PDA

View Full Version : Lat move concerns...

Edgecrusher11
01-08-09, 08:28 PM
So I've got the ball in motion for a lat move into 0211 or counterintelligence. I've got my prerequisites done, and it's come down to my chain of command signing my RELM (re enlistment, extension, lateral move) request. I understand that for this MOS, simply having the approval of my chain of command is not a sure move, since I'll still have to interview with the intel dudes, but my questions have more to do with my end.

When I broke the news to my CO that I wanted to lat move out, he did say he'd sign for it. The RELM is up to my 1st Sgt right now, and I don't expect I'll hit any resistance there either. However, our battalion deploys this spring. I am an 03, and naturally, I am in an 03 battalion. I've been on one deployment and I am an E3 (waiverable on a case by case basis, but this MOS does require E4s and E5s).

So, given that our batt. deploys in a handful of months, if this request is approved, would I move into this MOS as soon as I'm able to go to school and miss this deployment, or would I be kept for this deployment and only allowed to move afterwords? If I do have approval for a lat move how could the keep me around? If the RELM is signed off on is that like another contract that locks in my extension, or is there seperate paperwork for that as well?

To be direct, I want to get into this MOS ASAP, but I'm worried they won't let me out until after deployment. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Quinbo
01-09-09, 02:11 AM
Generally speaking you have to have less than a year remaining on your current contract to extend / reenlist. If you are somewhere around your 2 year mark you may get approved but will still have to deploy field and all that good stuff until you are at your 3 year + mark. If you haven't already; you should get your carreer planner involved.

commdog7
01-09-09, 03:59 AM
I got a question for you. How are you an E3 in your statement, but an E1 on your profile? You just joined this website yesterday, I have never heard of an E1 getting promoted two ranks in one day- get where I am going?

You might want to fill out your profile. Based on the sh!t you posted in the other thread, I have my eye on you.

mcvet57103
01-09-09, 01:04 PM
I got a question for you. How are you an E3 in your statement, but an E1 on your profile? You just joined this website yesterday, I have never heard of an E1 getting promoted two ranks in one day- get where I am going?

You might want to fill out your profile. Based on the sh!t you posted in the other thread, I have my eye on you.Hairs on the back of my neck standing up also Comm. I've got the alert out. Noticed when I called him on it he filled out only the parts that can't be varified.

sscjoe
01-09-09, 01:33 PM
Me smells something also. Fall 06 for graduation. It's been over 30 yrs and I still remember 02/26/76

mcvet57103
01-09-09, 01:39 PM
Yep :thumbup: I still have my Boot Camp Platoon picture from 2/14/1975 on the wall along with my Honorable discharge Cert. Both have hung on my wall since I became a civie Jarhead.

Accord
01-09-09, 04:26 PM
So I've got the ball in motion for a lat move into 0211 or counterintelligence. I've got my prerequisites done, and it's come down to my chain of command signing my RELM (re enlistment, extension, lateral move) request. I understand that for this MOS, simply having the approval of my chain of command is not a sure move, since I'll still have to interview with the intel dudes, but my questions have more to do with my end.

When I broke the news to my CO that I wanted to lat move out, he did say he'd sign for it. The RELM is up to my 1st Sgt right now, and I don't expect I'll hit any resistance there either. However, our battalion deploys this spring. I am an 03, and naturally, I am in an 03 battalion. I've been on one deployment and I am an E3 (waiverable on a case by case basis, but this MOS does require E4s and E5s).

So, given that our batt. deploys in a handful of months, if this request is approved, would I move into this MOS as soon as I'm able to go to school and miss this deployment, or would I be kept for this deployment and only allowed to move afterwords? If I do have approval for a lat move how could the keep me around? If the RELM is signed off on is that like another contract that locks in my extension, or is there seperate paperwork for that as well?

To be direct, I want to get into this MOS ASAP, but I'm worried they won't let me out until after deployment. Any Ideas?

