PDA

View Full Version : Drill Instructor cover.

fespar
01-08-09, 12:49 AM
Last year I purchased an older,brown, Drill Instructor cover on eBay.How do I get it clean?It has no stains but has been sitting for some time.:evilgrin:

Petz
01-08-09, 01:39 AM
I think you're screwed.... notice the material.... how do you think you clean that?

there's a reason hats get new covers each time they pick up new kids.

fespar
01-08-09, 01:58 AM
The cover is not to be worn by a Drill Instructor!I'm going to wear it in civilian life.Any high quality hat can be cleaned,I just want to know if there's a "Marine Corps Way" of cleaning it.

bootlace15
01-08-09, 02:35 AM
you better not wear that cover,you did'nt earn it. I just put a special curse on you!!!!!!!!!!!! Your head will fall off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fespar
01-08-09, 08:01 AM
I'm wearing it WITHOUT the Eagle,Globe and Anchor!!!I'd never try to impersonate a Marine Corps Drill Instructor.

fespar
01-08-09, 08:40 AM
As a former U.S.Marine,I have the greatest respect for our Drill Instructors.Their cover,when worn without the emblem,is not an item reserved exclusively for Drill Instructors.I intend to wear it at the correct angle and with an appropriate haircut (without the emblem).

itzs4m
01-08-09, 08:48 AM
i believe that the campaign covers can be steam cleaned? i may be wrong, ask around local cleaning shops. And I don't know if it's a good idea to wear them in public like a normal hat. Campaign covers are worn to show a sign of authority.

MUSTANG0369
01-08-09, 09:39 AM
Wrong!!!! read the LAWS regarding wear of military uniforms. <br />
<br />
<br />
11004. LAWS PERTAINING TO THE UNIFORM <br />
1. Per 10 U.S.C. 771, no person, unless otherwise authorized by law, may wear the...

MUSTANG0369
01-08-09, 09:41 AM
I hope this helps, I earned mine, and have no intention on ever wearing it again.

It is on a plaque signed by R. Lee......

Semper FI

Petz
01-08-09, 10:39 AM
man.... I didn't think he planned on wearing it... though he would want a cool looking smoky for something.

MUSTANG0369
01-08-09, 10:41 AM
i didnt either till i saw wear with correct angle and haircut.........

Petz
01-08-09, 10:45 AM
yeah... well sir, even without the EGA on it I feel it's kinda silly to be wearing around... all it takes is an OLD school hat to notice and go off on him in the middle of the street, probably resulting in a forcible removal of the cover.

MUSTANG0369
01-08-09, 10:48 AM
Yeah i cannot imagine why you would want to wear that unless you were some sort of law enforcement officer that had the exact specification. I can see it now.

levis - check
nice shirt - check
campaign cover that i never earned - check

yep I am ready for the town........

OK, I have to stop the blood is starting to boil.

mjhpgh
01-08-09, 10:57 AM
I understand the significance of the campaign cover today as it is only authorized for DIs . At one time it was issued to every Marine.I did not earn one and would not wear one . <br />
<br />
What about...

Petz
01-08-09, 11:04 AM
I think that you are missing the point... it IS issue gear in the current military so it becomes part of the law the LT posted. <br />
<br />
if you are OVER analyzing what he said and applying it to something...

Quinbo
01-08-09, 11:06 AM
Go to a western wear store. There is special brushes and spray cleaners designed for cleaning felt cowboy hats.

thewookie
01-08-09, 11:09 AM
Not to ruffle any feathers or go against the great words given here by those who have - but it's not just DI's that are authorized to wear the campaign cover.

I still have my campaign cover in a cover box/press hanging up at my house from my days sweating and freezing on the range, and with the shooting team. Depending on the range, and the CWO running it, you might see Marines wearing them, but I'm not sure if they still do today. Back in my day, all permanent personnel at Damneck range who were PMI's wore them. If I was a regulation geek then I could find the reg that tells you that - no offense, Sir.

I have a pic in my profile of me wearing mine standing next to GySgt. Hathcock at the range at Damneck - although the pic was damaged in a fire it's still one of my favorites.

The only time I had to clean mine is when a bird, I imagine it was a seagull, shiat on my hat while I was teaching range school.

