PDA

View Full Version : Where you living now?

mcvet57103
01-07-09, 04:34 PM
I've noticed a fair amount of Marines who spend more than 4 years in service, when they leave the Corps tend to stay near their last duty station. Even when their old hometown is prettier country. Curious about why you decided to stay in say Jacksonville, NC when you were originally from say Jacksonville Florida as an example.

SgtArty
01-07-09, 05:19 PM
I've noticed a fair amount of Marines who spend more than 4 years in service, when they leave the Corps tend to stay near their last duty station. Even when their old hometown is prettier country. Curious about why you decided to stay in say Jacksonville, NC when you were originally from say Jacksonville Florida as an example.

That's a big negative on my part. I loved Two-Nine:), but home is where the heart is IMO. Came back home to Miami,Fl. Even though I think living out in the desert is a lot cheaper than living in Miami at this point.:evilgrin:

Jarhed87
01-07-09, 06:21 PM
Spent all my active duty in SoCal (Camp Pen), with the occasional Det. to Oki. & TAD on the USS Midway. After the Corps (1992), I moved back to Chicago. In 2007 I moved back to SoCal and work within a stone's throw of the old MCAS Tustin. You can't beat the SoCal weather! ;)

Twitchell
01-07-09, 06:41 PM
I was in Pendleton. I went straight back to Utah when I got out. I missed the country to much.

mcvet57103
01-07-09, 07:07 PM
I myself moved back to South Dakota, from Camp Lejeune, because my wife said she would move back without me if I didn't go. I wanted to live near the coast. Some where like Moorehead City, or Wilmington NC. South Dakota is a pretty boring state till you get West River. In hindsight I shoulda let the b-tch go. LOL One year after we moved back she started a fling with her boss. After the cost of the divorce I was to broke to move anywhere, and I had two daughters to think about.

nptwildcat
01-07-09, 07:15 PM
Left Camp Lejuene and went back to Kentucky. Like mcvet, the wife was going home with ot without me. 25 years later, still married to the same boss (27 years in July) and still living in the great state of KENTUCKY!

ecfree
01-07-09, 07:33 PM
Got married at Quantico,a few months later'out of Corps and back on Long Island.
Moved down here to South Carolina,between Parris Island and Camp Lejune.Its 15 years here now..
Gods Country....:D

SGT7477
01-07-09, 08:15 PM
After 29 Palms I went back to North Dakota, met my wife Dec. 75 before going to Okinawa got out June 77 married her Jan 22 78 and been together ever since.

sparkie
01-07-09, 08:22 PM
The Marines sent me to San Diego, after boot at P.I. Met my wife there, and stayed.

Now in Nevada, Monetary reasons but Never went back to my port of entry,,,,Ohio.

usmc0331
01-07-09, 10:36 PM
back home in Michigan here

Go Blue!!! I hope for 2009 lol

JAGarland
01-08-09, 09:15 AM

That would be a big negative for me also!! My last duty station was on Oki and I live in Florida!

KawiGunny
01-08-09, 09:21 AM
Spent all my active duty in SoCal (Camp Pen), with the occasional Det. to Oki. & TAD on the USS Midway. After the Corps (1992), I moved back to Chicago. In 2007 I moved back to SoCal and work within a stone's throw of the old MCAS Tustin. You can't beat the SoCal weather! ;)

Starting to show your age Jarhed. I was stationed in Yokouska when the Midway was still active.

KawiGunny
01-08-09, 09:26 AM
I am origionally from Arkansas. I met my wife (in Port Royal, S.C.) when I came back from being a Military Advisor to the Suadi Marines. She is from N.H., so when it got closer to me retireing in 2008 we decided we would stay in Virginia Beach. That way neither family can complain that we live closer to the others and we also have a great network of friends in the area. Great schools for the kids also made a huge contribution to us making our decission.

Artemis
01-08-09, 10:00 AM
I am originally from Michigan. Spent most of my time at MCAS New River in good ole Jacksonville NC. Did a little over a year in OKi. Found myself moving all the way out to good ole Northern California with my husband, so that we could be near his family.

Enigmatic
01-08-09, 03:33 PM
Originally from Illinois, in the Chicago 'burbs. First duty station was Oki, where I met my wife, another Marine. Then we headed off to Virginia for my last duty station. After we got out, headed back to Illinois. Spent a year there. The wife, being originally from Alaska, didn't like living so close to such a big city like Chicago. So we been bouncing back and forth and the deal is we're going to try Alaska for a while after I finish my next semester of school in Illinois. I'm currently freezing my grenades off in Eagle River, Alaska.....

candi
01-08-09, 07:47 PM
I am back in Connecticut, I would've liked to stay in SoCal, but it is even more expensive there than it is here! Besides, most of my family is here and I want my daughter to know them.