Thanks

Every single MARADMIN and regulation that applies to lat moves, reenlistments, etc. goes COMPLETELY out of the window when it comes to CI/HUMINT Co. and EOD. If you're eligible then they take you immediately. It doesn't matter if you're an 03 in a deploying unit and unlike going on a b-billet or lat moving to a normal MOS, your chain of command can do absolutely nothing to deny your move to CI/HUMINT Co. The only ones who can deny your request to move to CI is HQMC or CI/HUMINT Co. themselves should you fail any of the prerequisites or fail to meet any requirements or if something comes up in your background investigation.

If you quality for 0211, there is absolutely nothing your chain of command can do about it. Doesn't matter if you're deploying in a week, CI/HUMINT Co. will get you out in 48 hours and you'll be OJT until you get a school seat. The fact that you're a Lance is the only thing that will keep you from going to HET, if you don't pick up before you deploy then you'll most likely deploy instead of going to HET.

Edgecrusher11
01-09-09, 09:46 PM
If you quality for 0211, there is absolutely nothing your chain of command can do about it. Doesn't matter if you're deploying in a week, CI/HUMINT Co. will get you out in 48 hours and you'll be OJT until you get a school seat. The fact that you're a Lance is the only thing that will keep you from going to HET, if you don't pick up before you deploy then you'll most likely deploy instead of going to HET.

That's actually good news. It sounds like this may happen first of all. Thanks to everyone who answered my question, I do appreciate it.

Hmm... everyone seem a little tightly wound? Did it occur to anyone that I'm asking some awful specific questions to be a civilian? I don't think any bad blood should be necessary, but is this how you treat everyone who first joins this board?

This being the interwebz and all, is it not understandable that I would want to be a little less than specific when it comes to my service history?

Comm: lolwut? You're watching me? Well, stop. It's creeping me out.

mcvet57103
01-09-09, 10:03 PM
That's actually good news. It sounds like this may happen first of all. Thanks to everyone who answered my question, I do appreciate it.

Hmm... everyone seem a little tightly wound? Did it occur to anyone that I'm asking some awful specific questions to be a civilian? I don't think any bad blood should be necessary, but is this how you treat everyone who first joins this board?

This being the interwebz and all, is it not understandable that I would want to be a little less than specific when it comes to my service history?

Comm: lolwut? You're watching me? Well, stop. It's creeping me out.Buddy you need to understand something. We who are already here know we are Marines. Whenever someone new comes here and blows off the registration requirements. We tend to doubt their validity. As a Marine you should understand that, and be able to cut us a break when we make a mistake. It is only done because we want only those who have earned it, the right to post here. We do not want to insult anyone. Unless off course you a Dog face posing. LOL

Petz
01-09-09, 10:05 PM
don't get your hopes up... you need that waiver... guess who's going to talk for you on that waiver?

your COC.

besides... if all that junk does happen while you are in the sandbox, they will bring you back or transfer you to CI unit deployed in your AO... either way, enjoy the ride kid.

as for you old salts... he's got proof on myspace, but you are all right, he does need to fill out his profile here better.

mcvet57103
01-09-09, 10:08 PM
don't get your hopes up... you need that waiver... guess who's going to talk for you on that waiver?

your COC.

besides... if all that junk does happen while you are in the sandbox, they will bring you back or transfer you to CI unit deployed in your AO... either way, enjoy the ride kid.

as for you old salts... he's got proof on myspace, but you are all right, he does need to fill out his profile here better.Huh ????

Edgecrusher11
01-09-09, 10:29 PM
So it sounds like posting without a profile filled out here is akin to walking outside without your 8 point on; just marked for a torrent of crap....

Must be fun.

Edgecrusher11
01-09-09, 10:44 PM
I don't know for sure, but since there is an interview process with the CI company, the waiver will originate from CI rather than my end. From what I've heard (just word of mouth so you have to take with 2 tbsp salt), there's a murder board, pft, and possibly a polygraph test. Given this, it seems to indicate to me that they would decide whether or not to accept a Lance given his/her capabilites.

Like that one guy said though, it also sounds like these critical needs type MOSs like CI, EOD, etc. want people so bad that they'll take most of the qualified candidates interested in making a move.

