PDA

View Full Version : Discharged Retired Marines Wearing the Uniform

echo3oscar1833
01-08-09, 03:40 PM
As per a suggestion I am moving these posts here to this thread to start a new discussion. Its all copy and paste but im sure you guys will get the jist of it lol:D <br />
<br />
This one is in regards to a...

Maldonado 2060
01-08-09, 04:13 PM
Well it seems your the Uniform guru so Ill ask. Please correct me if Im wrong cause Id like to know before chewing or getting chewed out and Im sure some are wondering also.

1.Would a set of cammies with no name tapes be non-servicable just like a set of cammies without your personal marking stenciled in?

2. If yes then wouldnt a set of cammies with name tapes,no rank or personal marking be exempt from the rules since its unserviceable?

3.Would these rules apply to phased out gear like the old woodland cammies or those really old all green cammies (no offense to you really old Marines)

devildog21345
01-08-09, 04:52 PM
I Have A Woodland Cammie Cover With The Marine Corps Emblem Embroided In Blue & Gold. Woodland Cammie Blouse With Red & Green Cpl. Chevrons On The Sleeves. Was Told Several Years Ago By The Basse Commander At Clnc Tyhat I Had A Damm Nice Uniform. Even Received A Compliment From Gen Jones On My Uniform. Only Problem That I Had Was A Hard Ass 1st Sgt. Just Back From Iraq.

ggyoung
01-08-09, 05:11 PM
E-301833--- If all of this was followed Sgt. Gritt would be out of baseness. Also all the Army-Navy stores. Also during the late 1960-70s it would make me mad as hell to see some damn hippie in a old dress blues or any other military item. I found out the hard way not to kick the crap out of them, This was done in court.

Maldonado 2060
01-08-09, 05:27 PM
LOL......Understood Lcpl. Im not one for asschewing the tan belt did not go to my head. It was more to protect my ass or another Marine.I would not have a problem if some old salt wanted to wear his dress blues everyday til the day he passes.

NoRemorse
01-08-09, 06:13 PM
LOL......Understood Lcpl. Im not one for asschewing the tan belt did not go to my head. It was more to protect my ass or another Marine.I would not have a problem if some old salt wanted to wear his dress blues everyday til the day he passes.

He'd be going out in style then. :marine:

sscjoe
01-09-09, 08:25 AM
I left active duty 30 years ago this year. I earned my title and served Honorably, if I want to wear my old utility cover with the EGA I am going to wear it with pride regardless of Chapter 11 MCO P 10203G.

echo3oscar1833
01-09-09, 09:38 AM
I left active duty 30 years ago this year. I earned my title and served Honorably, if I want to wear my old utility cover with the EGA I am going to wear it with pride regardless of Chapter 11 MCO P 10203G.

I agree with you. I posted all of this information just to let people know the facts nothing more. I could care less if a Marine wears his old Cammie cover out and around. My dad, and uncle used to wear theres all the time. Again just stating the facts nothing more :marine:

Petz
01-09-09, 09:54 AM
I agree with you on this. However there is a difference in collector Items, and Official Uniform Items. For example the Digital Covers in Sgt Grits with the cool colorful EGA, and Ribbons embroidered on them. That cover is Not an official Marpat Cover. Also on some of the actual uniform Items in there that are for sale actually go with Uniforms such as covers, belts, dress blue buttons, gloves, etc. These are uniform items that are authorized to be sold by a civilian distributor. As for the actual cammies in the Sgt Grit Catalog that I am looking at right now. If you look all of the digitial cammies they are non-Marpat. They do not have the EGA, or nametapes. As for the old woodlands agian no nametapes, or EGA. Now for the boots that you can buy, they are official. However as we all know dress shoes, and boots are authorized to be worn with civilian clothing and any stinking fool can buy them. As far as the rest of the stuff in Sgt Grits. Some of it is Official Ribbons and Medals, which if entitled to any Veteran can buy, and the rest of the stuff is nothing more that novelty stuff such as bumber stickers, pins, clothing, etc.

the boots are not authorized once they put the EGA on them... they are apart of your cammies that can't be worn off base unless you have the authorized reason.

Petz
01-09-09, 10:02 AM
the issue arises when you have a military UNIFORM on and get into trouble. as for wearing an item of the uniform AFTER you left service entirely is something completely different... why? because the...

yanacek
01-09-09, 10:08 AM
Some good information.

