PDA

View Full Version : 1371

cschultzy56
01-07-09, 06:25 PM
i'v gotten my job request for 1371 combat engineer, so i have a few questions for current or former combat engineers

1. what should I expect at MOS school?
2. what to expect after joining the fleet?
3. i'm not sold on it yet but im definately interested in recon, is that still available to combat engineers?
4. anything else someone may want to add

thanks for any help you can provide and i'm looking forward to serving my country alongside every one of you, and joining the ranks of all marines young and old

0231Marine
01-08-09, 07:17 AM
Do a search for the 4,372 other threads regarding combat engineers!

NoRemorse
01-08-09, 07:21 AM
There's also a capital M missing from your post, poolee.

SGTMCCANN
01-23-09, 08:27 PM
I am currently a Combat Engineer, on the joking side I would tell you to be ready to be the Marine Corps working party. But enough with the jokes. The Combat Engineer are most known for their deployments we build COPS, FOBS, we are used as security teams for Convoys. I myself was a Convoy Commander for an Engineer Company that was FOB Hopping as we would call it all around Al Anbar Province. We specialize in Bridging, Demolition, construction, and breaching. "We are death from below" Your MOS school is awesome, just be good at math to remember all your formulas. otherwise you may build something completly wrong or even worse, you may blow yourself or someone else up. Other than that the fleet is great, other than the salty Sergeants like myself. We all have been in for awhile and don't like boots until they prove themselves. You will have a blast, EOD and Engineers are step brothers, its a love hate relationship. actually kind of sometimey. Good Luck

Enigmatic
01-23-09, 09:01 PM
I am currently a Combat Engineer, on the joking side I would tell you to be ready to be the Marine Corps working party. But enough with the jokes. The Combat Engineer are most known for their deployments we build COPS, FOBS, we are used as security teams for Convoys. I myself was a Convoy Commander for an Engineer Company that was FOB Hopping as we would call it all around Al Anbar Province. We specialize in Bridging, Demolition, construction, and breaching. "We are death from below" Your MOS school is awesome, just be good at math to remember all your formulas. otherwise you may build something completly wrong or even worse, you may blow yourself or someone else up. Other than that the fleet is great, other than the salty Sergeants like myself. We all have been in for awhile and don't like boots until they prove themselves. You will have a blast, EOD and Engineers are step brothers, its a love hate relationship. actually kind of sometimey. Good Luck

Sgt, could you please fill out more of your profile and umm......your chevrons are missing some cross rifles....

Enigmatic
01-24-09, 02:17 AM
Damn it, now that the Sgt is squared away that last post makes me look stupid.

Petz
01-24-09, 02:29 AM

you forgot to mention the clearing of buildings when out and about with grunts... if not a complete replacement for them!

yeah, you will be tasked with that kinda stuff as well... you'll get good training.

for your recon question.... recon pulls from every MOS... it's a self-sustaining unit that thrives on having a vast MOS list... so yes you can be recon... just work twice as hard and be a PT stud.... if you can do a 300 PFT/CFT then you'll do fine.

SGTMCCANN
01-24-09, 04:48 PM
SSgt, is right. That goes along with Breaching. You will go to a urban Breachers Course to learn about the diffrent demo you should use to get in ahouse and clear it. As far as grunts....they have their job and we have ours.Only thing that comes to mind is we do carry more than them, and we do the same job if not better.

Petz
01-26-09, 01:58 AM
yeah... like the most popular "make me a door" command... you never want to go in through the front door (it's a kill zone), 'cause it could be booby-trapped so it's best to make yourself a new door into the building.... yeah!!!

jtbaron
03-07-09, 12:35 PM
might be a little late posting this, but I hit the fleet back in aug of 08 and I love being a division combat engineer! Im with 2nd CEB based at camp lejeune. I have friends that are now on the MEU and get to jump out of ofspreys and choppers and some that are just in line platoons. as for me I am now a route clearance engineer.

I just hearded from my platoon sargent and you can go to recon after 3 years in the fleet. recon needs engineers. engineering school is not tough. just stay out of trouble. you will get weekends off. you will like the engineering field. we have to learn it all, but I have heard that the wing and group suck.