PDA

View Full Version : Philadelphia's Tyson Smith headed to Iraq with Marines

thedrifter
01-08-09, 07:32 AM
1/7/2009 6:00:00 PM
Philadelphia's Tyson Smith headed to Iraq with Marines

By Leah Tolbert
Staff Reporter

A dream to leave Neshoba County and see the world might not have been possible for Tyson Smith had it not been for a long line at an Army signup station on the day he was to enlist.

The 19-year-old Philadelphia native had originally thought about joining the Army, but changed his mind when he noticed the Army station was packed with people, while the Marine area seemed rather desolate.

He signed up for the Marines, and now, a year later, he is scheduled to leave for Iraq.

After completing recruit training with the U.S. Marine Corps, Smith was home recently for an extended visit with his family. The Marine gunner heads to Iraq in early February.

Smith's duty as a Marine is to be the first to fight in a battle, whether on in the air, on land or in the sea.

After graduating from Philadelphia High School in 2007, Smith decided he wanted to leave home and see the world.

"I wanted to go places where I never would, otherwise," said Smith. "I wanted to better myself."

He said the Marines would allow him to do this, so Smith joined the summer after graduation.

"I have a mindset to be the best at whatever I do," said Smith. "If I decide to do something, I'm going to go all the way. I chose the Marines, because they are the best of the best."

He began his 13 weeks of boot camp that fall where physical activity was a constant. He had daily intensive exercise routines that included far more than the average amount of running, pull-ups, pushups and crunches, he said.

Upon completion of PT training, Smith was sent to Marine Combat Training, where he was taught the basics of combat in less than two months. He learned room clearing, the proper methods of shooting, operating, and maintaining weapons and basic survival skills.

Smith was assigned to the Marine logistics group in the Motor Transport Field as a motor transportation operator.

As a motor transport Marine in the field he is expected to ensure the lives of everyone he carries from designated points arrives safely and quickly.

His job description in transportation is to move units, personnel, equipment and supplies, conduct motor transport, landing support, materials handling and embarkation and be responsible for port and terminal operations.

After receiving his assignment, Smith went to Marine Occupation Specialty School for a month to learn more about his role. There, he was taught basic Motor "T" skills such as how to the check engines in a M-series seven ton vehicle.

Through training alone, Smith traveled to South Carolina, North Carolina, California and Missouri. On the weekends and during time off, Smith and his friends worked out at gyms and played paintball in Raleigh and Charlotte.

He will be returning to North Carolina before leaving for Iraq.

After the Marines, Smith wants to work in law enforcement. He plans to take classes online in this field while in Iraq.

As a piece of advice to those interested in joining the Marines, Smith said anyone can join the Army, but to do the best at something is to be a Marine.

"They test your abilities," he said. "They show what you are of made."

Smith enjoyed his time at home with his family and friends during the holidays. He is the son of Butch Smith, Liz Graham and Charlie Graham. His siblings are: Mallory, Terry and Melindah Smith, Wendy Moore and Kim Page. His house dog is Ginger, and his hunting dog is Bob.

Smith left home on Monday. He will be in Iraq for seven months to a year. Afterwards, he will have a little over a year left to serve with the Marines.

Ellie