View Full Version : Local Marine gives insight into military service

thedrifter
01-07-09, 09:22 AM
Hudsonhubtimes.com
Local Marine gives insight into military service
6 hours ago

by Tim Troglen

Reporter

Hudson -- Marine Lance Cpl. Colin Signs, who is serving somewhere in Afghanistan, was featured in the Hudson Hub-Times Dec. 28.

Signs' father, Steve, of Hudson and sister, Katalin, were interviewed, but, because of the 22-year-old's job, he was not able to comment for the story before press time.

However, Signs was able to respond Dec. 31.

Here are his answers as he explained his job, mission and what he misses most about Hudson.

Can you give us a brief description of your job?

"My job is a forward observer for the United States Marine Corps. My mission is to call for fire on the enemy, I also work with a fire support team which involves arty, mortars, fixed and rotary wing."

What's it like being in a combat zone?

"Life in a combat zone is a very strict lifestyle, always on an alert, and not becoming complacent."

How are the people you are working with, including the Afghanis?

"The men I work with and trust my life with are the best. I'm fortunate to have joined and become a member of the most elite fighting force. The Afghan nationals live a much different lifestyle from the Americans. Besides the difference of lifestyles, the men and women live everyday to the fullest, and the children love that we are there for them."

Why did you join the Marines?

"I love challenges in life, they make my mind and body stronger. I knew the Marine Corps would be a positive change in my life."

What do you miss most about Hudson?

"What I miss most about Hudson is the atmosphere, and the winter time when the snow flakes fall down and our town changes into a winter wonder land. I also miss the mouse on the Clocktower."

How did you and the men and women spend Christmas?

"We spent it with the Sergeant Major of the Marine Corps and the Commandant. It was a moral booster."

What do you want the folks in Hudson to know about what you are doing?

"I just want them to know that myself and my fellow Marines and Sailors are risking our lives to make a positive difference in this world, and we thank you for your support. We really do!"

Anything else you want to add or say to your family?

"Just want to say I love my wife, my family-in-law, my mother, father and sisters, And most of all I miss my puppies."

E-mail: ttroglen@recordpub.com

Phone: 330-688-0088 ext. 3146

Ellie