Okay, here's a question. I retired as a MSgt, E-8. I'm planning on attending a WW-II USO dance. The prescribed attire is period clothing. I plan on wearing either dress greens or khakis. No problem with the ribbons--I will just not wear ribbons that I rate that did not exist in 1945. The problem is the rank. A "six-striper" in 1945 was a "Sergeant Major" or a "Master Technical Sergeant." The rank of "Master Sergeant" did not exist at the time. Any thoughts on wearing the insignia of rank for as a Master Technical Sergeant (six stripes)? According to the policy, deviations to the insignia of grade is not authorized, but this is a rather unusual case. I'd like to add that I have seen WW-II reenactors wearing complete period uniforms with insignia of grade that they never held--sometimes even the uniforms of officers. Of course, I recognize that their intent is education and not fraudulent.

Petz
01-09-09, 10:13 AM
Some good information.

Okay, here's a question. I retired as a MSgt, E-8. I'm planning on attending a WW-II USO dance. The prescribed attire is period clothing. I plan on wearing either dress greens or khakis. No problem with the ribbons--I will just not wear ribbons that I rate that did not exist in 1945. The problem is the rank. A "six-striper" in 1945 was a "Sergeant Major" or a "Master Technical Sergeant." The rank of "Master Sergeant" did not exist at the time. Any thoughts on wearing the insignia of rank for as a Master Technical Sergeant (six stripes)? According to the policy, deviations to the insignia of grade is not authorized, but this is a rather unusual case. I'd like to add that I have seen WW-II reenactors wearing complete period uniforms with insignia of grade that they never held--sometimes even the uniforms of officers. Of course, I recognize that their intent is education and not fraudulent.

well, since E-8 wasn't around them and it was a couple of different e-7s... do you think that being a Staff Sgt at the time would be equivalent or would you want to be a Plt Sgt (e-7) which I think was a step-up... I could be wrong about the step-up as plt Sgt... it may be that sidestep like first Sgt and SgtMaj....

I'd go with the tech Sgt.......................... yeah, that's an e-7 if I remember correctly and it's non-combat related where as the Staff Sgt was combat.... right? Where's our old salts? I think I know one on here.. I'll point him to your question, that will get a solid answer instead of my soggy turd one.

yanacek
01-09-09, 10:36 AM
There were no E-7s, E-6s, etc. before 1947. A six-striper was what they called a "Grade 1" while a five-striper was a "Grade 2", all the way down to Private, "Grade 7." Then in 1959 they added LCpl and SgtMaj/MGySgt at the top to further confuse matters. I may have to call HQMC with this one.

This illustrates the comparative rank structures: http://www.obxmarines.com/documents/rank.html

Petz
01-09-09, 10:45 AM
well you can see how confused I am... I'm getting bucksgted involved to help you out... and Sgt Lep is a great resource for uniform regs... he's the site genius on the subject.

yanacek
01-09-09, 11:04 AM
Thanks for referring this one. I look forward to hearing from them.

Petz
01-09-09, 11:58 AM
nooo problem top, glad to help.

echo3oscar1833
01-09-09, 01:32 PM
Uhh Actually you can:D <br />
<br />
1005. CIVILIAN ATTIRE <br />
<br />
1. Authority <br />
<br />
a. The CMC has extended the privilege of wearing civilian clothing to officers and enlisted Marines within the...

yanacek
01-09-09, 01:47 PM
(3) Uniform items that have been declared obsolete may be worn with civilian clothing, when appropriate, provided such items contain no distinctive insignia or buttons.

(The above item about wearing the older cammies or other items that are obsolete without nametapes, insignia, buttons, etc is answered right above.):marine:

You are just kidding about that, right? I'd like to see what would happen if you drove onto a base wearing something like that!

Maldonado 2060
01-09-09, 01:59 PM
You are just kidding about that, right? I'd like to see what would happen if you drove onto a base wearing something like that!

LOL....Thats the double loophole. When appropriate, Will mean go ahead and where it buddy(for boots) and to old salts it means I can chew your ass for looking like a clown wearing cammie pants and cover with a superman shirt and flip flops.

echo3oscar1833
01-09-09, 02:32 PM

lol, yeah not that I would do it, just stating whats in the regs lol:D

yanacek
01-09-09, 03:02 PM
No need to get defensive, bro. I didn't mean to imply that you, or any Marine, would be stupid enough to wear outdated uniforms items with Bermuda shorts and sandals.

echo3oscar1833
01-09-09, 03:15 PM
No need to get defensive, bro. I didn't mean to imply that you, or any Marine, would be stupid enough to wear outdated uniforms items with Bermuda shorts and sandals.

