting hats. It was beautiful, just beautiful and at that very moment was the first time i've ever appreciated being... alive. The only thing more depressing? The closest state in relation to where I am right now is South Carolina.

Any fellow North Carolinian's (*barf*) feel the same way?

On another note, let's also see how many people i've ****ed off on here.

yellowwing
01-10-09, 07:20 PM
Okay I'm going to get all Zen on you. Don't look for Miami in North Carolina, it's not there.

Sgt Jim
01-10-09, 07:33 PM
Do they still roll up the sidewalks at 12:00 at night

thedrifter
01-10-09, 07:33 PM
Okay I'm going to get all Zen on you. Don't look for Miami in North Carolina, it's not there.

No it's not here....I'm a Big City girl(Philly) and it took me a long time to adapt...

Still doing that but do have friends (Retired and Active Marines) that keep things up beat...Most of the Marines are from the north....:)

I bartend at Spankys and most of the time hang out there....

Ellie

SlingerDun
01-10-09, 07:39 PM
hehaheaehe plaid shirts and gun racks are America pard! The izod raybanned docker chino shiney boy Don Johnson lookin types are all but alien except on the geographical fringes.... Miami, San Fransisco, New York, Houston, L.A. hehehe But the orange hats round here are seasonal and it used to be Herman Survivor boots until Walmart turned them to craphttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon6.gif

--->Dave

usmcmsf
01-10-09, 07:46 PM
Whats wrong with neon orange hunting hats? haha

Isrowei
01-10-09, 07:57 PM
Better get down to the Commissary to get some cheese for that whine...

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-10-09, 08:12 PM
Accord, I hated NC when I got there as well. I was even trying to find a way to get sent back to 29 Palms to escape the place. But, I ended up liking it- we've even talked about heading to Beaufort on vacation this summer.

It isn't Florida, they do actually experience most of the seasons. But, it isn't all bad. The bigger cities are much like any other big city- which is both good and bad. My favorite things to do to "escape" were to head toward ECU or UNC-Wilmington and pretend I was once again a college student. If you don't roll into town with a car load of Marines in tow, you can actually have a pretty good time and not have to worry about the issues that come with being with a train load of Marines.

SGTBrentG
01-10-09, 08:18 PM
When I first went there, I called my mom and told there that if God was going to give the world an enema, He'd stick in Jacksonville, NC. And I thought that way for years. But then I visited Miami about 4 years ago.

:banana:

mcvet57103
01-10-09, 08:23 PM
Accord, I hated NC when I got there as well. I was even trying to find a way to get sent back to 29 Palms to escape the place. But, I ended up liking it- we've even talked about heading to Beaufort on vacation this summer.

It isn't Florida, they do actually experience most of the seasons. But, it isn't all bad. The bigger cities are much like any other big city- which is both good and bad. My favorite things to do to "escape" were to head toward ECU or UNC-Wilmington and pretend I was once again a college student. If you don't roll into town with a car load of Marines in tow, you can actually have a pretty good time and not have to worry about the issues that come with being with a train load of Marines.Only thing I didn't like about North Carolina was the cockroaches, and fire ants everywhere. Loved to go crabing, and in season shrimping. Fishing the pier at Emerald Isle, Catching Croakers. Hush Puppies at the restraunt by the pier. Swimming in the ocean. Riding off road in the woods behind TTII on my dirt bike. I could go on and on.

ggyoung
01-10-09, 08:37 PM
I hate this damn state, I feel like i'm living in a post-apocolyptic America, except instead of biologically altered zombies running around, it's a bunch of ignorant, bible thumping, confederate flag waiving, rednecks. I look outside my window at trees with no leaves on it, I drive down endless country roads through corn fields on the way to work which is located in a city that is literally the armpit of this country and I just get depressed. I spent almost a year in a hell hole called Afghanistan and despite seeing horrible things and getting shot at every day, i'd rather spend another year in Afghanistan than another year in North Carolina. I try finding things to do like going to some of the decently sized cities like Raleigh or Charlotte, but still there is just nothing there. When I place an internet order and I put in "North Carolina" under the shipping information, it depresses me. Mabye I feel this way because my home town is Miami and I know that the grass is infact greener on the other side. The only reason I live here is because the United States government is forcing me to, and it is beyond me why anyone would ever decide to live here by choice unless they were either A) born here and don't know any different, or B) make a lot of money by living here. When I turn my local news on, I want to hear real news, not about the prize winning 350 pound hamlet named Jenny who won the contest for fattest pig at the farmers auction. When I went home to Miami for the first time in more than a year I actually cried when I stepped off the plane and saw my first palm tree and felt the 100% humidity touch my skin for the first time. People were actually walking around in shorts and lightly colored pastel shirts, not dungaree's, 25 year old timberland boots, plaid flannel shirts, and neon orange hunting hats. It was beautiful, just beautiful and at that very moment was the first time i've ever appreciated being... alive. The only thing more depressing? The closest state in relation to where I am right now is South Carolina.

When I got to N.C. I thought J-Vill was the worst place ever. I seined a waver to get back to Vietnam. It was not N.C. or J-ville that I hated it was the duty there. It sucked. If you think J-Villa is bad you should go to Lotion, Ok. I was at FT. Sill for Searchlight school in 1967. I would take J-Ville any day any time.

