01-05-09, 10:27 AM
Unclassified//
Almar 052/08
MSGID/GenAdmin/CMC Washington DC CMC//
Subj/Customs and Traditions//
Ref/a/desc:doc/cmc Washington DC/05May2003// AMPN/ref a is MCO
p5060.20, Marine corps drill and ceremonies manual.//

Gentext/remarks/

1. This Almar reinforces the importance of our customs and traditions and amplifies the provisions of the reference for Rendering salutes and honors to the national flag; the proper conduct of the Marine corps birthday cake cutting ceremony; and The playing of the Marines' hymn.

2. Customs and traditions provide a link to the past; they bond Marines who have gone before with Marines who will carry the Torch through the future. Any loss of tradition or improper observation of custom blurs our identity and weakens us as an Institution. Through the faithful adherence by commanders and each individual Marine, we preserve our identity and reputation As a unique and elite fighting organization.

3. Saluting. A recent change to the law has authorized active duty and retired service members to salute the national Colors, whether covered or uncovered, indoors or out. By custom and tradition, Marines do not render the hand salute when Out of uniform or when uncovered. Let there be no confusion; that has not changed. During the playing of the national Anthem, or the raising, lowering, or passing of the national flag, Marines will continue to follow naval traditions and the Policy / procedures contained in reference (a). Specifically, Marines not in uniform will face the flag, stand at attention, And place the right hand over the heart. If covered, Marines not in uniform will remove their headgear with the right hand And place their right hand over their heart. When the flag is not present, Marines will act in the same manner while facing In the direction of the music. In cases such as indoor ceremonies, when Marines are in uniform and uncovered, they will face The flag, or the direction of the music when the flag is not present, and stand at attention.

4. The Marine corps birthday cake cutting ceremony. The Marine corps birthday cake cutting ceremony is one of our Time-honored traditions in garrison, in the field, and in combat. One of the most important elements of the ceremony is the Traditional recognition of the oldest and youngest Marines present. To clarify the language in reference (a), the commander Cuts the cake and hands the first piece to the guest of honor. Then the commander hands the second piece of cake to the Oldest Marine present as a sign of honor and respect to experience and seniority. After taking a bite, the oldest Marine Passes the second piece of cake, and a clean fork, directly to the youngest Marine present; this action symbolizes the Passing of wisdom, knowledge, and experience, as well as trust and confidence in those who will continue to carry on our Marine corps traditions.

5. Playing of the Marines' hymn. The Marines' hymn is the official hymn of the Marine corps. It is the song of praise to Our institution and the lyrics are a direct tribute to our warfighting culture. By custom and tradition, the Marines' hymn Is the last song played at ceremonies and gatherings of Marines. Although the reference allows for the playing of special Music requests before the Marines' hymn, such as "anchor's aweigh," this is by exception and at the discretion of the local Commander.

6. One of our hallmarks as Marines is that we are as good on parade as we are in the attack. Our sharp appearance - in and Out of uniform - and our success in battle are two important parts of our identity. We take pride in our traditions, and Their uniform application, wherever Marines are assigned.

7. Semper fidelis,

James t. Conway,
General, U.S. Marine Corps,
Commandant of the Marine Corps.

Gunner 0313
01-05-09, 12:54 PM
:flag: Got the ALMAR in my e-mail awhile back and I was like WTF, isn't that common sense ? There's nothing more jacked up than seeing some idiot saluting without a cover or civilian doing the same.

ggyoung
01-05-09, 05:09 PM
:flag: Got the ALMAR in my e-mail awhile back and I was like WTF, isn't that common sense ? There's nothing more jacked up than seeing some idiot saluting without a cover or civilian doing the same.

.Congress past last year a law were a veteran can and may give a good Sault to the flag, the pledge of allegiance and the Star Spangled Banner. I had a uncle who was a WW2 and Korea Marine who would always salute. If you were to tell him he was as you say "jacked up" you would have to walk the rest of your life with you head up your ass so far you would have your d--- sticking out of your mouth.

sparkie
01-05-09, 05:34 PM
When standing on your principles, try not to place your feet on anothers head,,,,,,,

If I feel A salute coming on, I just might,,,,,,,,,, Personal,,, Emotional,,,,,Practical,,,, It don't always come outta the same book.

Quote by Sparkie.