Not you Top, your good to go lol. I was referring to someone else lol.:D

bucksgted
01-09-09, 06:52 PM
Thanks for referring this one. I look forward to hearing from them.

OK, Top, here is my take on it. Keep in mind that I didn't appear on the scene in the Corps until Feb 1956. The pay raises and the crossed rifles didn't get announced until approx October of 1958 with plans to start the implementation in January 1959. Before crossed rifles your "six stripper" was a Master Sergeant, paygrade E-7. (No E-8s or E-9s until after January 1959.)

The "5 stripper" was a Technical Sergeant. In my first operating squadron in 1957, VMF-251, my shop SNCOIC was T/Sgt Blodgett. Some folks called him Tech Sergeant and some folks called him Gunny. In my next squadron in 1958 & 59, VMF(AW)314, all of the "5 strippers" were called Gunny. Keep in mind, these folks were still E-6s.

All that to say, in my humble opinion, you would be correct to wear the Master Technical Sergeant stripes (the ones with the bottom three being flat since you are "back in 1945"). Forget the pay grade, the responsibility is what counts. The responsibilities that those old, salty Marines of 1945 carried at paygrade E-7, were the same responsibilites that you carried as an E-8 Master Sergeant. You just had the benefit of a good pay raise.

I say that because I lived it as a Sergeant. I was a Sergeant (E-4), but my responsiblities were no different than a Sergeant (E-5) of 1959 and later. Point of interest, I could make an aircraft AOCP as a Sergeant, but I notice it takes a S/Sgt to do that today.

How about all this sheite; you ask what time it is and I've told you how a clock works. LMFAO Hope I've shed some light on the question.

Semper Fi, Brothers!

Ed

bucksgted
01-09-09, 07:13 PM
Just another tid bit of history:

In January 1959 at Ping Tung, Taiwan, we (VMF(AW)314) made a really big deal of promoting our very first "crossed rifle" any rank. Master Sergeant William J. Myatt (E-7) was promoted to Master Sergeant (E-8).

Maldonado 2060
01-09-09, 09:44 PM
Thanks Ssgt. Im sure that will answer pretty much anything we can think up as far as uniform regs are concerned. Semper Fi!

NoRemorse
01-10-09, 09:47 AM
Regarding hair reg; has anyone found out a good way to give themselves a horseshoe? I can fade myself with the clippers and maintain a pretty good zero. I even cheat and use a baseball cap to get a straight line all the way around.

I have not figured out a way to get a good horseshoe going without creating some sort of contraption that allows me to mount multiple mirrors on a swivelling arm....

That may be my next project :idea:

outlaw3179
01-11-09, 08:49 AM
Isnt a horeshoe considered eccentric?

SlingerDun
01-11-09, 08:59 AM
Isnt a horeshoe considered eccentric?

Sometimes yes, i.e. a square toed whip across bar shoe with lateral extension trailer and memphis bar attached to a western pleasure nag

Petz
01-11-09, 11:46 AM
from zero length at the hairline in the lower portion of the head to
the upper portion of the head.

kid, Zero means no guard on your lowest setting.... so yeah, to the scalp.

this little blurb needs to be noted about "footwear"
you are right this does need to be noted by the Marine Corps Uniform Boardit has been!! where do you think I got this info???

e. No part of a prescribed uniform, except those items not exclusively
military in character, will be worn with civilian clothing.

Combat Utility Boots of any kind that have the EGA on them are edit:*NOT * authorized for wear in civilian attire. the foot wear described here..

However it may be intepreted you may were the Combat Boots with civilian attire. Currently there is no MarAdmin, or MCO regarding this issue, it says footwear is authorized. Now I don't own a pair of the New Combat Boots, I have the old black jungle boots. However when I was in you could wear the black ones with civies. Until this issue is covered by the Uniform Board the boots would be okay to wear. As it only states footwear. It does not imply coraframs, or combat boots. However wearing the new boots, with civies if you are still in would make you look like a boot. I wear regular shoes lol:D

you can't wear cammies with the EGA on it because it is "exclusively
military in character" it's really that simple... and that IS why they put it on there...

the MARPAT with the EGA on it "exclusively military in character"... why you can't see this blows my mind.