I just hope it works out, right now it seems like a roll of the dice.

commdog7
01-09-09, 11:30 PM

Comm: lolwut? You're watching me? Well, stop. It's creeping me out.

You need to understand something, the Marines in here all value our service, we take honor in protecting the title. We worked our @sses off to earn the right to be called Marines. One thing that really p!sses Marines off are posers- civilians who haven't done sh!t but reap the glory of a Marine.

When you came in here, you didn't fill our your profile at all- nothing, not even a little. On your first or second posting, you were very sympathetic to an identified poser. That got my spidey-sense tingling, the same with the other Marines in here. Do you now understand why we might have thought you were a poser?

It sounds like some of the other Marines have verified that you are indeed a Marine- which is good enough for me. If we got off on a bad start, I apologize.

Edgecrusher11
01-10-09, 12:13 AM
Do you now understand why we might have thought you were a poser?

a.) That was a pretty hasty conclusion jump. A lesser man would take offense. Again, no bad blood, but...

b.) This is the internet. How do you know that any given person here isn't just a poser with a really elaborate story? Paradox....

Of all the problems that Marines and former Marines face, I should think that civilians who want to tell people they served just to impress them are just small potatoes. Certainly it's much worse for the character of the offender than the Marine him/herself. To be so deceitful to one's own sense of honor... it's sad really. Sad and pathetic. Not the type of thing I'd lose my head over though.

commdog7
01-10-09, 12:39 AM
a.) That was a pretty hasty conclusion jump. A lesser man would take offense. Again, no bad blood, but...

b.) This is the internet. How do you know that any given person here isn't just a poser with a really elaborate story? Paradox....

Of all the problems that Marines and former Marines face, I should think that civilians who want to tell people they served just to impress them are just small potatoes. Certainly it's much worse for the character of the offender than the Marine him/herself. To be so deceitful to one's own sense of honor... it's sad really. Sad and pathetic. Not the type of thing I'd lose my head over though.

That's not the way I see it. I have absolutely no respect for civilians who lie about being a Marine. To serve one's country is an honorable thing, and the Marines are the proudest of that service. For a civilian does not bear the sacrifice but chooses to steal the pride of those who serve, I am disgusted to know that they exsist. They are pawns who lie about being a knight. It is not flattery, it is sickening. You and I seem to have very different views of these imposters.

Covey_Rider
01-10-09, 02:44 AM
Edge, I'm doing the same thing you are...so here's the scoop that I got from the CI Marine who's taking care of me...

-CI, EOD, Recon, Linguist, these are all critical MOS's that make you eligable for reenlistment more then a year out from your EAS. You need to make sure that your career planner is involved so that he can generate the early reenlistment paperwork.

-From the looks of it, you've already done the Q&A session with a CI/HUMINT Marine and are taking the next steps.

-If your package is approved then you will most likely be pulled from your unit to go to school. All it takes is one moniter calling up another and them handling it. From the impression I got though, you get pulled. I've already gotten my orders to my next duty station and it won't effect me at all. If anything, it will be handled on a case by case basis.

-Stay up to date on current events. If all you have left is the board, you'd better know them like the back of your hand. Most Marines that I've talked to that have been on the board, were in that room for 4-5 hours. Sweating their balls off.

-Polygraph test is not a for sure thing. They'll give you one sometime during your career, but I'm assuming their really only giving them out to people they feel the need to during the application process.

-TS clearence can be a lengthy process...anywhere from 4 months to 2 yrs. You're still eligable for the job though just as long as you are eligable for the clearence.

-Honesty is going to be your best friend.

Good luck, maybe I'll see you in school haha. If you have anymore questions let me know...all of the answers are a phone call away.

Accord
01-10-09, 09:37 AM
I don't know for sure, but since there is an interview process with the CI company, the waiver will originate from CI rather than my end. From what I've heard (just word of mouth so you have to take with 2 tbsp salt), there's a murder board, pft, and possibly a polygraph test. Given this, it seems to indicate to me that they would decide whether or not to accept a Lance given his/her capabilites.

Like that one guy said though, it also sounds like these critical needs type MOSs like CI, EOD, etc. want people so bad that they'll take most of the qualified candidates interested in making a move.