Sgt Jim
01-10-09, 09:10 PM
Does any one know if the Pig Diner still there.

Marine1955
01-10-09, 09:40 PM

guess the lietant took my thunder away from me lived there for about four years and love it

mcvet57103
01-10-09, 09:57 PM
guess the lietant took my thunder away from me lived there for about four years and love it:thumbup: 2 1/2 years for me. Some advice for the wives of Marines, sell tupperware. Wife made a fortune on TTII having parties.

ecfree
01-10-09, 10:05 PM
The only thing more depressing? The closest state in relation to where I am right now is South Carolina.

Hey Accord,you are very depressed.:(
Why are you takin it out on South Carolina bro?
We have palm trees and green grass.
Sure it's not Miami,but neither is St.Pete..
Stick with it,it'll grow on you..(NC will)

Accord
01-10-09, 10:17 PM

I just walked back in the house with 7 packages of fat free string cheese from Food Lion. I am not joking, i'll even take pictures to prove it!

mcvet57103
01-10-09, 10:29 PM
I just walked back in the house with 7 packages of fat free string cheese from Food Lion. I am not joking, i'll even take pictures to prove it!Buddy, Le Jeune is what ya make of it. It's winter so that limits the choices some. Some suggestions of things to do: I assume you are single, Take a 96 with some friends to Atlanta, North to Norfolk, or west to Winston-Salem. Summer: Wilmington has Orton Plantation, USS North Carolina, and numerous restaraunts. Get creative Man. Use the internet to find sh-t to do. There's tons of stuff. Everything doesn't have to involve partying. The internet, and Google is the key. Trust me, you will be surprised how many historical sites, and just plain cool sites there are within a days drive of Jacksonville. SF

Wyoming
01-10-09, 10:39 PM
Son, you have what a lot of us, or at least me, had.

You are feeling as though you have let your buddies down.

They are there, you are here.

Do yourself a favor. Get laid, pick up some rank, and go back.

You'll feel a bunch better.

Trust me on this one.

Isrowei
01-10-09, 10:41 PM
I just walked back in the house with 7 packages of fat free string cheese from Food Lion. I am not joking, i'll even take pictures to prove it!

I thought the same thing for the first 9 months I was stuck in Oki. Then I actually got out and started LIVING there and I enjoyed it so much that I re-upped for 3 years.

No place is home. But every place is what you make of it.

mcvet57103
01-10-09, 10:47 PM
I thought the same thing for the first 9 months I was stuck in Oki. Then I actually got out and started LIVING there and I enjoyed it so much that I re-upped for 3 years.

No place is home. But every place is what you make of it.What Lt said.:thumbup:

jrhd97
01-10-09, 11:42 PM
I hated NC until I realized the people were just like the folks up home in PA, just hard to understand. Even dressed the same.
Find the clubs in Raleigh and Chapel Hill around the college's. Head up to Greenville. Plenty of Clubs around ECU.
Don't like that, take up golfing. Some great courses here in the Tarheel.
Have a 4X4. head to Uwarhie National Forest. Great trails. Up in Goldsboro there is a huge area of mud and dirt trails for anything with wheels.
Recreational shooting. There used to be a range up 17 off to the left. Greenville has a great range.
Not far off the tourists will be flocking into Myrtle Beach. Plenty of fun for a singal guy.
Like the Lt. said. It's what you make of it. Beatch and moan, you aren't gonna ever like it. It may never be your favorite place, but it can be a place you have good memories of.

01-11-09, 12:46 AM
I actually got out and started LIVING there and I enjoyed it so much that I re-upped for 3 years. No place is home. But every place is what you make of it.

Here is some sage advice. ^^ Quit crying and start trying. If you focus on the bad, it will consume you. If you try to the best of your ability to make lemonade out of lemons (some would say adapt, improvise, overcome, or some such $h!t), you may just learn to enjoy yourself.

thewookie
01-11-09, 01:01 AM
Here is some sage advice. ^^ Quit crying and start trying. If you focus on the bad, it will consume you. If you try to the best of your ability to make lemonade out of lemons (some would say adapt, improvise, overcome, or some such $h!t), you may just learn to enjoy yourself.

Well said. Life is what you make it. I could have fun and enjoy myself practically anywhere because I see no purpose in whining. If you look for shiat you will find it.

Take a diving lesson, get qualified to sky dive, get some education, do some weekend rappelling, do something but buy cheese at Food Lion, get out of the general area where all the Jarheads are at and try to live life a little.

And no offense, but I've been to Miami and it's a shi*t hole, same as Bayone NJ, the armpit of the country,, I'd rather live in Cuba then live in Miami,, wait it's the same place,,,, might not be worse then Lejeune but it aint that far off.

davblay
01-11-09, 04:53 AM
John, I feel your pain old buddy. I have watched you go from an over motivated Poolee to a well motivated Recruit, then finally a well motivated Marine. I saw the post about your training in SOI, your attemt to get in Recon, and hurt your foot or ankle or something. Then I saw you get into your first Fleet unit, still well motivated and good to go!

I saw a Marine in the Fleet that was even more motivated about finally going to the sand box, the love you'd be leaving behind. I saw your post from the war. But what I saw most was my pup was growing into a hard charging Marine Warrior.