>Ch 5 (1) Items authorized for wear with civilian clothing by men are
restricted to the gold cuff links, studs, tie bar, mourning band, footwear,
socks, gloves, undergarments (the green undershirt may only be worn for black bow-tie, green wool scarf, general purpose trunks, and crew neck-
service sweater, the all-weather coat, tanker jacket, the dress blue sweater
without insignia of grade (with or without epaulettes), watch caps, and cold
weather physical training uniforms (only worn as a set for PT situations, for
non-PT situations, only the sweatshirt or running suit jackan outergarment or as a layering garment). ALMAR 019/08

implies your footwear that you wear for your service uniforms... corafams.
Agian were does it say anything about only dress footweer(coroframs)

read through those items that are authorized... do you see anything other than service uniform items? maybe that's because only THOSE service uniform items are authorized!!!!! I assure you, you are wrong in what you think, you only made it to LCPL and had no NCO training or SNCO training... stop giving Marines who are still in Ideas that will get them in trouble...

because whether you want to believe it or not, what you are saying about wearing this stuff in civies only translates to them as being able to wear out in town.

you are not helping anybody, you are trying to show you can be right if you interpret orders in your own way. Guess what, it's not up to you to do that. It's the COMMANDS right and privilege to tell you how they think the order is intended.

Petz
01-11-09, 11:48 AM
Regarding hair reg; has anyone found out a good way to give themselves a horseshoe? I can fade myself with the clippers and maintain a pretty good zero. I even cheat and use a baseball cap to get a straight line all the way around.

I have not figured out a way to get a good horseshoe going without creating some sort of contraption that allows me to mount multiple mirrors on a swivelling arm....

That may be my next project :idea:

horse shoes are specifically un-authorized as is a high-and-tight to the extreme... not saying anyone will get you on it unless you are a bag of asz.

echo3oscar1833
01-11-09, 02:23 PM
That, and if you really want this to go away you can grab a pair, and just tell everyone exactly what it was you sent me on my profile, and in the PM's before I deleted them. Im sure everyone hear would love to hear exactly what it was you said to me. Apparently accountability dosn't apply to you. Like I said in all of these posts when I was in I was within regulation on everything I did, and would be if I put it on today. Agian I dont wear my uniform anymore due to tattoos because that would put me out of regs. I have been accountable for everything I have said on here. Agian you havn't, accountable, until you step up, and tell people what you said. Your word, and thoughts mean nothing to me.

PaidinBlood
01-11-09, 03:06 PM
We have an awful lot of different backgrounds here and it sure seems pretty ****ty to look down on anyone due to rank. Sure wish I could see some salty Sgt Maj shred you into little pieces all over the grass. I guess I should line up next so you can tell me my faults, too. My only NCO training was leading Marines to Iraq and bringing them home again (twice) but I never learned what goes where in a wall locker so I guess I'm not up to snuff for you. (No my "hat" doesn't have a little white sticker in it either!) Your arrogance disgusts me. If you don't like what he said, state your piece and move on. Guess I'm new here, but I always thought personal attacks were a no-no. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

echo3oscar1833
01-11-09, 03:50 PM
We have an awful lot of different backgrounds here and it sure seems pretty ****ty to look down on anyone due to rank. Sure wish I could see some salty Sgt Maj shred you into little pieces all over the grass. I guess I should line up next so you can tell me my faults, too. My only NCO training was leading Marines to Iraq and bringing them home again (twice) but I never learned what goes where in a wall locker so I guess I'm not up to snuff for you. (No my "hat" doesn't have a little white sticker in it either!) Your arrogance disgusts me. If you don't like what he said, state your piece and move on. Guess I'm new here, but I always thought personal attacks were a no-no. :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown

Well said brother, thanks for backing me up, and yes I agree with Yellowing this should be moved to Private Messages. Semper Fi

PaidinBlood
01-11-09, 04:10 PM
Sorry I saw that a little late. Well I guess y'all already took care of it without my two pennies. Have fun and play nice then..

NoRemorse
01-11-09, 04:48 PM
horse shoes are specifically un-authorized as is a high-and-tight to the extreme... not saying anyone will get you on it unless you are a bag of asz.

Didn't know about a high-and-tight to the extreme. I won't be wearing any uniforms anytime soon and ain't looking to get out of reg when the good Lord and our Beloved Corps give me the opportunity to do so again.

Speaking of which; I have to go shave.

outlaw3179
01-11-09, 05:00 PM
Wow, Theres a whole lot of sexual tension in here.