I used some hot water, soap, and a rag for that.

Thank god for that cover that day.

mjhpgh
01-08-09, 11:14 AM
Lighten up .It is a valid point is it a problem for a person to wear a digi cove after they are discharged? I see people wear them .

Petz
01-08-09, 11:16 AM
Not to ruffle any feathers or go against the great words given here by those who have - but it's not just DI's that are authorized to wear the campaign cover.

I still have my campaign cover in a cover box/press hanging up at my house from my days sweating and freezing on the range, and with the shooting team. Depending on the range, and the CWO running it, you might see Marines wearing them, but I'm not sure if they still do today. Back in my day, all permanent personnel at Damneck range who were PMI's wore them. If I was a regulation geek then I could find the reg that tells you that - no offense, Sir.

I have a pic in my profile of me wearing mine standing next to GySgt. Hathcock at the range at Damneck - although the pic was damaged in a fire it's still one of my favorites.

The only time I had to clean mine is when a bird, I imagine it was a seagull, shiat on my hat while I was teaching range school.

I used some hot water, soap, and a rag for that.

Thank god for that cover that day.

holy crap balls!! I forgot about that wookie! I really apologize about forgetting that... yet another reason we kicked butt in WWI was our marksmanship and PMIs (I think they just changed that to CMI or T combat marksmanship instructor/teacher) get the cover as well for maintaining that high standard.

edit: yeah... I don't have much exposure to PMIs so they weren't dominant in my mind...

NoRemorse
01-08-09, 11:19 AM
That's not in the reg; they're authorized for the field and such. <br />
<br />
Replicas without an EGA are probably ok though.

mjhpgh
01-08-09, 11:22 AM
You see vets from all branches wearing their issued /newly purchased field covers.

NoRemorse
01-08-09, 11:25 AM
You see vets from all branches wearing their issued /newly purchased field covers.

And you get can a lot of those as replicas from different stores; some say POW-MIA, others say VFW.

You see an old salt wearing them and what are you gonna do? Somebody my age would get his ass chewed out for wearing any of that.

Petz
01-08-09, 11:25 AM
from all branches.... Marines don't wear authorized covers like that (i've never seen them) they prefer other covers to show which branch of service they belong to.

and I/everyone else will not lighten up about something that is simply not authorized... should we all start smoking crack because you want us to lighten up about the law???

so unless you can't understand the rule and regulations the LT put out there for you, then... you shouldn't wear any uniform item after you get out.

Maldonado 2060
01-08-09, 11:27 AM
That's not in the reg; they're authorized for the field and such.

Replicas without an EGA are probably ok though.

To be technical the cover or anygear for that matter that does not have proper markings(Stamped names) on them is unofficial. So I think they might slide on it. I for one will never say some thing to a service man wearing a field cover or field jacket cause they rate it in my eyes.I thought it was awsome as a child seeing old vets walking around with field jackets or covers.Now wearing the whole field uniform that is something else.

Quinbo
01-08-09, 11:28 AM
I wasn't even gonna bring it up because the subject of who rates to wear them was hashed out in here a few years ago in a long drawn out thread that got really ugly towards the end. I also have both a campain cover and a pith helmet. We wore pith helmets coaching on Puuloa range and campain covers coaching on Quantico. Female drill instructors given permission to wear campain covers about 12 years ago. Prior to that they wore a red cord on their arm and the regular uniform cover. General Humble changed that when he took over MCRD PI.

NoRemorse
01-08-09, 11:32 AM
To be technical the cover or anygear for that matter that does not have proper markings(Stamped names) on them is unofficial. So I think they might slide on it. I for one will never say some thing to a service man wearing a field cover or field jacket cause they rate it in my eyes.I thought it was awsome as a child seeing old vets walking around with field jackets or covers.Now wearing the whole field uniform that is something else.

That's my interpretation of the regs as well and my feeling regarding those who've earned the title. I've got some uniform items but they're in my house and for display; not for wear. I've got t-shirts and baseball caps that say USMC on them and I wear those instead.

An issued item with proper markings on it, even without the nametapes, is a no-go. The current digi's have the EGA all over them if you look closely and the digi cover's got the EGA on the front panel. Our issued boots even have the EGA on them.

I don't think I rate it so I won't wear it.