In my day we were in the jungle, we got orders, we loaded on a chopper to DaNang, got on a Freedom Bird and came home to "THE WORLD". We had thoughts of the men we left behind, in those jungles, we felt like we betrayed them because we were here and they were still there fighting a war that wasn't finished yet.

We were young Marines (I was 18) and Pfcs or L/Cpls. The stateside Marines didn't know our experience because we wore our cammies (utilities at the time) so we were treated like every other PFC or L/Cpl by boot L/cpl and Cpls with no combat experience.

While "IN COUNTRY" we were more relaxed, we did our jobs and no one gave a dam about field days or inspections and such, now all of a sudden they do and they do it a lot. We went thru culture shock going over there, then the same thing coming back, go figure!

It didn't matter where they send you in CONUS it was the same old thing! Everyone hated it, the married Marines hated it, the kids hated it. There nothing to do. We were better Marines than the non combat Marines (so we thought)!

Every Marine that deploys goes thru the same thing! Unfortunately some see more than others, God Bless them, but we all have to fit in, in the real world! Right now your real world is Camp LeJeune. It wouldn't be any different if you were at 8th & I or any where else. You have to get over that experience in your own way. Some never get over it, some do! Today there is help for you, if you ask for it, to help you transition back to this side of the world.

Deep inside you are the same FAT KID that lost 80 lbs to join our beloved Corps just a few monthe ago. You are still that same old John, but you have to find that fellow, he's there deep inside you somewhere, I promise!

It don't matter what war or conflict you're involved in, it's the same thing for all of us. Pull your head out of your ass and thank the good lord that you came home alive and well. Your mission isn't over yet Marine, train the young ones with your experience, after all they will be covering your 6 the next time you go over there!

You're what half way thru your enlistment? Work hard, train hard, train your men with your experience, keep them alive and they will look after you.

Don't worry about what state your in, you'd hate any of them if wasn't Florida, right now! Improvise, adapt, overcome Marine!

Semper Fi My Fine brother, and please know you can PM me anytime I can help you out, ok?

Dave

DocGreek
01-11-09, 08:35 AM
DavBlay....Very good! The problems that Marines, and Corpsmen, suffer when they return to "The World", were SUPPOSED to be aided by "Re-Adjustment Counseling", Vet Centers, and the V.A. Trying to "fit back into society", was the goal, BUT.....depending on a Marines' duty, while "in country", has taken THIS LONG, for the shrinks, and Ph D's, to realize, that symptoms of P.T.S.D., have different stages of severity. Finding one's place, in our society, after Combat exposure, is often impossible, without constant counseling, and appropriate medication, to help with depression, and combat guilt. Asking for help, doesn't make you a P***Y! It's just like treating a dam wound, that keeps festering-up, and needs attention, now and then. Jrdh97......fear bullets, mortars, RPG'S, and rockets....NOT getting some personal assistance from the Corps, and the Navy. My best to you....BRO....ALWAYS FAITHFUL.....Doc Greek

SlingerDun
01-11-09, 09:31 AM
Or get away from the the night clubs, off the blacktop, and join the local outdoorsmen. Many of whom are fellow Marines. It's actually quite peacefull and serene when your not force marching 1/2 your bodyweight and engaging ass holes http://www.silvercreek-llc.com/forums/

usmc0331
01-11-09, 09:54 AM

no doubt.

david43844
01-11-09, 10:22 AM
Your getting paid to do a job!! Deal with it.

usmc0331
01-11-09, 10:29 AM
Not trying to be an azz but maybe if the Marine Corps trained Killers instead if boyscouts we wouldnt have so much ptsd <br />
<br />
we are sending alot of mentally weak marines into combat. Anyone can...

DWG
01-11-09, 11:04 AM
Accord, remember this; N. Carolina IS a part of Florida; it's where we store our mountains!:)

The western part of the state has so many Foridians that the locals have hats that say "Hell No I'm Not From Florida, I Live Here". I don't like cold or season changes either, I prefer to live where you can wear shorts and a T-shirt at least 350 days a year. But it is not a life time, no one is shooting at you (yet, that may change if the locals hear you b1tch too much). Lots of historical stuff within driving range. Hell, a lot of people actually choose to vacation up there. Find out why! (it escapes me, but I'm a "sand in my shoes" Floridian too). Take the time to decompress and smell the roses (or Betty Lous, Cindys, or other Lolita types in the AO). Just remember, "This Too Shall Pass!" Good luck! Play Jimmy Buffet songs and cry into your pillow if nothing else! LOL!
:p

rb1651
01-11-09, 11:36 AM
Accord, I have to agree with what most have said. You'll get out of it what you put into it. Although I was never stationed in NC, I make it a point to go there everytime I go to see my grandkids in Georgia. I became an avid golfer when I was in the Corps, and NC offers some of the finest courses in the U.S. It's up to you to make the best out of what seems a bad situation.

usmc0331
01-11-09, 01:08 PM
NC is nice in places. J ville is nothing but pawn shops, tattos joints and strip clubs ahhhhhhhh god ol drift wood and nasty toby's lmao

My wife and I love the South Carolina(charleston area)

mcvet57103
01-11-09, 01:24 PM
NC is nice in places. J ville is nothing but pawn shops, tattos joints and strip clubs ahhhhhhhh god ol drift wood and nasty toby's lmao

My wife and I love the South Carolina(charleston area)When I was at Le Jeune there was a bar just south of the Main Gate Called Frenchie's. He had a policy that if you didn't remove your cover when you entered the bar and he rang his bell before you could get it off, he got to keep it. His whole ceiling was covered with covers, and hats of all shapes and sizes he had stapled up there. Was basically a Marine only bar and was filled to capacity most Friday and Saturday nights. Had a friend that in order to get service would stand up on the booth seat and yell "Hey Frenchie!!! This would be a good place to open up a bar!!!" Man there were a lot of drunken good times, in that joint.