I just hope it works out, right now it seems like a roll of the dice.

A waiver for a lance is extremely rare regardless of how qualified you are. The waivers for lances are usually reserved for those who are still lances after 4 years just because they're in a retarded MOS that doesn't promote (like 0351). If you have less than 4 years in you're probably NOT going to get the waiver and told you have to wait to pick up.

Edgecrusher11
01-11-09, 12:45 AM
As an 11 though, it seems like the cutting score just keeps getting higher and higher, possibly reciprocating the stock market over the past few months. I think it's in the 1690s now? I'm sitting somewhere in the 1630s, but for whatever it's worth, I have been "recommended with enthusiasm". Could this have any bearing on the situation or is it more about making a good impression with the spooks?

Accord
01-11-09, 01:17 AM
As an 11 though, it seems like the cutting score just keeps getting higher and higher, possibly reciprocating the stock market over the past few months. I think it's in the 1690s now? I'm sitting somewhere in the 1630s, but for whatever it's worth, I have been "recommended with enthusiasm". Could this have any bearing on the situation or is it more about making a good impression with the spooks?

Bro, i'm an 0351... I don't even have a cutting score my sh/t is closed out. Doesn't matter how much you've been recommended right now if you're still just a Lance, that will only matter when you're standing the board. They almost never make exceptions, doesn't matter how sh/t hot you are.

Edgecrusher11
01-11-09, 02:04 AM
So... it comes back to just being a roll of the dice.

Accord
01-11-09, 03:01 AM
So... it comes back to just being a roll of the dice.

No, it comes back to you not being an NCO.

Covey_Rider
01-11-09, 09:50 AM
Hey check it out...CI/HUMINT will decide if you will get in or not. Nobody else. They have the power to put you into the school. Even if you do pass the board, all that does is get you orders to school...from there you'll start the hard part. They've got waivers for anything that they need. I have to get a waiver for my age. We've all got to do whatever it takes to meet our goals...I'm sure that if this is something that you really want you'll find a way to make it happen.

Petz
01-11-09, 11:32 AM
Hey check it out...CI/HUMINT will decide if you will get in or not. Nobody else. They have the power to put you into the school. Even if you do pass the board, all that does is get you orders to school...from there you'll start the hard part. They've got waivers for anything that they need. I have to get a waiver for my age. We've all got to do whatever it takes to meet our goals...I'm sure that if this is something that you really want you'll find a way to make it happen.

yut!

I like his answer better than all that bickering above.

Edgecrusher11
01-15-09, 02:23 PM
OK, thanks guys 'preciate it.

My RELM has been signed all the way up to my BC.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-15-09, 10:09 PM
Good.

Now, something that no one here has touched on, is the simple fact that do you have ANY clue what CI does, day to day? Or just a general idea?

If not, you'd better start doing some research. Quite frankly, you are getting into an MOS that is more research intensive, and 'face to face' intensive, than you can imagine. One of the things the CI interview team used to do was assign you to write country study paper, that could range from 2-3 thousand words. And it better not be copied out of some encylopedia, either. You also better be able to brief it, and explain it. They give you about a week to get it done, and yeah, you still have to do all your current MOS requirements for your 'real' job as well.

Next, deployment times....do you know one of the reasons the MOS is sooooo short? They deploy something like 280 days out of the year, and that was told to me long before 'the wars' started.

Think on these things, and think hard.

Lastly, as I understand it, "If they want you, they got you". Because it's such a short MOS, they can pretty much snatch you. However, they can also make you wait, and yes there is ZERO you can do about it.

Covey_Rider
01-16-09, 12:51 AM
yut!

I like his answer better than all that bickering above.

I try to keep things simple haha.

Hey go to google and do a search for MCWP 2-6, that's the pub for CI/HUMINT. A wonderfull 287 page read. Some parts are pretty boring, and some are interesting. Well that's just my opinion anyway. That right there should give you a decent idea of what the MOS is about, if you don't already know...besides that just become really good friends with google. Lots of open source information out there just waiting to be explored.