CplKJSpevak
01-08-09, 11:33 AM
No Disrespect But A civilian (former Marine or not) Wearing a Campaign Cover (with no EGA) around town is going to look like a tool. It would be funny to see though!

mjhpgh
01-08-09, 11:37 AM
I would never wear any uniform item with civies on .I never said it was ok .Go see the Moving Wall or another function where Vets gather together and you will see Marines who are no longer serving wearing covers that were issued to them .Sometime they have purchased updated ones .I understand what the reg says .No one police military or civilian is going to bust a Vet for wearing a cover.

mjhpgh
01-08-09, 11:39 AM
No Disrespect But A civilian (former Marine or not) Wearing a Campaign Cover (with no EGA) around town is going to look like a tool. It would be funny to see though!

I agree !

Petz
01-08-09, 11:40 AM

that was the time that spurred these regulations.

some of those guys getting back from Nam were messed up in the head and they did things wearing those jackets that sullied the name of the armed forces.

not to say our active duty brethren aren't doing that now with murders and such that I seem to read every week in Marine Corps times....

thewookie
01-08-09, 12:21 PM
I don't know if this is going to work or not but I went home for lunch and took a pic....

Petz
01-08-09, 12:26 PM
which cover did you prefer the campaign or the safari?

Quinbo
01-08-09, 12:38 PM
Good to go wook.
LOL he said safari LOL

There were times when I hated it. Our tower could not wear a watch cap because ot the headset, but he could wear a campain cover with the headset on. For uniformity we all wore campain covers even if it was freakin 10 below outside.

thewookie
01-08-09, 12:43 PM
which cover did you prefer the campaign or the safari?

For me it was always the safari or pith helmet that I preferred - the main reason for that - a lot of young Marines coming to their first "fleet" range detail would freeze up and not listen to you when you wore that campaign cover, maybe it was a boot camp flashback or maybe it was something else. Plus, I think the pith helmet is lighter on your head. When I used to try and correct a problem shooter on the firing line I would toss the campaign cover off to the side and work with the Marine uncovered. Get real comfortable with them in order to make them relax, and listen, I know because was one of them non-shooting focks before. Not sure if it was the cover or not, but I could always get them dialed in after that.

Petz
01-08-09, 12:45 PM
haha... I think it was the tossing the cover on the ground that made them instantly respect you... did you ever see one of your DI de-cover like that?

fespar
01-08-09, 01:50 PM
Any person can lawfully wear Marine Corps shoes,socks,trousers,trouser-belt,gloves,skivvies AND the tunics, provided all USMC buttons,emblems,chevrons,hashmarks and anything else pertaining to Marine Corps service are removed.Personally,I think that wearing the tunics is going too far.As for the rest,when serviceable and worn correctly and with respect I think it's OK.

CplKJSpevak
01-08-09, 02:16 PM
provided all USMC buttons,emblems,chevrons,hashmarks and anything else pertaining to Marine Corps service are removed.
What about the guy's from my League Det. who are retired CWO's, Master Gunny's. They wear Dress blues to the Birthday ball with everything on them.

NoRemorse
01-08-09, 02:24 PM
What about the guy's from my League Det. who are retired CWO's, Master Gunny's. They wear Dress blues to the Birthday ball with everything on them.

Isn't the ball something we're authorized to wear Blues to?

echo3oscar1833
01-08-09, 02:37 PM
Yes you can still wear the uniform, as long as it is in proper manner, within regulations, at a proper event that would not bring discredit to the Marine Corps. I love how Marines don't read the regs...

Quinbo
01-08-09, 02:57 PM
That raises a question? I went to combat as a Corporal. War over everyone go home and all that. If I decided today to put my blues on for a wedding or a funeral or some such would I be out of regs with Sgt stripes on it? I've read the regs and somewhere in there it says highest rank held while in combat. Believe me fitting into my blues again is a pipe dream but it is an interesting question.

echo3oscar1833
01-08-09, 03:05 PM
That raises a question? I went to combat as a Corporal. War over everyone go home and all that. If I decided today to put my blues on for a wedding or a funeral or some such would I be out of regs with Sgt stripes on it? I've read the regs and somewhere in there it says highest rank held while in combat. Believe me fitting into my blues again is a pipe dream but it is an interesting question.