PaidinBlood
01-11-09, 05:04 PM
Wow, Theres a whole lot of sexual tension in here.

http://www.leavesoflorien.co.uk/interests/star%20trek/insp_sexual_tension.png

PaidinBlood
01-11-09, 05:05 PM
http://www.horror-movies.ca/AdvHTML_Upload/DONKEY_ED-QUAD_RS.jpg

outlaw3179
01-11-09, 05:06 PM
lol..thats some funny sh*t man.

PaidinBlood
01-11-09, 05:06 PM
Ok now I'm done, I swear.

echo3oscar1833
01-11-09, 09:51 PM
http://www.horror-movies.ca/AdvHTML_Upload/DONKEY_ED-QUAD_RS.jpg

good one brother lol. SF:marine:

Petz
01-12-09, 12:02 AM
Didn't know about a high-and-tight to the extreme. I won't be wearing any uniforms anytime soon and ain't looking to get out of reg when the good Lord and our Beloved Corps give me the opportunity to do so again.

Speaking of which; I have to go shave.

...ooohh, uh, thought that was a question of if it's authorized....

as for doing one, I thought one of those huge wide combs for the top was what worked best... or by hand.

the high and tights I'm used to seeing are the high regs that are tight to the scalp... the MCO has a Mohawk strip about an inch and a half running down the center of the head as un-authorized... that's why I called that extreme.

NoRemorse
01-12-09, 07:50 AM
...ooohh, uh, thought that was a question of if it's authorized....

as for doing one, I thought one of those huge wide combs for the top was what worked best... or by hand.

the high and tights I'm used to seeing are the high regs that are tight to the scalp... the MCO has a Mohawk strip about an inch and a half running down the center of the head as un-authorized... that's why I called that extreme.

Ah, that's what I get for assuming, I had thought you meant a complete shave of the head and a zero up top being an extreme high-and-tight.

I was unaware as to whether or not bic'ing the head (at all) was authorized.

PaidinBlood
01-12-09, 07:52 AM
sure is. saves people lots of money, especially in country... (although apparently I was the only guy cutting my hair there...)

NoRemorse
01-12-09, 07:55 AM
sure is. saves people lots of money, especially in country... (although apparently I was the only guy cutting my hair there...)

I don't take for granted the electric clippers, straight razor, private head and multiple mirrors I've got at home.

I'll rig up a field-grade shave kit; hand-crank generator, reinforced clippers and eyes in the back of my head.

PaidinBlood
01-12-09, 07:58 AM
just dip your head in Nair. Way easier.

NoRemorse
01-12-09, 08:06 AM
just dip your head in Nair. Way easier.

And reveal all my head lumps and bumps? Pshaw!

KawiGunny
01-12-09, 08:27 AM
SSgt Petzold....... I have only been retired for less than a year and don't recall anything ever saying that someone who has left the ranks of the Corps couldn't wear the "digi's" or the new boots that have the EGA on them. I do know you can't wear rank/badges as you mentioned earlier. Can you please pass on those referrances for future knowledge? I would like to have something in black and white stating we cant. I wear my old boots (with EGA on them) when hunting or doing yard work. I don't want something that is open for opinion but something that "breaks it down barney style".

Petz
01-12-09, 08:55 AM
Gunny, there are some earlier posts that talk about occasions when you can wear your uniform, though I think it's more directed towards the service and dress uniforms.

however, though I can find the order and point things out... I can honestly say, I wear that stuff when it suits the purpose..... I'm not saying you can't wear stuff you paid for but when it comes down to the twigs and berries of it.... it's not authorized to wear anything inherently "military" in civies/not on base.

so, yeah... as E3O has said, no-one is going to stop you from wearing it... well unless it's a military engagement probably.

KawiGunny
01-12-09, 09:49 AM
Gunny, there are some earlier posts that talk about occasions when you can wear your uniform, though I think it's more directed towards the service and dress uniforms.

however, though I can find the order and point things out... I can honestly say, I wear that stuff when it suits the purpose..... I'm not saying you can't wear stuff you paid for but when it comes down to the twigs and berries of it.... it's not authorized to wear anything inherently "military" in civies/not on base.

so, yeah... as E3O has said, no-one is going to stop you from wearing it... well unless it's a military engagement probably.

Roger that. As most orders don't "spell it out", we have to guess at what is considered right and wrong and use our better judgement. Like the term "inherently military". That alone is open to opinions. I wear one of my old woodland blouses sometimes when working outdoors or even hunting. Even though it is considered outdated I still took the name taps off.