Gunner 0313
01-05-09, 06:59 PM
.Congress past last year a law were a veteran can and may give a good Sault to the flag, the pledge of allegiance and the Star Spangled Banner.

:flag: Roger that but I guess you neglected to read this.

Saluting. A recent change to the law has authorized active duty and retired service members to salute the national Colors, whether covered or uncovered, indoors or out. By custom and tradition, Marines do not render the hand salute when Out of uniform or when uncovered. Let there be no confusion; that has not changed. During the playing of the national Anthem, or the raising, lowering, or passing of the national flag, Marines will continue to follow naval traditions and the Policy / procedures contained in reference (a). Specifically, Marines not in uniform will face the flag, stand at attention, And place the right hand over the heart. If covered, Marines not in uniform will remove their headgear with the right hand And place their right hand over their heart. When the flag is not present, Marines will act in the same manner while facing In the direction of the music. In cases such as indoor ceremonies, when Marines are in uniform and uncovered, they will face The flag, or the direction of the music when the flag is not present, and stand at attention.

ggyoung
01-05-09, 07:18 PM
:flag: Roger that but I guess you neglected to read this.

Saluting. A recent change to the law has authorized active duty and retired service members to salute the national Colors, whether covered or uncovered, indoors or out. By custom and tradition, Marines do not render the hand salute when Out of uniform or when uncovered. Let there be no confusion; that has not changed. During the playing of the national Anthem, or the raising, lowering, or passing of the national flag, Marines will continue to follow naval traditions and the Policy / procedures contained in reference (a). Specifically, Marines not in uniform will face the flag, stand at attention, And place the right hand over the heart. If covered, Marines not in uniform will remove their headgear with the right hand And place their right hand over their heart. When the flag is not present, Marines will act in the same manner while facing In the direction of the music. In cases such as indoor ceremonies, when Marines are in uniform and uncovered, they will face The flag, or the direction of the music when the flag is not present, and stand at attention.
Gunner 0313=======Like I said them old Marines have earned the right to salute anytime anyway they want. I read a couple years ago on the Khe Sanh Veterans site that a lot of them guys were going to start saluting the colors if they had on a veteran cap, hat or cover. They felt as they had earned that right. I think they have. I mean no disrespect to anyone here. But let the old vets do what they want. They have earned the right to do so. Remember someday you will be old.

mcvet57103
01-05-09, 07:41 PM
Gunner 0313=======Like I said them old Marines have earned the right to salute anytime anyway they want. I read a couple years ago on the Khe Sanh Veterans site that a lot of them guys were going to start saluting the colors if they had on a veteran cap, hat or cover. They felt as they had earned that right. I think they have. I mean no disrespect to anyone here. But let the old vets do what they want. They have earned the right to do so. Remember someday you will be old.I gotta agree with you there gg. I don't see any disrespect in saluting the flag whether in uniform, wearing the American Legion pizz cutter, or a cap with USMC on it. If you served whether in war or peace, you have earned the right to salute our national flag, and show respect any way you want. Are the flag Nazis gonna come drag a Veteran away? Won't happen with HuBama as prez. I guarantee that. He doesn't even respect the flag enough to put his hand over his heart.

Gunner 0313
01-05-09, 08:15 PM
:flag: If anyone respects the elderly it's me hands down. That sh it was totally drilled into me as a kid. Just saying that I think it looks jacked up to me. Not trying to disrespect what they do nor would I ever say anything to them. Like the respect for the elderly was drilled into me it also was drilled into me to have my own opinion regardless of what others might say.

Semper Fi

NoRemorse
01-05-09, 08:23 PM
They've got enough salt to do as they please and they are indeed Hard Corps.

I however refuse to salute the National Ensign while out of uniform. I stand at attention during the national moment of silence (9/11, Beirut...), National Anthem, funeral details, raising of the colors, and other ceremonies as prescribed by our storied traditions and intense training.

mcvet57103
01-05-09, 08:23 PM
:flag: If anyone respects the elderly it's me hands down. That sh it was totally drilled into me as a kid. Just saying that I think it looks jacked up to me. Not trying to disrespect what they do nor would I ever say anything to them. Like the respect for the elderly was drilled into me it also was drilled into me to have my own opinion regardless of what others might say.

