PDA

View Full Version : Smoking at Boot

rmreynolds
01-06-09, 02:08 PM
I just watched some movie which had Marine recruits sitting in front of their DI at the end of boot camp and before he shared some wisdom he gave permission to 'burn one' which lead to a few recruits breaking out a pack of smokes. The setting was in the 80's so I understand if that is outdated but it seems like smoking wouldn't be allowed. Correct if I'm wrong, are recruits allowed to smoke at PI or SD training?

Enigmatic
01-06-09, 02:16 PM
I just watched some movie which had Marine recruits sitting in front of their DI at the end of boot camp and before he shared some wisdom he gave permission to 'burn one' which lead to a few recruits breaking out a pack of smokes. The setting was in the 80's so I understand if that is outdated but it seems like smoking wouldn't be allowed. Correct if I'm wrong, are recruits allowed to smoke at PI or SD training?

You're wrong.

The older Marines could tell you about how it was back in the day. But this is now.

commdog7
01-06-09, 02:35 PM
No smoking, period. If you are a smoker before going to boot, you should have broken the habit by the time you graduate. My advice, once you graduate, don't start up again. Smoking is disgusting and it only leads to more problems.

oifvet23
01-06-09, 03:14 PM
yea I tried to keep from smoking when I got out of bootcamp but beforeIi knew it I was smoking and chewing at the same time, from dawn till dusk. I actually quit smoking and dipping on my last day in the Corps, had my last dip rolling thru the gate.

commdog7
01-06-09, 03:19 PM
yea I tried to keep from smoking when I got out of bootcamp but beforeIi knew it I was smoking and chewing at the same time, from dawn till dusk. I actually quit smoking and dipping on my last day in the Corps, had my last dip rolling thru the gate.

That minds me of a time in Iraq. There were a few Marine in my unit who dipped, they would spit the sh!t in a coke can. I clearly recall my SSgt grabbing the wrong coke can to take a drink and immediately spitting the sh!t out. Needless to say, that was hilarious. Turns out it was a Cpl using that can for dip, he got his @ss chewed pretty good.

sim37
01-06-09, 03:31 PM
No smoking. You're Drill Instructors could always put a few smokes on the drinking fountain and say try it Fu*&ers (but you won't, oh you won't).

rmreynolds
01-06-09, 11:33 PM
ok good, because even though I love the smell of the smoke, I don't want anybody keeping my team/squad/platoon/the Corps down because they are weezing half-way through the IST.

On a side note, one of the recruiters at my station is a chain smoker and can run a marathon like no other, but who knows what he could do if he didn't

biesseb
01-07-09, 12:25 AM
Up until I got out of boot I never once smoked and then I picked it up in the fleet. Bad habit and I've since quit. It seems like everyone smokes in the Corps. It's very much a social thing because everyone wants to hang out at the smoke pit and b.s.

slider1578
01-07-09, 12:36 AM
In general, no smoking in boot. There was this one time were one of the range instructors gave a few recruits a smoke before an exercise with no DIs around. Even then, they got caught because the DI smelled it on them and made their lives miserable. I smoke now, quit numerous times, recently relapsed back to it. God I hate it, Start the patches again next week. Quit now while your ahead.

Pete0331
01-07-09, 12:56 AM

"Stateside" is a horrible movie.

SlingerDun
01-07-09, 04:46 AM
The setting was in the 80's....Don't recall buying cigarettes but it must have happened on our first or second trip to the PX. Some guys had a pack sent via U.S. mail. They were all confiscated and stored in the duty hut and lasted.

I didn't have cigarettes delivered so i must have been bumming off other recruits when the duty D.I. called 'smokers on the 1/4 deck' after 2100, we would scramble up to the duty hut hatch where Mr. Secretary would dole out one cancer stick per each, maybe it was your brand maybe not.

Smokers double timed outside to the wash racks and formed two columns facing inboard while one guy held a garbage can lid ashtray inverted and walked the middle ceremoniously. Step, pause, step, pause etc.. about face etc. "Cut it short" was the command that came from the window above what seemed like after only a few puffs.

We smoked maybe 7 times and there was usually about a dozen of us. It was about 3 weeks into it before we got out first smoke. When we travelled north for the rifle range, mess duty and ITS the tobacco seemed to have disappeared, maybe it stayed at Diego. A savvy PMI wouldn't want us smoking anyway but at MCRD there might have been some kinda rule to allow us smoke now and again because if the D.I.s had it their way i think they would have cold turkey'd us for the duration
I just watched some movie which had Marine recruits sitting in front of their DI at the end of boot camp and before he shared some wisdom he gave permission to 'burn one' which lead to a few recruits breaking out a pack of smokesI once eyeballed third phase recruits from another battalion produce cigarettes from their trouser cargo pockets and stood their smoking in loose formation after chow while waiting for their DI to appear. Thought that was pretty cool and something to look forward too but it never happened in my series.

D.I.'s smoked in the duty hut, wasn't no big deal. During 3rd phase i recieved a 3 or 4 pack of White Owl stogies from sweetie, when they called 'smokers on the 1/4 deck' i tried to secure one but the hats were smoking themhttp://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/icons/icon8.gif

We didn't smoke often enough in boot camp to produce any weezers or hackers, that came later.

I quit the tobacco 2 months ago after 20 plus years of steady usage. It ain't no fvcking good dippers and smokers, let it go.

--->Dave

BR34
01-07-09, 06:24 AM

I read this thread yesterday when I got home. I hopped in the shower, sat down in my recliner and started flipping through channels. I found a Marine movie that I had never seen or heard of before and decided to check it out. Then I see a scene described exactly as you have and realized I was watching the same movie you asked about.

But let me say, there are some serious flaws with a lot of stuff in that movie. They didn't do their homework in a lot of areas. It's weird though, cause they also got a lot of stuff right, like how the guy's orders looked.

silverdollar
01-07-09, 06:58 AM
I read this thread yesterday when I got home. I hopped in the shower, sat down in my recliner and started flipping through channels. I found a Marine movie that I had never seen or heard of before and decided to check it out. Then I see a scene described exactly as you have and realized I was watching the same movie you asked about.

But let me say, there are some serious flaws with a lot of stuff in that movie. They didn't do their homework in a lot of areas. It's weird though, cause they also got a lot of stuff right, like how the guy's orders looked.

Why is your recliner in your shower?:D

thewookie
01-07-09, 07:04 AM
They still do it - it's called smokin and jokin with your DI's.....

0231Marine
01-07-09, 07:13 AM
Yeah, because that happens a lot :)

The only smoking that gets done in bootcamp now is your a** being smoked on the quarterdeck or in the pit. Light'em up boys!