Petz
01-12-09, 09:55 AM
well I mentioned that the COMC put the EGA on the boots and MARPAT for a reason. <br />
<br />
by doing so, he made it &quot;inherently military&quot; and he has given the commanders the ability to hammer someone for...

SGT7477
01-12-09, 09:59 AM
Gunny I myself never seen or heard any orders I wore my utilities all the time when I left out beloved Corps and the black combat boots also, I believe we can also wear our dress uniforms with an...

KawiGunny
01-12-09, 10:07 AM
You are correct about the uniforms. There are certain occaissins that we can. Just can't wear it downtown to pick up hookers. :D

NoRemorse
01-12-09, 10:12 AM
You are correct about the uniforms. There are certain occaissins that we can. Just can't wear it downtown to pick up hookers. :D

Well... in that case.... let's just say I'm in uniform and in a vehicle trying to pick up hookers. I'm supposed to stay covered while in the vehicle, correct? :confused:

KawiGunny
01-12-09, 10:16 AM
Well... in that case.... let's just say I'm in uniform and in a vehicle trying to pick up hookers. I'm supposed to stay covered while in the vehicle, correct? :confused:

If you are in uniform and having to go pick up a hooker then you shouldn't be driving because you probably have drank to much already. As far as the cover..... as long as it doesn't interfer with your driving (wind coming in your window and blowing it off your head while driving).

Petz
01-12-09, 10:48 AM

only in a government vehicle are you required to have a cover on, and when on base if it's not going to present a danger to driving.

Petz
01-12-09, 10:50 AM
if you are refering to never seeing any orders pertaining to this situation, you should try to picture how many orders are out there and how much info is in them... I only come across some dumb stuff...

SGT7477
01-12-09, 10:51 AM

Oh you could just don't get caught.:D

Petz
01-12-09, 10:52 AM
that's always the case.

"it isn't cheating until you get caught" richard petty

SGT7477
01-12-09, 10:53 AM
if you are refering to never seeing any orders pertaining to this situation, you should try to picture how many orders are out there and how much info is in them... I only come across some dumb stuff like this when I'm trying to look up something else.

besides.. just because it's there doesn't mean it's mean to be enforced... they have it so JAGs can fry people longer and harder....

Like who is going to waste their time reading between the lines,lol?:flag:

Petz
01-12-09, 10:55 AM
your CO... what do you think he's doing sitting in his office all day???

seriously, I was a company clerk for a few months (training NCO) and I swear... nothing actually got done!! he just sat there staring at a computer screen... the XO did all the real work.

SGT7477
01-12-09, 11:07 AM
I see where you are coming from as far as wearing the utilities mine have been worn out for years but my 3 dress uniforms are like new, one in a museum and the other two in my closet.

Petz
01-12-09, 01:36 PM
the majority of the uniform regs for everything that has been said here (well that I have said) was geared towards mostly service and dress uniforms... I was just proving my point earlier with E3O about the cammies....

the only uniform items are up there somewhere in that quagmire of information...

and as you said, it's really a discredit to those who wear it with pride when one guys wears it for personal gain, and that's what these orders are really about.

ronniejr37
02-05-09, 10:13 PM
OK, here is a good one, is it OK for me to wear my STEEL POT,,,around town,,,hee heee,,,,"SOUND OFF ALL YOU STEEL POT MARINES"

bucksgted
02-05-09, 10:36 PM
OK, here is a good one, is it OK for me to wear my STEEL POT,,,around town,,,hee heee,,,,"SOUND OFF ALL YOU STEEL POT MARINES"

Mine has black soot from all da cooking in it. What's an old Marine to do?

ronniejr37
02-05-09, 10:49 PM
ROGER THAT, although I have to admit, I didnt wear mine all that much,,,only about 5 times that I can remember when I had some sort of field training!!! Mostly wore my aircrew helmet!!!,,,but yeh, still have mine, it has a lil soot, and the inside is nice and shiney,,,ok, a lil corrosion!!!...........and how did I get it u ask,,,I take the 5th,,,,They did start issuing the Kevlar helmet when I was in,,but never got issued one or wore one,,,mostly the FMF units got them and as far as I know, they technially were still in the test phase and not yet issued Marine Corps wide,,,but love my STEEL POT

e4tango
02-16-09, 08:12 AM
b. Former Members of the Armed Forces. Unless qualified under another
provision of this Order or under the provisions of 10 U.S.C. 772, former
members who served honorably during a declared or undeclared war and whose most recent service was terminated under honorable conditions may wear the uniform in the highest grade held during such war service only upon the following occasions and in the course of travel incident thereto:
(1) Military funerals, memorial services, weddings, and inaugurals.
(2) Parades on national or state holidays; or other parades or
ceremonies of a patriotic character in which any active or reserve United
States military unit are taking part.

