PDA

View Full Version : Eod?

Drill for life
01-05-09, 07:17 PM
I have a rough concept of EOD, I really want to get a UZ enlistment option and eventually be 0321 but I ahve always been interested in EOD. I know I have to earn the title first but I was wondering if my recruiter could help me get into a EOD enlistment program.

Zulu 36
01-05-09, 07:24 PM
I think EOD is a lateral move.

thewookie
01-05-09, 07:26 PM
I know I have to earn the title first

Why is that statement so hard for you to focus on?

EOD isn't available to boots, means you ain't sniffing it until you're on your second contract.

0231Marine
01-06-09, 07:06 AM
Also, if you lat move to EOD after your initial MOS, you're probably not going to be able to move to 0321 later on either. EOD is such a critical MOS that they're not going to let anyone lat move again out of it.

Zulu 36
01-06-09, 07:18 AM
Also, if you lat move to EOD after your initial MOS, you're probably not going to be able to move to 0321 later on either. EOD is such a critical MOS that they're not going to let anyone lat move again out of it.

Unless you lose too many fingers. :marine:

0231Marine
01-06-09, 07:25 AM
Good luck going 0321 if you lost to many fingers to be EOD. Say hello to Admin!

kaboom1371
01-06-09, 07:53 AM
EOD is very hard to get into. I thought about trying to get in long time ago. Decided to go civilian instead. lol here's a little info I quickly found on the net.

Not every Marine is automatically eligible to laterally move into the job of EOD technician. Movers must be corporals or sergeants with general technical scores of 110 or higher. Those eligible must be willing to extend or re-enlist to have 36 months of obligated service once they enter EOD school, be at least 21 years old and eligible for a security clearance.
They must also be interviewed by an EOD officer or staff non-commissioned officer, have normal color vision and no “claustrophobic tendencies,” Rudd said. Finally, EOD candidates must be U.S. citizens and have no mention of prior drug use in their military records.
“Personality plays a pretty big role,” Rudd said. “If the attitude and personality don’t fit, they’re not going to make it.”
Since the latest bonuses were announced, only two to three Marines have been interviewed at the air station’s EOD office. So far, no one has made the cut.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-06-09, 08:10 AM
I did the interview for both EOD and CI back in 00 (because I despised being a Field Radio Operator LOL). EOD would have happily taken my butt, but the wife was an adamant "Not only NO, but hell f*ck NO do I want you out there 'findin mines'".

It's an interesting and cool MOS, but unless you are on your second enlistment, AND an EOD tech (NOT a career jammer) approves you, it's not even something to consider at this point in your life. Same goes for CI.

Concentrate on being the best Marine, and the best whatever-it-is-your-MOS-is, you can be at this point, and worry about the other stuff later.

PaidinBlood
01-06-09, 08:14 AM
EOD is very hard to get into. I thought about trying to get in long time ago. Decided to go civilian instead. lol here's a little info I quickly found on the net.

Not every Marine is automatically eligible to laterally move into the job of EOD technician. Movers must be corporals or sergeants with general technical scores of 110 or higher. Those eligible must be willing to extend or re-enlist to have 36 months of obligated service once they enter EOD school, be at least 21 years old and eligible for a security clearance.
They must also be interviewed by an EOD officer or staff non-commissioned officer, have normal color vision and no “claustrophobic tendencies,” Rudd said. Finally, EOD candidates must be U.S. citizens and have no mention of prior drug use in their military records.
“Personality plays a pretty big role,” Rudd said. “If the attitude and personality don’t fit, they’re not going to make it.”
Since the latest bonuses were announced, only two to three Marines have been interviewed at the air station’s EOD office. So far, no one has made the cut.

Two Marines I know who applied to go over there were also told they needed to be PME current. They both were, but that is not always so easy with the deployment schedules we had. Things will be different by the time you make it to the fleet, just my little input...

thewookie
01-06-09, 08:38 AM
They're not going to take any slackers, that is fore sure.