SGT7477
01-11-09, 06:28 PM
I didn't care for LeJeune either so when orders came up for Okinawa I was gone, but in 2003 the wife and I took a vacation to N.C. went through Camp LeJeune, caught a Nascar race, went through many cup car shops, visited a Marine friend in Richlands and had a very good time can't wait to go back again.

montana
01-11-09, 06:40 PM
thinkin of a story was told long time ago....a family moved to a new town ...stoped at a gas station and asked the owner what the people were like in the town...owner asked them what the people were like in the town the had just come from...they said the people were very nice helpfull very good people...the owner told them thats just what the people here are like.....later another family pulls up to the gas station said they were moveing into town and wonderd what the people were like...owner askes them what the people were like where they came from.....they said that the people were nothing but back biteing low lifes that didnt care about anyone but themselves...owner said thats what the people here are like......???????i guess you get what you look for or get out of it waht you put into it....water seaks its own level

yellowwing
01-11-09, 07:23 PM
thinkin of a story was told long time ago....a family moved to a new town ...stoped at a gas station and asked the owner what the people were like in the town...owner asked them what the people were like in the town the had just come from...they said the people were very nice helpfull very good people...the owner told them thats just what the people here are like.....later another family pulls up to the gas station said they were moveing into town and wonderd what the people were like...owner askes them what the people were like where they came from.....they said that the people were nothing but back biteing low lifes that didnt care about anyone but themselves...owner said thats what the people here are like......???????i guess you get what you look for or get out of it waht you put into it....water seaks its own level

Now that's good Zen! :thumbup:

knuckles 19
01-12-09, 09:19 AM
Iv lived here for most of my life. spent some time in Ohio, Florida,kentucky and Georgia. NC not the best place to live but its not the worst like anything in life it's what you make of it, go online and google things that interest you and put NC at the end of it. If your into the outdoors try going north to the mountains iv been camping and huntings not bad up there purdy good sites also.

Blutic
01-14-09, 10:41 PM
I guess I lucked out being sent to El Toro! Had season passes to Disneyland.

Achped
01-15-09, 03:49 AM
Hey man I spent some time at Lejeune too. I feel your pain.

Hawaii isn't really that great, the weather is between 70-80 year round, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. The beaches are full of tons of vacationing babes waiting to get some and the clubs are packed with chicks. The mountains are beautiful and the water is even better, the water is a little warm though, which makes it hard not wanting to jump in it while you're at the rifle range which overlooks the pacific and has waves crashing into the cliffs just passed the pits. Its just...horrible. I'm so glad they pay me an extra 180$ a month for being stationed there because otherwise I would protest.

Quinbo
01-15-09, 05:14 AM
Get your kama aina card and go use it at sea life park half price if you have it. Go surfing or scuba diveing at sharks cove. The north shore is the bomb. Check out MWR's offer to spring for scuba lessons. Get on a charter boat either a booze cruise or a deep sea fishing trip. Go to a luau . There is more stuff to do in Hawaii than time to do it. Go down to waikiki and spend your entire paycheck at moose mcgullicuddies wake up the next morning and say never again. Try to cut your own hair with the beard trimmer on your electric razor because you are broke. Go to formation smelling like you swam up beer river to whiskey lake and a hair cut that lookes like you smeared your head with peanut butter and had a goat chew it off. Curse the world eat in the chow hall for two weeks then forget your oath to never do it again. If you are late at the armory you missed your ride and get to run carrying a war bag and a rifle to the range. What is it Matt 4 miles 5 miles? Pretty long walk. Get there before the safety brief and no one says a word. There are so many chicks in Hawaii that a smooth tongue will cause you to want to install a revolving door.

Dam I almost threw thailand and NJP in there

redman1
01-15-09, 05:22 AM
WoW!
I couldn't respond with what I was going to after reading your post.
At first I was mad that someone would be that angry and put down my state.
Then I read what my friends Mcvet57103 and DocGreek wrote and I calmed down.
Sounds like you have more problems than N.C.
Just remember we all are Marines and always will be.
But most of all we stick together and help each other.
Stick in there Brother and I hope you give it a chance and stick in there.

I was born in N.C. and proud of it.
There are places in the state that I don't like either but there are some nice places also.
People in N. C. are some of the best there are and will give you the shirt off there back. Give them a chance.
I now live in Asheville, N. C. where I have found a home since 1979 and love it. Visit and you will like it.
Have a GREAT day and Semper Fi Redman1

MUSTANG0369
01-15-09, 05:27 AM
Man up, get a grip, at least its not Diego Garcia

Quinbo
01-15-09, 05:48 AM
Long long time ago Diego Garcia was not a Marine Barracks. Companys of deployed infantry Marines were sent there for 6 weeks as a reactionary force. I was part of one of those companys and although...