Would I be interpreting this correctly if I were to understand that a former Marine who served during the Cold War would be allowed to wear his uniform during a graduation ceremony at boot camp?

SGT7477
02-16-09, 09:18 AM
Thank You Marine, Semper FI.

Petz
02-16-09, 10:41 AM
when they mean war, that definition is combat in traditional terms of firing rounds at each other. The cold war was a war of political power and persuasion. there is not a campaign medal for the cold...

iamcloudlander
02-16-09, 09:04 PM
I mean this to be funny (ha ha funny) but isn't this sort of irrelevant question as I know many former Marines. The ones that have kept their uniforms do not wear them as they no longer fit. My uniforms are 44 years old but they still fit. I do not wear them to any functions as I feel that this is for the young Marines still on
active duty or in the reserves. I wear my red blazer Marine Corps League blazer with my ribbons and awards.

Petz
02-17-09, 12:19 AM
it is for those who have been out a while... though there are some who get off of active duty and in the short time (a few years maybe) are wondering about wearing their uniform for a certain occasion. example would be after I get out, and my air force brother is have a military wedding, am I allowed to wear my uniform.... that's what I figured most of this is geared towards.

what is irrelevant is the direction towards retired military guys... I'm certain they are smart enough to find this information out on their own......... 'course this thread was started by a E-3 Med Sep.

PaidinBlood
02-17-09, 12:41 AM
it is for those who have been out a while... though there are some who get off of active duty and in the short time (a few years maybe) are wondering about wearing their uniform for a certain occasion. example would be after I get out, and my air force brother is have a military wedding, am I allowed to wear my uniform.... that's what I figured most of this is geared towards.

what is irrelevant is the direction towards retired military guys... I'm certain they are smart enough to find this information out on their own......... 'course this thread was started by a E-3 Med Sep.

Aw Hell I bet we don't need round 2....or is it 3? :scared:

Petz
02-17-09, 12:41 AM
what? with E3B????

PaidinBlood
02-17-09, 12:43 AM
I'm just sayin'....

Petz
02-17-09, 01:38 AM
I think he wasn't thinking of all the angles when he named his thread.

PaidinBlood
02-17-09, 01:41 AM
True...true.. very different situations. Had hardly looked at the thread name, to tell you the truth...

Petz
02-17-09, 01:45 AM
I generally speak in vagueness so that I can always cover my a$$

PaidinBlood
02-17-09, 01:55 AM
Spoken like a Consummate Professional... wait I've heard that somewhere....

Petz
02-17-09, 02:06 AM
well I didn't say it to be funny... I really do do this.

PaidinBlood
02-17-09, 02:26 AM
well I didn't say it to be funny... I really do do this.

No I certainly believe that. I was making a poor attempt to allude to the 3/5 motto. "Consummate Professionals". Obviously not known to too many outside of the Mysterious Fraternal Order of the DArkhorse.... dumb.

Petz
02-17-09, 02:28 AM
apparently so.... on both counts.

check out the tags!

Brent2651
05-11-09, 08:15 PM
What if one served for at least 4 years, maybe longer, and earned the National Defense Service Medal or Viet Nam campaign medals, or even campaign medals/NDSM from the first Gulf War?

But wait...what if the same individual(s) crossed over to another service and retired with that service?

Have they forfeit their privelege to wear Marine Dress Blues in ceremonies honoring their Marine peers who are sailing off into the sunset of their careers?

If they may don their Marine Blues once more, then what rank shall they wear? The rank they earned during their Corps years? Or the USMC rank insignia commensurate with the rank they retired at?

What about medals and ribbons? Admittedly, not all "sister" service ribbons, badges and devices are authorized for wear on the USMC Blues, but of the ones which are, shall the individual wear only the ones they earned as Marines, or may they also wear the ones earned in the service in which they retired?