I just posted all of this in the above thread.:D You got out as a Sergeant, you can wear the Sgt. Stripes. Whatever your last rank was when you got out.

v Wear of Proper Insignia and Awards. When wearing a Marine Corps uniform you may only wear your current rank, or the rank that you left the service with and may only wear the awards you rate per your personnel records. No deviations of this policy are authorized.

echo3oscar1833
01-08-09, 03:17 PM
Im going to add something to all of this that I wrote. Talking about Marines Making up regs, because they don't know the real one. I have seen time and time again. When a Higher up makes up there own...

Quinbo
01-08-09, 03:22 PM
This whole thread has gone high and to the right on the discussion of the wear of the smokey bear. Possibly you could start a new thread with the same topic. I'm all for it.

echo3oscar1833
01-08-09, 03:32 PM
This whole thread has gone high and to the right on the discussion of the wear of the smokey bear. Possibly you could start a new thread with the same topic. I'm all for it.

your rights there brother I will copy all of my posts here over to a new one lol:marine:

SgtHMH
01-08-09, 03:36 PM
Your allowed to wear uniforms with out rank on them for Parades, Honor Guards & Color Guards when a Member of the Marine Corps League. The Marine Corps League is a Offical Veterans Group of the Corps, that was started by General Lejuene. This is the Veterans that wear the red cover with the EGA and red Jackets. It is for Active Duty, Reserve, Retired, Former Marines of all Eras to get together and there can wear uniform parts for differant things.

Semper Fi

Once A Marine Always A Marine

echo3oscar1833
01-08-09, 03:41 PM
Ive moved my stuff, its located here in the Uniform Board Area:D

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=432169#post432169

CHOPPER7199
01-08-09, 03:55 PM
Oh Chit, Am I In Trouble? I Wear A Cammy Cover When I Put On My Amvets Jacket. All I Have Ever Heard Was, Thanks For Your Service. Besides, If Them Regulations As Spelled Out In Some Parts Were Kept True, Then Alot Of Programs Would Have Been Hurting. Like As Jag. Let Alone The Movies. Ex. A Few Good Men. Just An Old Grunts 2 Cents Worth.

MUSTANG0369
01-08-09, 03:55 PM
I think that you are several are missing the point.

Since when has "i have seen others do it, so it must be o.k." a valid tool to decision making.

You asked if you could wear a campaign cover in public, and I posted the letter of the law in the long post, copied and pasted from the marine corps uniform board.

And for the one that said go to the moving wall, I don't need to......... I live in DC and go the real wall at least once a quarter. And do I see stuff that violates the uniform rule there as well?.....absolutely......but I also am not asked when I see those men, "Excuse me, I was wondering if this is in regulation," A vietnam cover, union cover, or anything else not of my concern. I wouldnt say anything anyway out of the respect of the meat grinder that some of those brave men had to endure. However, it is against the regs......I have never seen uniform police in the civilian world aside from the FBI agents that bust bogus medal claims.

Do something tasteful, get a Marine Corps lapel pin, a bumper sticker, shirt, polo, or pen set. But a campaign cover, or any Marine Corps head dress, past or present when worn in anything but a complete uniform says to me one of three things.

(a) look at me I was/am a Marine
(b) I didnt take the time to look up the reg.
(c) I could care less about the reg.

People should know you are a Marine by your actions, not your costumes.

Semper Fi

MUSTANG0369
01-08-09, 03:58 PM
If you want to wear it, fvcking wear it, but dont ask a prior fvcking drill instructor if it is ok, if you dont wanna hear the G.D. answer. I am done with this fvcking one, I have lost brain cells reading some of these posts.

CHOPPER7199
01-08-09, 04:11 PM
Lt. Understood, But Its Not A Costume. You Can Go To Almost Any Supply Store And Buy A Cover. Just Like The Kids Go And Buy Chit And Wear Them. I Guess A Few Thousand Of Us Would Be On Deck For A Good Chewing Out As To-day For Doing Such Things. Sorry, But This Old Guy Is Still Going To Do It.

CHOPPER7199
01-08-09, 04:12 PM
Oooorah, Mustang.

yellowwing
01-08-09, 04:29 PM
Good ending!