PDA

View Full Version : 0861 Fire Support Man

Mickey McSwain
01-08-09, 10:37 AM
I ship out to boot in 18 days, and had some questions about the 0861 Field.

1. Do 0861's call in for the support with the radio, or do they relay the coordinates to a radio operator?
2. Does the training focus on trigonometry and other higher levels of math, or is it more on map and compasses?
3. Do 0861's go to MCT or the Infantry training school, since they go along with fire teams in the field?
4. Any additional information would be greatly appreciated

I've already talked to my recruiter and his boss about this job, but not all of my questions were answered.

Thank you

rvillac2
01-08-09, 01:36 PM
1. They are trained to call it in themselves.
2. The training is demanding when it comes to higher level math skills and navigation skills.
3. All non-03s go to MCT. No exceptions.
4. You must be eligible for a security clearance and your schooling will be longer than other fields.

Keep in mind that this field is relatively small and your chances for getting this MOS are slim. If you're guaranteed an 08xx job, you will most likely become an 0811. 2nd most likely is 0844, FDC.

Mickey McSwain
01-09-09, 04:27 PM
When you say higher levels of math, do you mean calculus, pre-cal, and trigonometry, or is it more of geometry and algebra?

Thank you

rvillac2
01-09-09, 07:12 PM
I'm not sure how deep they go, but for artillery, or any indirect fire, you need to know the concepts in trig, geometry and definitely algebra.
What are you worried about? If your ASVAB scores qualify for this MOS, all you need to worry about is studying hard enough in the school. Their training techniques are proven.
Are you going for Active or Reserve?

DarrinC
01-09-09, 07:30 PM
When you get to Lawton, concentrate on your studies. Spend an hour or two a night going over your work and you can go to Gerts and Scooters later haha.

Overall its a pretty badass MOS. When I got kicked out of SOI for being injured thats what I tried to get. But I got sent to 0842 Field Artillery Radar. If you want to be directly involved with the fight, don't get my job. The 61s that I know seem to love their job.

Mickey McSwain
01-10-09, 08:05 PM
I was/am worried because I failed my trig course that I took at school, and Pre Cal and I don't agree. In answer to your other question, I'm going active. Thank you so much for your help and for answering my questions

rvillac2
01-10-09, 10:53 PM
Well, if that is the case, don't worry about getting selected for FO. It won't happen. Don't let anyone convince you that it will.

Mickey McSwain
01-12-09, 11:12 AM
FO? I'm not accustomed to all the acronyms. What is FO?

0231Marine
01-12-09, 11:34 AM
Forward Observer...they are out front calling for fire

61Marine
03-24-09, 10:03 PM
The math for calling for fire isn't hard. At all. Can you establish a bracket (one round over, one round short), and begin splitting your range corrections in half? If so, you should be fine. There's really not too much math involved, other than things like OT Factor (used to estimate adjustment of a round to the Left/Right). If you can pass Algebra (or maybe more like Algebra 2), you should be fine.

Oh, and Lawton sucks donkey balls. The Army are a bunch of slapnuts (movie theaters? In basic?... damn turds..). And Suze's is your one stop shop for haircuts and... massages. Yeah.

61Marine
03-24-09, 10:04 PM
Oh, I forgot a piece.

You won't call in **** until you're JFO qualified. You'll do all the adjustments and everything, but the 0802 will do the actual CFF.

And Lawton still sucks.

rvillac2
03-24-09, 10:18 PM
And Lawton still sucks.
Amen, Brother.

The only fun thing I did there was watch Full Metal Jacket with several other Marines surrounded by hundreds of Army fools.

Anding
03-27-09, 10:37 PM
Im in lawton right now. I've been awaiting training for 2 months. wtf?

Ill finally pick up class in April though. 0811 here.

Ethan
03-27-09, 11:19 PM
Hey Anding I was at Ft. Sill from August till March 6th, so dont be complaining too much, i was there long enough to do the 0847 and 0842 courses.

61Marine
03-29-09, 04:35 PM
When I was there, the battery had a Cpl who had been there for 1-1/2 years (MedSep). Now that sucks. He was there longer than the Btry HQ SNCOs. Yeah, that would suck. Big time.

I was in awaiting training for a couple of weeks, then the barracks got full, so all the 44s and 61s got send home for two weeks of PTAD. I got back, was there for about 4 days, then picked up in MASOC 3-08. Now I work with Gunny who was MASOC's class GySgt. Go figure.