Example: earned a NAM, GCM and NDSM in the Corps, then earned the GWOT-E and Iraq Campaign Medal in the Army? If the Marine Blues were to be worn for old time's sake, then would the GWOT-E and Iraq Medal have to be omitted, as they were earned later in another service?

"Why not just wear the uniform of the service they retired in," you might say?

Well...sometimes a Marine just has to display his colors, for the sake of old times.

I remember seeing an old WWII era Marine, at least in his 70's, wearing his Sergeant's Blues at a Birthday Ball ceremony about 17 years ago. None of the other Marines batted an eye. In fact, he was the talk of the town, so to say. He looked like a fit war-ready Marine with an old face. Nothing discraceful about his appearance. We even had one former Marine there in his Air Force Dress Blues.

Anyway, how would the reg's apply to those who retired in other services but earned their Blues privelege as Marines?

I have read MCOP1020.34F (getting ready to read .34G), but it still seems a little vague in this regard.

Brent2651
05-11-09, 08:37 PM
Reading MCOP1020.34G...

Got the answer for the rank question in 11003(5). Only the rank acquired while in Marine Corps service (makes sense).

Still not clear on whether the medals/ribbons should be limited only to those earned while in USMC service...

Still not certain whether the Blues can be worn if the former Marine retired from another service. It would be awkward trying to explain a retired ID card from another service, even with a USMC DD214 in pocket.

However, awkward or common sense is not what I am looking for: regulations, authorizations and standard acceptable practices are.

Brent2651
05-11-09, 09:19 PM
One more question: <br />
<br />
Would former Marines who were retroactively awarded the Korea Defense Service Medal qualify to wear their Blues to military functions (retirements, funerals, parades, etc?) <br />

wsky9er
05-12-09, 12:36 AM
I found this if its useful <br />
<br />
Chapter 45 - The Uniform <br />
CITE 10 USC CHAPTER 45 - THE UNIFORM 01/26/98 <br />
EXPCITE TITLE 10 - ARMED FORCES <br />
Subtitle A - General Military Law <br />
PART II - PERSONNEL...

Petz
05-12-09, 08:53 PM
that's actually in this thread maybe two or three times.... but yes it would help.

pierced58
05-29-09, 09:48 AM
I too proudly served and wear my woodland blouse on memorial, veterans and Marine Corp. birthday,and never had any problems. I display my squadron patch and 2nd Marine isignia patch, every encounter i've had was a positive one. People would stop and ask what the patches represent or just to say thank you for your service, instead i would thank them for their support and remind them there are still servicemen and servicewomen that need the support of everyone. So the next time you see someone wearing an old cover or blouse out of regulation stop and think, this is what this person is still proud of ,no one has the right to take that from him or her, stop and thank them for their service . every person counts.... always have.

SEMPER FIDELIS

Rick Diaz , ret., U.S.M.C
HMH-362 UGLY ANGELS

Petz
05-29-09, 09:33 PM
I've never had a problem with an older gentlemen who served wear a uniform item... it's when you have young kids wear it knowing better... and wear it when they do stupid stuff.... and being young, dumb and fat.... making the branch look bad...

those days you mentioned are great days for everyone to wear uniform items in a proper, repectable manner.

Libertydoc
06-04-21, 03:20 PM
A late comer to this party. My history is similar as I did an interservice transfer due to education. What is the guidance on wearing the Marine uniform? What rank do I wear as I was a higher rank in the Navy after I switched? (The benefits of education thanks to the GI Bill.)

Zulu 36
06-04-21, 04:40 PM
If you wear a Marine uniform, you would wear the highest rank earned as a Marine. However, If you retired from the Navy, you should wear your Navy uniform with the highest rank earned as a sailor.

After I got out of active duty with the Corps, I went into the Michigan Air National Guard. As I was also a civilian police officer, I got to know the Marine recruiters working out of the office in my town and was invited to the RSS MC Ball several times. As I was in a reserve of the Air Force, I wore my Air Force dress uniform to the ball.

I got some funny looks until my Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal was noticed, at which point I was welcomed back into the gun club like I had never left.

Libertydoc
06-04-21, 05:26 PM
Thanks for the reply. Interestingly, as a Navy guy attached to Marines, I wore a Marine uniform with the rank I earned in the Navy (which was higher than what I'd earned as a Marine.) I'd also known another in similar circumstances who had done the same thing but that was on active duty. Buying another uniform is probably more money than I want to spend but I was curious. We just had a memorial day event and one of the guys from my Marine Corps League detachment was wearing his uniform so I got to wondering.