SlingerDun
01-15-09, 03:25 PM
hehehe wow, Quinn's glass is 1/2 full! I never saw Dago Garcia as anything more than a desolate spit of a furnace but some referred to it as paradise island, in jest of course. But i reckon it could be what you make of it

--->Dave

Quinbo
01-15-09, 04:06 PM
Going to Diego Garcia. Company loaded up on two C-130's to fly there from Korea. We had on enough cold weather gear to take a trip to the arctic. 1st and weapons were on our plane. Flew for 9 hours and woke up to the philipenes. Walk off that plane wearing a woolie pullie field jacket scarf and watch cap into 100 degrees 100% humidity. It seems that thailand wouldn't allow our plane in their air space because there were live dragon rounds on the plane. No libbo and the salts kept saying boys right through that gate is paradise. Got back on the plane and flew for 9 hours woke up and low and behold Kadena. WTF. 2 days no shower no shave... the CO says at least take a hobo's shower and shave in the head. We went to the load master to get our sea bags. Ohhh boy the other half of the companys sea bags were on our plane and our crap was in diego garcia. Got on the plane a third time and finally flew to Diego ... half our company had been there for 3 days with none of their stuff. They were sitting around in PT gear cleaning weapons and drinking beer when we got there.

Zebra29er
01-15-09, 04:42 PM
Thank God for that , at lest they speak English in NC , hell in Miami you can't communicate with no - one if its not Spanish it hip hop or some friggin talk from some god forsaking third world island , and the nose snow and gang bangers are so thick you have to use road plows to get around when I came out of Miami , I brought the Stars and Strips with me , up here to the Space Coast

Zebra29er
01-15-09, 04:53 PM

Quinbo
01-15-09, 05:16 PM
All that work on the thread in the hooch got me this.

Zebra29er
01-15-09, 05:23 PM

Here you go eat your hart out .

http://www.vimby.com/video/music/us/all/detail/5318?utm_source=spark&utm_medium=CPC

SgtThrasher
01-15-09, 06:42 PM
"When in Rome",I recall leaving Camp Lejeune for 29 Palms in 1966 ,upon arriving @LAX and a bus ride to Banning we waited for the Banning Bullet (the only public transportation to 29 Palms) and we were all in culture shock when we finally saw 29 Palms,but it turned out to be my favorite duty station!

Quinbo
01-16-09, 04:27 AM
After having been on Diego for about two weeks the USS hector pulled into port and cut their crew loose on libbo. The only male onboard was the captain of the ship. 400 waves 100 Marines what's a guy to do? Go fishing? nahh Ride a bike nahh. Go to the e-club and .... well the rest of that story belongs in the hooch ;) Freakin heaven I tell ya.

We had a newly promoted Cpl that had been a lance for 6 years on Duty Nco the day we did formal morning colors with the brits at their compound. Rifles and present arms and the full nine yards. The royal Marines raised their flag and we raised ours simultaneosly. Present arms and all that good stuff. We marched back to the company office and low and behold our newly promoted Cpl had ran our colors up the pole upside down. The first Sgt took that Marines chevrons off and threw them on the ground and took the a duty's chevrons off and handed them to him. The duty was again a lance corporal and the A duty was again a private. True story.

redman1
01-16-09, 04:58 AM
Zebra29er, Well said Marine!
I tried to be nice in my post but you told it like it is.
That's how I live my life but I was nice on this form.
Thanks for your words.
I'm and old fart and even though you say your not you sure sound like it.
You were trained right.
I got out because it was changing so much in 1972.
But to me a Marine is still a Marine and is the BEST but none of us compare to other Marines that were before us.
Semper Fi Redman1

SgtThrasher
01-16-09, 05:49 PM
Zebra29er, Well said Marine!
I tried to be nice in my post but you told it like it is.
That's how I live my life but I was nice on this form.
Thanks for your words.
I'm and old fart and even though you say your not you sure sound like it.
You were trained right.
I got out because it was changing so much in 1972.
But to me a Marine is still a Marine and is the BEST but none of us compare to other Marines that were before us.
Semper Fi Redman1

Redman1,I hear you loud and clear.I'm in the dark concerning modern day boot camp,but I know Parris Island In 1965 was brutal, where everyone got roughed up on a daily basis.A tour of duty in Vietnam( 13 months) there wasn't any phone calls home until R&R and Al Gore hadn't invented the internet yet.The Marines before us, probably had it worse.

Zebra29er
01-17-09, 09:25 AM
Well I remember a march through the swamp one night in our scivies and full packs in 1960 and getting off the bus and getting an attitude adjustment right off the get-go

skipperwo1
01-17-09, 09:36 AM
Sounds like every other happy Marine i've ever heard!

Zebra29er
01-17-09, 12:39 PM
Sgt. what outfit at the stumps I was with H&amp;S waiting for my Medical discharge and Drove an ambulance from May till Aug. of that year , and done a lot of rock hunting LOL &quot;The Largest marine Corps...

