PDA

View Full Version : Rochester-area Marines get a rousing send-off

thedrifter
01-06-09, 06:15 AM
January 5, 2009

Rochester-area Marines get a rousing send-off

Ernst Lamothe Jr.
Staff writer

CHILI — More than 250 people gave two platoons of Marines eventually headed to Iraq a roaring send-off today at the Naval Operations Support Center, 439 Paul Road.

About 74 Marines from Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse who belong to a unit located in Chili were activated last month and will report for duty very early in the morning.

The Marines will leave at 3 a.m. from the Greater Rochester International Airport.

Joined by military police companies from Minnesota and North Dakota, the Marines’ next assignment involves traveling to California for training and then a March trip to Iraq in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom.

The unit will be activated for about 12 months as military responsibility is slowly being transferred from U.S. forces to Iraqi armed forces to help secure Al Anbar, the largest province in Iraq, near the Syrian border.

“This is one of the reasons why I got into the military in the first place,” said Demetrius Simmons, 19, of Rochester. “It’s been hard for my family but I wanted to serve my country and I am excited about getting over there.”

ELAMOTHE@DemocratandChronicle.com

Ellie

thedrifter
01-06-09, 06:31 AM
January 6, 2009

Chili-based Marine Reserve unit heads to California for training

Ernst Lamothe Jr.
Staff writer

CHILI — Adam Bacon joined the military a year-and-half ago because he wanted to find a true purpose in life and make a recognizable difference in the world. He will get his opportunity to complete those missions overseas as part of a Marine unit headed to Iraq later this year.

More than 250 people gave the Marine reservists a boisterous send-off Monday evening at the Naval Operations Support Center in Chili. The unit was preparing to leave early this morning from the Greater Rochester International Airport.

Joined by military police companies from Minnesota and North Dakota, the 74 Marines from Rochester, Buffalo and Syracuse will arrive in California and train for several months before traveling to the Middle East in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom. As military responsibility is slowly being transferred from U.S. to Iraqi forces, the unit will help secure Al Anbar, the largest province in Iraq, located near the Syrian border.

Bacon has known about his deployment since August. He said the easiest part was getting mentally ready for his new adventure, while the toughest moments surrounded emotional conversations with his family and best friend, Chelsea Decargelis.

"It's been incredibly tough knowing that family will be so far away and not knowing the exact time that I will be back home," said Bacon, 19, of Rochester. "But this is why I joined the Marines and I'm excited about the opportunity to take on a new challenge."

First Sgt. Paul Singer, who is making his third tour to Iraq since 2005, said that although the deployment ceremony was difficult for families, he saw a strong sense of community that many can lean on.

"You see this hall is full of family, and every Marine doesn't just have one person they are hugging now but three or four family members giving them support," he said.

Eula Simmons spent Monday hugging, holding, kissing and soaking up as much time as possible with her son, Demetrius, 19, before his first tour overseas. She said she expects a text message from him as soon as he lands in California.

"It doesn't get any easier seeing my son leave for so long and as a mother, of course, you are fearful," she said. "But this is something he wants to do and I am proud of everything the troops are doing for us. We'll be OK here."

ELAMOTHE@DemocratandChronicle.com

Ellie