PDA

View Full Version : San Diego A.K.A Camp Pendelton

Cisco4711
01-07-09, 03:54 PM
Hello Marines. My father plans on purchasing me a car within the next three weeks. This car will serve me for the the next year or so and I also plan on taking it to base when I join the Marines. My father is saying that the base in San Diego is somewhat of a dessert climate and that I should really get a truck. He is making it sound as if its an off road or something similiar to that. Is this true?

Quinbo
01-07-09, 04:01 PM
If your father has the means to purchase you a vehicle (truck or car) then go for it. Keep it in Houston. It will be of no use to you in boot camp or MCT. You won't even be allowed to have it in those places. Camp Pendleton is not in San Diego but about 40 miles north of there. Yes it is mountainous but most of the roads are paved.

Pete0331
01-07-09, 04:04 PM
Hello Marines. My father plans on purchasing me a car within the next three weeks. This car will serve me for the the next year or so and I also plan on taking it to base when I join the Marines. My father is saying that the base in San Diego is somewhat of a dessert climate and that I should really get a truck. He is making it sound as if its an off road or something similiar to that. Is this true?

You cannot have a vehicle in your possession on base until after you are at your unit.

Camp Pendleton is between San Diego county and Orange county, right off the interstate. It is isolated, somewhat, but not out in the boonies by any means.

Either would be fine, just keep in mind that California gas prices are not kind to the wallet.

Cisco4711
01-07-09, 04:14 PM
If your father has the means to purchase you a vehicle (truck or car) then go for it. Keep it in Houston. It will be of no use to you in boot camp or MCT. You won't even be allowed to have it in those places. Camp Pendleton is not in San Diego but about 40 miles north of there. Yes it is mountainous but most of the roads are paved.
So when Marines have off-duty, how do they get to the places they wish to visit? Also, Pete you mentioned I can't have a vehicle until I get to my unit; how long does it take with all the schooling I will get to get to my unit and what are the chances of me being stationed at San Diego.

P.S- my schooling will most likely be SOI

sim37
01-07-09, 05:31 PM
You won't be off-duty at all at boot camp. SOI you may get the weekends but you still won't be allowed your vehicle. They have shuttles that you can take down to San Diego or Oceanside if you are allowed off base. How long until you get to your unit depends on your MOS. Different MOS's have different lengths of schooling.

Cisco4711
01-07-09, 05:42 PM
Well yea I knoy you don't have off-duty during boot camp.
I'm talkin about when i'm finally settled in and stuff...?

Quinbo
01-07-09, 05:44 PM
If you are marking your calendar and looking into the future and SOI is part of it plan on 6 months from the day you hit the yellow footprints till the day you report in to the fleet. Until then no car.

BR34
01-07-09, 05:49 PM
Well yea I knoy you don't have off-duty during boot camp.
I'm talkin about when i'm finally settled in and stuff...?

I can imagine what you're picturing. And I'll tell you, it's completely wrong! You don't HAVE TO HAVE a truck! It's not in a 3rd world country. You can get along fine with any registered vehicle.

Cisco4711
01-07-09, 06:31 PM
I can imagine what you're picturing. And I'll tell you, it's completely wrong! You don't HAVE TO HAVE a truck! It's not in a 3rd world country. You can get along fine with any registered vehicle.
hahaha that's funny, that's exactly how my father pictures it.
well now that that's out of the way, will I actually have a NEED for it? Considering that I will be alone and live on base, or off base if I have that option? You kno...and when i'm off probably hit the clubs or bars, etc....Marines got buses for all that?

biesseb
01-07-09, 09:53 PM
So when Marines have off-duty, how do they get to the places they wish to visit? Also, Pete you mentioned I can't have a vehicle until I get to my unit; how long does it take with all the schooling I will get to get to my unit and what are the chances of me being stationed at San Diego.

P.S- my schooling will most likely be SOI

Where you get stationed is really quite random. I'm not sure what your MOS is but we didn't find out where we'd be stationed untill the last two weeks of MOS School. Even then it was basically like drawing names out of a bucket. There are many more bases then Pendleton, for all you know you may get sent to Japan.

I'm for instance stationed at MCAS Miramar which is in Sandiego and seperate from Pedleton.

I wouldn't suggest not getting a vehicle but dont have your heart set on being stationed anywhere particiliar because the Marines will squash that idea quick.

0231Marine
01-08-09, 07:23 AM
I would wait until you know where you're going to be stationed at. Like biesseb said, you may end up going to Japan and in that case, you're going to have a car that you can't drive for the next 3 years at a minimum. If you get stationed anywhere in the states, then that's fine and then you can have your dad buy your car/truck.

I was stationed at Pendleton for 4 1/2 years and I bought my truck when I was on leave prior to checking in. The base there is beautiful and it doesn't matter if you have a truck or a car. If you decide not to get one, there are taxi's you can get or shuttles that run all the time and will take you into Oceanside, San Onefre or down to San Diego. I would really recommend having a vehicle though just so you're not paying out of pocket all the time just to go to the px.

Old Marine
01-08-09, 09:29 AM
Last time I checked, they do not let you bring your Privately Owned Conveyence to the Sand Box.

0231Marine
01-08-09, 12:06 PM
Huh?