thedrifter
01-08-09, 06:46 AM
Oakley reaches out to Iraqi War vet
By Jonathan Lockett
EAST COUNTY TIMES
Contra Costa Times
Posted:01/07/2009 07:01:28 PM PST

OAKLEY — Cpl. Billy Hyder needed help.

On top of dealing with war-related physical ailments and post-traumatic stress disorder, he hadn't been paid by the military for months because his paperwork filed under Title 10 of the U.S. Code was held up for an unknown reason, forcing his family to struggle to make ends meet.

With his wife, Cheryl, working a part-time job to provide for her husband and 13 year-old daughter, Jolene, money for food and bills was tough to come by, but on Saturday, help arrived.

Fred "Spike" Schau and other members of the Patriot Guard Riders came to Hyder's one-room house with cash, food and gift cards for he and his family at a time when the family was struggling to come up with necessities. It was an unexpected positive after a bleak Christmas season.

"It was hard to believe," Cheryl said. "It was really nice to hear the support because for awhile there it felt like I was alone. The outpouring of support since people got word of things has been amazing."

Schau, a Navy veteran, said there was a plethora of support for the family and there are still people and organizations looking to help the family out.

"We all went over there with 22 bikes and I think we cleared almost two grand for them," Schau said. "There's still people we haven't collected donations from."

Billy has served since 1989 in the U.S. Navy, Marines and Army. In February, he suffered injuries to his spinal chord and head, and developed PTSD after an ambush in Sadr City, Baghdad. The city has been an area of conflict for soldiers since 2004.

In November, after being home since May, Billy checked into the Pathway Home Program in Yountville, to deal with PTSD, leaving his wife to take care of things at home. He'd been forgetful and had anger issues, which his wife noticed, he said.

"My wife pushed the issue — that I'd come back different and I needed help," Billy said. "This place has saved my family."

Billy said he didn't fully realize what had been going on at home. Cheryl said she bought only enough food to get by, and was as frugal as possible.

"We were real smart," Cheryl said. "When he came back home, we paid our rent about six, seven months in advance. Until after Thanksgiving we were doing OK. All we could do was hope that something would happen with his orders or that something would happen with his pension."

Spike said he received an e-mail about Billy's situation from a concerned person. He found out that the family had been using a good part of their money on gas to go see Billy in Yountville, and they were really struggling. A mission was put together in a matter of hours, Spike said, and e-mails were sent to find people who could help.

"We put missions together in less than two hours," Schau said. "That's how quick it can happen with the Patriot Guard."

Things are currently in the works to help with the family's housing situation and to give much-needed medical attention to one of Billy's dogs. City councilman Bruce Connelley has worked with the Delta Lions Club to secure donations and explore housing and veterinary options.

"We're all working together and taking care of the people who were taking care of us," Connelley said. "I'm not doing this as a council member. I'm doing this as a concerned citizen."

Billy's paperwork has since been processed and Schau added that he should be receiving his Title 10 benefits soon. The benefits would pay the family as if Billy were still active and provide medical coverage for him and his family, Billy said.

Despite the situation, Billy said he doesn't feel as he is worthy of all the support. He said there are many people in the Pathway Program who could use help. He said the community deserved credit for its good deeds.

"I didn't do anything special (in Iraq)," Billy said. "We went over there and did a job. The Dirty Dogs, the Patriot Guard Riders — they made everything worthwhile. And then the other people and the pathway house — this is a nonprofit organization, so these are the people that deserve all the credit."

Jonathan Lockett covers East County. Reach him at 925-779-7174 or jlockett@bayareanewsgroup.com.

Ellie