PDA

View Full Version : Benefits for the spouse of a dying Marine?

pob278
01-06-09, 02:57 PM
My father, who served stateside during the Vietnam War has recently been admitted to a hospice for his final days. My stepmother (his second wife) and I were wondering if she is eligible for any benefits as a result of his years of service. Any information or direction that you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

richerich
01-06-09, 03:25 PM
Sorry to hear:

http://www.vba.va.gov/survivors/index.htm

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pgm/links_survivor.htm

hrscowboy
01-06-09, 03:27 PM
what about your real mother?? and fill out your profile before any Marine answers anything

pob278
01-06-09, 03:40 PM
Wow, that was quick. Thank you for your prompt response to this request. And, no concern about the birth mother -- she has been out of the picture for decades.

Maldonado 2060
01-06-09, 03:44 PM
Now that you have your answers you can work on that profile.

pob278
01-06-09, 03:48 PM
LOL, will do. Just found this site this afternoon while researching options.

Phantom Blooper
01-06-09, 06:15 PM
Your birth mother can possibly be a concern if she is still living....she can draw widows pension from Social Security on your father if she knows that he has met his demise.

She could also be entitled to other benefits depending on how long they were married when he was in the service.

Your best bet besides the URLs listed would be to see a service officer for the Veterans Affairs in the county you/she resides.....normally located around the county seats courthouse.

Or if your father is a member and even if he is not a service officer for the Disabled American Veterans,Veterans of Foreign Wars or the American Legion to name a few organizations will discuss options and possibly do the paperwork or point you in the right direction.

Is he drawing any disability or pension from the Veterans Administration? If so and you have his VA File # which is located in the right hand corner of any correspondence from the VA you can call 1-800-827-1000 and speak to a representative with your concerns!:evilgrin:

SGT7477
01-06-09, 06:17 PM
It won't be alot that's for sure.

JohnEaceHunt
01-06-09, 09:55 PM
Think you will be surprised. It will be somewhere between $1200.00, and $1400.00 a month just in Widows Pension. There could be more benifits as well. Best check it out everyone.

JohnEaceHunt
01-06-09, 10:09 PM
I had also meant to mention that its not from social security, its from the VA, if the Husband was recieving a disability compensation from them. It depends how much of S.C. percentage the Husband was recieving from them, on how much she will get.