SureShot12
01-17-09, 01:59 PM
I look outside my window at trees with no leaves on it, I drive down endless country roads through corn fields

To each his own. Everyone has their "place".

For me:

I'd much rather live in rural, farmland, vast forested Country then a dirty city.

Evening driving through a suburban area makes me sick and depressed. Beautiful farms turned into developments. Deep woods which served as habitat for our wildlife- clear cut and turned into a shopping center.

There is no greater dissappointment then to see beautiful Country, home to beautiful wildlife and farms that feed humans, turned into a suburban nightmare or city hell.

However, my views are not one sided. I am not blind to the "opposing" view. I know what I like and why, thus- I understand what others like and why.

To each their own.

Like I said- I'd rather drive down vast Country roads on my way to a small town, then suburban streets on my way to a city. I'd rather interact with Country people, as in my experience, they are more real then city folk. City folk tend to be extremely competetive, ignorant to teh "green" aspect of things and are out for themselves.

Not to mention, they dont know what a REAL days work is.

Country for me- Anyday.

SgtThrasher
01-17-09, 06:11 PM
We went to 29 Palms to form 5th 155 gun battery(SP), but we were in the 8&quot; howitzer (SP) we had 2 platoons <br />
training to go to Vietnam.We arrived August 66 and went to Vietnam Feb 68. We were there...

ErikHeiker
01-17-09, 11:58 PM
I did a year at Camp Lejeune and I actually liked it. I can't think of any bad experiences while I was there.

ErikHeiker
01-18-09, 12:13 AM
"When in Rome",I recall leaving Camp Lejeune for 29 Palms in 1966 ,upon arriving @LAX and a bus ride to Banning we waited for the Banning Bullet (the only public transportation to 29 Palms) and we were all in culture shock when we finally saw 29 Palms,but it turned out to be my favorite duty station!

I went to 29 Palms in May 1973. Flew into Palm Springs from Alaska. That's when I first knew what hot really was! Took the Blue Streak, an old bus, from the airport to the base. What a ride...no air conditioning on that thing! Had some good times at the Stumps, but didn't miss it when I left. When to Ft Monmouth, NJ for some more schooling and then went to Camp Lejuene, which was my first permanent duty station.

Whitey
01-18-09, 01:20 AM
I have actually found a lot to do in the area. i'm thinking all of us on here around j-ville should get together one weekend and head to one of the thousands of bars and have a night of hanging out swapping stories and putting back a few.

ReconDoc
01-18-09, 01:13 PM
I am living here in Orlando Fl. have been since 1976. I came here from Hawaii when I retired. The crime rate here in orlando is just about unbelieveable, 123 killings in Orange counbty alone, seems like every day there is some jerk in a hopded sweatshirt either doing a car jacking, a pharmacy robbery or maybe just shooting up there neighborhood, I spent 3 weeks up in Jacksonville in Nov of 2008 and I can't recall any murders, robberies or carjackings in thgat time. I am nearly 70 years old and I carry my .45 auto every where i go, I absolutely refuse to become a "victim", I keep a round in the chamber and the hammer back, its a 1911 and was meant to be carried that way. Blaze orange hats and plaids shirts, hell yes and denim jeans too, cammies are ever acceptable to me and I taught my kids the same thing. My grandson is a Marine because he asked my opinion about the military and being a retired FMF Corpsman, I set him straight, he is a Sgt. in the CLR at Lejeune. My home here in Orlando is up for sale and when it sells I am headed for Richlands, N.C. Can't hardly wait. As far as Rednecks and Confederate flags go, I love them too, can't get enough. Deer hunting, fishing, trapping spending time in the woods. Miami and the rest of this God forsaken state need to get back to talking to each other instead of shooting each other and robbing each other at every turn. I have lived in a lot of places when I was in the military but Orlando Fl is about the worst and it was'nt like that when I came here, it has gone to hell in a handbasket so to speak. Want to live here??? buy my hopuse so I can move out. If I ruffled your feathers or stepped on your toes, ah well, get over it. keep smiling and remember that God loves you in soite of yourself.
ReconDoc

SgtThrasher
01-18-09, 08:33 PM
ReconDoc,I hope your house sells fast and you can make the move to Richlands,NC real soon.Orlando used to be a low crime area and you could sleep with the doors unlocked,but these crack heads are bringing everything down to their level.Keep that 45 cocked and locked! "I'd rather be judged by 12,than carried by 6."

Zulu 36
01-18-09, 09:05 PM
Whereabouts exactly in Orlando do you live, Doc?

I used to live in the College Park area and my oldest daughter lives in Castleberry (when she isn't in Germany with her AF Reserve unit).

ReconDoc
01-19-09, 08:28 AM
Whereabouts exactly in Orlando do you live, Doc?

I used to live in the College Park area and my oldest daughter lives in Castleberry (when she isn't in Germany with her AF Reserve unit).