Semper FiI admit it does look weird when a youngling does it. But when an old fart like me does it, It does inspire the young. I remember when I was young seeing old vets saluting the flag. I was in awe. well the fact that I was a war buff and read war stories, and watched any John Wayne war movie with rapt attention, might have played somewhat of an influence. But who does it harm, and it makes the old salts feel good to express their patriotism.

NoRemorse
01-05-09, 08:26 PM
I admit it does look weird when a youngling does it. But when an old fart like me does it, It does inspire the young. I remember when I was young seeing old vets saluting the flag. I was in awe. well the fact that I was a war buff and read war stories, and watched any John Wayne war movie with rapt attention, might have played somewhat of an influence. But who does it harm, and it makes the old salts feel good to express their patriotism.

Well put, MC. Those are moments that get my allergies going. There's a certain mystique about the true, American patriot. He holds his head up high and loves his country, traditions and values. He does the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing and always stands behind her.

I'm hoping and praying my kids learn that meaning of patriotism.

mcvet57103
01-05-09, 08:27 PM
They've got enough salt to do as they please and they are indeed Hard Corps.

I however refuse to salute the National Ensign while out of uniform. I stand at attention during the national moment of silence (9/11, Beirut...), National Anthem, funeral details, raising of the colors, and other ceremonies as prescribed by our storied traditions and intense training.Hey I have a book about WWII that if you enjoy a good war read is outstanding. It's: "With The Old Breed" By E B Sledge. About his personal experience on Okinawa during the assault. Eye opening!!

NoRemorse
01-05-09, 08:29 PM
Hey I have a book about WWII that if you enjoy a good war read is outstanding. It's: "With The Old Breed" By E B Sledge. About his personal experience on Okinawa during the assault. Eye opening!!

Just put it on my wish list. Toss me some more recommendations; I'm always looking to expand the library.

Semper Fi :flag:

mcvet57103
01-05-09, 08:31 PM
Well put, MC. Those are moments that get my allergies going. There's a certain mystique about the true, American patriot. He holds his head up high and loves his country, traditions and values. He does the right thing for the sake of doing the right thing and always stands behind her.

I'm hoping and praying my kids learn that meaning of patriotism.Remember the scene at the end of Saving Private Ryan? He stands and salutes the LTs marker. If you can watch that movie and then the ending with dry eyes you have no heart. That scene pretty much says why old vets salute.

NoRemorse
01-05-09, 08:33 PM
Remember the scene at the end of Saving Private Ryan? He stands and salutes the LTs marker. If you can watch that movie and then the ending with dry eyes you have no heart. That scene pretty much says why old vets salute.

That one had my wife tearing up. She learns a little bit more of why we do what we do because of moments like those.

sparkie
01-05-09, 08:52 PM
Remember the scene at the end of Saving Private Ryan? He stands and salutes the LTs marker. If you can watch that movie and then the ending with dry eyes you have no heart. That scene pretty much says why old vets salute.
Brother.

mcvet57103
01-05-09, 08:53 PM
Just put it on my wish list. Toss me some more recommendations; I'm always looking to expand the library.

Semper Fi :flag:OK here ya go, "Point of Impact" by Stephen Hunter. A story line about a former Marine Sniper. They made a movie from the book, (Shooter) but they mutilated the story line. The Book is so much better.

CPLWeeks
08-02-13, 05:58 AM

I want to watch you try and tell a retired Marine that he's out of line for saluting out of uniform. You're still passing boot camp chow but you think you have the mettle to challenge the decision of a real Veteran. That amuses me.

m14ed
08-02-13, 10:42 AM
http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/leatherneck/misc/quote_icon.png Originally Posted by Gunner 0313 http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/images/leatherneck/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?p=430546#post430546)

I want to watch you try and tell a retired Marine that he's out of line for saluting out of uniform. You're still passing boot camp chow but you think you have the mettle to challenge the decision of a real Veteran. That amuses me.

Can't tell which of the two of you Boots, are boot to the other...
Neither of you have your profiles filled out.....

Typical i guess of Boot Marines ???

DrZ
08-02-13, 10:50 AM
If I am covered...it is with my Vietnam Veteran cap and I will salute the raising and lowering of colors. If uncovered... I will place my hand over my heart.

I will be damned if the government or anyone else tells me how I pay respect to our flag.

When my Dad (WW2 Marine) passed...my uncle (Korean Vet), my older brother (Vietnam Vet), and I wore our covers. The final thing we did was render a hand salute and I believe it was proper.