Time for a little story....

A good friend of mine, Blake Pospisil, his last duty station before going to EOD was at MCSF Training Center, he was actually my Instructor for CQB school, and then I bird dogged under him for a course before I earned the leather name tag for my assault suit.

Blake was amazing, a masterful tactician with a mind like no other and the best pistol and/ or sub-gun shooter I have ever seen,,, besides Bill Rogers. And I have seen some of the best. Any way, Blake left us and was doing the EOD thing just chillin over on Iwo Jima looking for human/bomb remains when 9/11 hit.

With almost 18 years in you'd think Blake would be happy with the R.O.A.D. program, yet Blake, still volunteered to go to Iraq a few times, but each time he was was rejected. Then in 1994 he got his wishes, they PCSed him to Iraq for a one year tour.

In December of 2005, with 18+ years served in the Marine Corps, after having been in Iraq and successfully detonated over 70+ landmines/IEDs, with only two months left on his tour, Blake got a call for a IED by the side of the road in Ramadi. Three days before Christmas.

Apparently, there was some chicken sheet, punk azz, limp d*ck, rag headed mother-focker that was watching Blake walk up on the IED - which turns out to have been a rigged 120mm shell. Any way, as Blake was approaching the IED, in full gear, with a smile of confidence on his mug,,, that punk ass raghead pushed a button, or flicked a switch, or made a call. Whatever he did, he detonated that IED and my good friend Blake isn't with us today because of it.

Blake was and will always be a true leader, paving the way for thousands of other Marines and other service members to do their job.

RIP SSgt. Blake Pospisil. Semper Fi Marine. You are my hero.

NoRemorse
01-06-09, 08:44 AM
Semper Fi, Marine. Just goes to show that when death smiles at us we DO smile back. :flag:

PaidinBlood
01-06-09, 08:46 AM
That's a hilarious line until death actually smiles at you.

PaidinBlood
01-06-09, 08:52 AM
Semper Fi, Sgt. Marines are as faithful to the fallen as to the living. In the end, it is only through our memories that they live on. When the honor guard goes home and the folded flag is stowed away in some dusty closet, we remember their sacrifices and refuse to let them become mere statistics.

oifvet23
01-06-09, 09:33 AM
DRILL FOR LIFE... SHUT THE HELL UP...Im so tired of your dumb questions go ask your recruiter.. worry about signing ON THE DOTTED LINE... always the dumb question about almost impossible jobs... try being a MARINE FIRST.. we shouldn't even be wasting our time answering WANNABEE questions

KawiGunny
01-06-09, 09:53 AM
DRILL FOR LIFE... SHUT THE HELL UP...Im so tired of your dumb questions go ask your recruiter.. worry about signing ON THE DOTTED LINE... always the dumb question about almost impossible jobs... try being a MARINE FIRST.. we shouldn't even be wasting our time answering WANNABEE questions

I agree....... and I disagree.

He does always ask questions that he has no need to be worring about since he hasn't even earned the name yet.

However..... we, Marines, should be more of "mentors" to the "wannabee's" and help prepare them mentally for joining our Corps. At least they won't be coming in uninformed about what to expect like some of us did years ago.

Patience my brother. This to shall pass.

KawiGunny
01-06-09, 09:58 AM
Drill for life............... looks to me like you really need to sit down with your recruiter and have a talk. He should have all the info on what you are entitled to sign-up for or how to go about getting there. Once you have exhausted all of your "avenues of approach' with him, then post your questions here for the experienced Marines to help you out.

yellowwing
01-06-09, 10:11 AM
Drill for life............... looks to me like you really need to sit down with your recruiter and have a talk. He should have all the info on what you are entitled to sign-up for or how to go about getting there. Once you have exhausted all of your "avenues of approach' with him, then post your questions here for the experienced Marines to help you out.

Good ending Gunny!