I live over on the east side between Union Park and "good ole Bithlo":D

DWG
01-19-09, 08:49 AM
I live over on the east side between Union Park and "good ole Bithlo"

Bunker Hill area (White Horse Inn)? Or Alafaya Tr? I personally live "beyond Bithlo" (or "The Nightmare Before Christmas" as some refer to it -Bithlo, that is). This damn place is getting over run with Jarheads! LOL! :D

http://www.dixieresearch.com/confederate_flags_files/3rd%20National.gif

ReconDoc
01-19-09, 09:45 AM
Deerwood, just before Whitehorse and Avalon Blvd

DWG
01-19-09, 10:18 AM
Deerwood, just before Whitehorse and Avalon Blvd

Midway between a bar and a liquor store! Shoulda figured a sailor would find the ideal place to set up shop! LOL!:D

Our new neighbors just moved out here from Deerwood.

As long as they keep killing each other on the west side I have no problem. Wally World (or the rat hole if you prefer), won't "allow" crime on their property so they have to concentrate in a relatively small area. I keep a .45 handy myself (Baretta, I like the DA, ten round cap.). Our husband and wife sheriff and chief of police have vowed to clean up the "bad" areas. Don't ya have any faith in them?

Crime is everywhere, it just isn't obvious until you have been in the area for awhile. Rural areas are rife with meth labs and druggies. We looked into moving to TN. a couple of years ago but decided against it. Figured I wasn't going to let the scum run me out of my home state and I'd rather live somewhere I can wear a T-shirt and shorts 350 days a year. We're just fixing our home here to what we want and, if I have to, will learn spanish. que pasa?

redman1
01-19-09, 10:52 AM
Midway between a bar and a liquor store! Shoulda figured a sailor would find the ideal place to set up shop! LOL!:D

Our new neighbors just moved out here from Deerwood.

As long as they keep killing each other on the west side I have no problem. Wally World (or the rat hole if you prefer), won't "allow" crime on their property so they have to concentrate in a relatively small area. I keep a .45 handy myself (Baretta, I like the DA, ten round cap.). Our husband and wife sheriff and chief of police have vowed to clean up the "bad" areas. Don't ya have any faith in them?

Crime is everywhere, it just isn't obvious until you have been in the area for awhile. Rural areas are rife with meth labs and druggies. We looked into moving to TN. a couple of years ago but decided against it. Figured I wasn't going to let the scum run me out of my home state and I'd rather live somewhere I can wear a T-shirt and shorts 350 days a year. We're just fixing our home here to what we want and, if I have to, will learn spanish. que pasa?
DWG like the way you think.
When in doubt Imper-vise Marine!
Sounds like you have that mastered.
I think we all need to move this to another thread beside My rant about the state of North Carolina since it just keeps going on and on.
I personally like my state of N.C. and don't have anything against other states. I moved from Greensboro to Asheville in 1989 after a divorce and never looked back.
I've put down roots here and I'm going no where. I understand why you don't want to move.
Although I've thought about moving to Tenn which is only forty miles from where I live because of taxes. Living in Tenn seems to be a little cheaper.
Semper Fi Redman1

DWG
01-19-09, 11:39 AM
DWG like the way you think.
When in doubt Imper-vise Marine!
Sounds like you have that mastered.
I think we all need to move this to another thread beside My rant about the state of North Carolina since it just keeps going on and on.
I personally like my state of N.C. and don't have anything against other states. I moved from Greensboro to Asheville in 1989 after a divorce and never looked back.
I've put down roots here and I'm going no where. I understand why you don't want to move.
Although I've thought about moving to Tenn which is only forty miles from where I live because of taxes. Living in Tenn seems to be a little cheaper.
Semper Fi Redman1

I'm wise to you redman! You're just happy that at least one "damn Floridian" isn't trying to move to N. Carolina like all the rest!:D
I'm content with the fact that N. Carolina is where Florida "keeps our mountains" and will visit them on rare occasions. TN. has no income tax but I'd bet their sales tax makes up for it. It is starting to become infested with Floridians now that N. Carolina is about full!;)

redman1
01-19-09, 02:21 PM
Yea you got me!
Hendersonville has the most from your state thank GOD
I'm an Electrician and do some work in Hendersonville and some of my customers have been from Fla and nice people.
Its snowing now and suppose to get three or four inches tonight and tomorrow
Semper Fi Redman1

ReconDoc
01-19-09, 07:48 PM
Yea you got me!
Hendersonville has the most from your state thank GOD
I'm an Electrician and do some work in Hendersonville and some of my customers have been from Fla and nice people.
Its snowing now and suppose to get three or four inches tonight and tomorrow
Semper Fi Redman1

Electrician!!!!!! how 'bout that...me too retired from IBEW Local 606 7 years ago, getting well over $500.00 a month from them plus Military retirement and social security, not too bad for someone who quit school in the 10th grade and joined the Navy.:D:no:

Zebra29er
01-20-09, 03:56 PM
I am living here in Orlando Fl. have been since 1976. I came here from Hawaii when I retired. The crime rate here in orlando is just about unbelieveable, 123 killings in Orange counbty alone, seems like every day there is some jerk in a hopded sweatshirt either doing a car jacking, a pharmacy robbery or maybe just shooting up there neighborhood, I spent 3 weeks up in Jacksonville in Nov of 2008 and I can't recall any murders, robberies or carjackings in thgat time. I am nearly 70 years old and I carry my .45 auto every where i go, I absolutely refuse to become a "victim", I keep a round in the chamber and the hammer back, its a 1911 and was meant to be carried that way. Blaze orange hats and plaids shirts, hell yes and denim jeans too, cammies are ever acceptable to me and I taught my kids the same thing. My grandson is a Marine because he asked my opinion about the military and being a retired FMF Corpsman, I set him straight, he is a Sgt. in the CLR at Lejeune. My home here in Orlando is up for sale and when it sells I am headed for Richlands, N.C. Can't hardly wait. As far as Rednecks and Confederate flags go, I love them too, can't get enough. Deer hunting, fishing, trapping spending time in the woods. Miami and the rest of this God forsaken state need to get back to talking to each other instead of shooting each other and robbing each other at every turn. I have lived in a lot of places when I was in the military but Orlando Fl is about the worst and it was'nt like that when I came here, it has gone to hell in a handbasket so to speak. Want to live here??? buy my hopuse so I can move out. If I ruffled your feathers or stepped on your toes, ah well, get over it. keep smiling and remember that God loves you in soite of yourself.
ReconDoc

I lived in Orlando for about 10 years before the mouse screwed it up, when International Dr. was a dirt road through an Orange Grove and Kiss-a-mya$$ only had one red light and the biggest "Them Park " was Gator-land 1970
then we moved over here to the coast ( Space Coast ) and been here since.

redman1
01-20-09, 04:44 PM
Electrician!!!!!! how 'bout that...me too retired from IBEW Local 606 7 years ago, getting well over $500.00 a month from them plus Military retirement and social security, not too bad for someone who quit school in the 10th grade and joined the Navy.:D:no:
ReconDoc I also quit school in the 10th grade and made the mistake of getting married. After one month of marriage I joined the Beloved Marine Corps.
Was married to her for 13 years.
Got out of the Marines and couldn't work for anyone, bought a 18 wheeler ran all over the States for about two years. Then hired a driver and started doing electrical work. Went into business and been there ever since.
You were smart and I was stubborn. Having a pension must feel good.
Sometimes I wish I had went to work for someone else. But was to stubborn.
The only thing I ever did that I don't regret was join the Marine Corps and marry my third wife eight years ago. Life is good.
Semper Fi Redman1 Happy in N.C.

Seawolf
01-23-09, 02:33 PM
Sgt Jim,

A friend of mine was at Cherry Pt yesterday. Told him to go check out the Pig Diner. He drove all the way to Jacksonville and couldn't find it. The police told him they never heard of it !! I'm outraged !!

But, not nearly as outraged as my friend who was stupid enough to drive 50-miles to find "The Pig". I need to come up with an explanation . . . quick !!

So, what did happen to the PIG?

Thanks,

Seawolf

echo3oscar1833
01-23-09, 03:29 PM
Accord If you wanna have a good time brother, I can hook you up with a fine damn Marine I know. His name is Master Gunnery Sergeant Scott Wilson, tell him Ben Otten said to look you up. He is currently the Battalion S-4 with 2nd Assault Amphibian Battalion. He is a good friend of mine, he is into Motorcycles, and such. Im serious though look him up brother, don't worry about being a Lance Corporal and him being a Master Gunnery Sergeant. Kill!!:marine:

Sgt Jim
01-23-09, 05:47 PM
Seawolf,wife and myself would aways go there every two weeks,they had good food there.just before crossing the river there was a beached shrimp boat on land at at the rivers bank,they served shrimp in banana split dish,had coverd stands with 2 by 12 table tops,peal and eat,was good.Semper Fi.

ReconDoc
01-24-09, 07:41 AM
Sgt Jim,

A friend of mine was at Cherry Pt yesterday. Told him to go check out the Pig Diner. He drove all the way to Jacksonville and couldn't find it. The police told him they never heard of it !! I'm outraged !!

But, not nearly as outraged as my friend who was stupid enough to drive 50-miles to find "The Pig". I need to come up with an explanation . . . quick !!

So, what did happen to the PIG?

Thanks,

Seawolf

Hey Seawolf,

I believe it was called the "Whistling pig" and it was a drive in diner, went there many, many times back in the early 60's.. If I remember correctly it was on hiway 24. Do you remember the "Brown Bagger" just outside the main gate on the right near the lake???
ReconDoc

DWG
01-24-09, 09:28 AM
Hey Seawolf,

I believe it was called the "Whistling pig" and it was a drive in diner, went there many, many times back in the early 60's.. If I remember correctly it was on hiway 24. Do you remember the "Brown Bagger" just outside the main gate on the right near the lake???
ReconDoc

Used to be a chain of drive ins in the south called "Pig and Whistle". Haven't seen one in a long while.

Sgt Jim
01-24-09, 10:22 AM
Used to drive past the Brown Bagger on the way to the Air Station,never went in

Seyborg
01-24-09, 12:02 PM
Accord.

I feel the same way. I've been here since about September and MAN is it dead. I'm from a small town in West Virginia, but at least Dub V (WVU) was like 45 mins away!

Nothing to do ever, except get belligerent drunk, play games, and then PT and throw up the next day. (My weekend).

If you ever want to do something semi fun let me know.

Seyborg

SGT7477
01-24-09, 05:58 PM
Seyborg there is all kinds of women to be had, if you want to re live boot camp I got a DI friend who lives in Richlands and you won't be bored,lol.