PDA

View Full Version : Today ~ 35 years ago

Sparrowhawk
06-13-03, 06:49 AM
This part of my dairy, this day, nothing really unusual for us, but this small part of my diary is embedded so very much in my mind that I dream of it often.

"We got snipped near the CAC units bridge"

I recall seeing the little puffs of smoke in the far tree line. Bullets being fired at us, sensing the weakness of the bullets velocity as they passed overhead.

The small little images of the enemy moving out, far away from us, running along the tree line and with my m-60 over my shoulder we just kept moving on, indifferent to the incoming rounds.

We just kept walking, moving along moving toward the bridge, we never bothered to stop, to look at the gooks in the far distance, or to return fire, the lieutenant just kept us moving on as bullets raced overhead.

I stopped and looked at the gooks then moved on, feeling invincible knowing that even if the bullets struck me from that distance, they wouldn't do any harm. Every so often I remember this day and I dream it as I mention here.

The little gooks moving to hide behind rocks and bushes and firing at us and knowing they can't hurt me even if they hit me, we moved on.

Semper Fi

Cook

firstsgtmike
06-13-03, 08:24 AM
I had images and dreams before I went to Vietnam. For no logical reason, I held myself to be invincible. No John Wayne or Rambo, but I dreampt of being out on patrol, and the only one to return unscathed.

No reason, no heroics, it just WAS.

I took this attitude with me to Vietnam, and acted accordingly.

Some of my activities and exposures would shock anyone who had any common sense.

But in my heart of hearts, the thing I feared most, was that I would be nicked, a scratch from barbed wire, a drop of blood, a sign that my cloak of invincability had been penetrated. I was afraid that I might change from Mighty Mouse into Chicken Little.

No blood, and John Wayne returned home safely.

What could have been scares me more than what was.

The worst thing that could happen on someone's first visit to Las Vegas is that they hit the jackpot on a nickel slot machine as they are going out the door to return home.

They will be back. And they will lose.

My attitude made me a walking target. I'm glad I never had to go back.