PDA

View Full Version : Tour Volunteering w/o Infantry Training

GEOCO
01-07-09, 03:09 PM
I've attempted the Search function for this one, but my browsers aren't reading the security number.

My MOS is 06xx Communications. I've been told, this far, that I can look forward to MCT followed by 13 weeks of tech school at Twenty-Nine Palms. Would this make me ineligible for deployment in a combat zone?

I haven't been able to find a clear answer for this question. I'm not sure how different MCT is from Infantry school (can't remember the abbrev.) but until someone corrects me, I'm going to assume those sent through Infantry school are more prepared for a combat zone.

How does the USMC handle this?

Pete0331
01-07-09, 03:24 PM
I've attempted the Search function for this one, but my browsers aren't reading the security number.

My MOS is 06xx Communications. I've been told, this far, that I can look forward to MCT followed by 13 weeks of tech school at Twenty-Nine Palms. Would this make me ineligible for deployment in a combat zone?

I haven't been able to find a clear answer for this question. I'm not sure how different MCT is from Infantry school (can't remember the abbrev.) but until someone corrects me, I'm going to assume those sent through Infantry school are more prepared for a combat zone.

As an 06XX you have the possibility of being assigned to a combat arms unit. There are comm guys everywhere.

ITB is an MOS school, students are taught skills to preform their job, you will be taught skill needed for the Comm MOS at your MOS school.

Quinbo
01-07-09, 03:31 PM
E4-B up. Just kidding
Comm guys follow the grunts where ever they go. You could easilly be part of a H&S company in an infantry battalion and doing everything they do. Battery powered grunt. On the other hand you could end up in some generals office pulling classified messages and fetching coffee. You'll be on your 3rd set of charlies and 4th set of chorfams but your cammies will look brand new. You never know. You can request to be attached to a ground unit... artillary, infantry, tanks, tracks.

GEOCO
01-07-09, 03:56 PM
E4-B up. Just kidding
Comm guys follow the grunts where ever they go. You could easilly be part of a H&S company in an infantry battalion and doing everything they do. Battery powered grunt. On the other hand you could end up in some generals office pulling classified messages and fetching coffee. You'll be on your 3rd set of charlies and 4th set of chorfams but your cammies will look brand new. You never know. You can request to be attached to a ground unit... artillary, infantry, tanks, tracks.

Great answer, thank you very much. Comm guys in an infantry unit, are they sent through more combat training, or should MCT cover everything they'll need to keep up with the infantry units?

Pete0331
01-07-09, 04:00 PM
Great answer, thank you very much. Comm guys in an infantry unit, are they sent through more combat training, or should MCT cover everything they'll need to keep up with the infantry units?

MCT covers the very basics. If you get to a combat arms unit you will have range time with the grunts to become proficient at infantry skills.

GEOCO
01-07-09, 04:03 PM
MCT covers the very basics. If you get to a combat arms unit you will have range time with the grunts to become proficient at infantry skills.

Thanks Pete, this helps clear up any misunderstandings. I look forward to earning the Title beginning this Monday.

Pete0331
01-07-09, 04:06 PM
Thanks Pete, this helps clear up any misunderstandings. I look forward to earning the Title beginning this Monday.

No problem, now go PT.

Enigmatic
01-08-09, 04:18 PM

ANY MOS CAN BE DEPLOYED TO A COMBAT ZONE....so any poolees out there thinking being in Admin, for example, will keep you off a deployment...you're wrong. I was Admin, and all it would've taken was me being being sent orders to a Victor unit, or reqeusting them, which I kinda wish I'd done....

GEOCO
01-08-09, 04:45 PM
ANY MOS CAN BE DEPLOYED TO A COMBAT ZONE....so any poolees out there thinking being in Admin, for example, will keep you off a deployment...you're wrong. I was Admin, and all it would've taken was me being being sent orders to a Victor unit, or reqeusting them, which I kinda wish I'd done....

Basic rifleman before all, I understand.

I wasn't sure if there was a difference though in training requirements for say, being deployed to an actual red zone, or simply applying your occupation on the outskirts of the red zone.

rvillac2
01-08-09, 04:54 PM
Thanks Pete,
Wow, already drinking buddies.

GEOCO
01-08-09, 05:00 PM

If and when I earn the Title, at least I'll bring an advanced level of drinking with my newly fitted Dress Blues.

Isrowei
01-08-09, 08:13 PM
If and when I earn the Title, at least I'll bring an advanced level of drinking with my newly fitted Dress Blues.

What he meant was that when speaking to a senior enlisted Marine, address them by rank. When addressing officers, use "Sir".

Frankly, no one cares how much you can or can't drink. Save the tough guy stories for your hometown girlfriends.

Enigmatic
01-08-09, 08:36 PM
What he meant was that when speaking to a senior enlisted Marine, address them by rank. When addressing officers, use "Sir".

Frankly, no one cares how much you can or can't drink. Save the tough guy stories for your hometown girlfriends.

Well put, sir!

See how easy it is, Geoco? Now say "Yes, Cpl"....

commdog7
01-08-09, 09:28 PM
Regardless of you mos, all Marines have an opportunity to deploy. If you do get stationed in a non-deployable unit, you can request the argumentation cell option (hopefully I spelled that right), which is basically a volunteer-for-war option. All Marines into the fight.

PS The Marines are right, no one cares how much you can or cannot drink. If you are underage, don't even think about drinking. Alcohol can get you in some serious trouble.

GEOCO
01-08-09, 09:48 PM
Regardless of you mos, all Marines have an opportunity to deploy. If you do get stationed in a non-deployable unit, you can request the argumentation cell option (hopefully I spelled that right), which is basically a volunteer-for-war option. All Marines into the fight.

PS The Marines are right, no one cares how much you can or cannot drink. If you are underage, don't even think about drinking. Alcohol can get you in some serious trouble.

I'll keep it to topic, but I wasn't boasting.

I was looking to find out if more training beyond MCT was required for MOS that didn't go to Infantry School in order to be deployed to a combat zone (rather than deployed, but OUTSIDE of a combat zone). Thanks for the answers.

commdog7
01-08-09, 10:15 PM
It is based on your unit. Some units will do advanced training based on its mission (such as a field exercise). There is no formal school you have to go through prior to shipping off to combat, MCT is the end of the line.

Gunner 0313
01-08-09, 10:17 PM

:flag:Exactly. Glad someone already tried to Unfuc k the situation. Something tells me it didn't work though. Kid like I told you in the other thread, loose the "Billy BadAss" attitude before you get to boot.

Now shake your head up and down and keep that hole in your face shut.

commdog7
01-08-09, 10:32 PM
It is based on your unit. Some units will do advanced training based on its mission (such as a field exercise). There is no formal school you have to go through prior to shipping off to combat, MCT is the end of the line.