PDA

View Full Version : Infantry Marines

BackhausD
01-05-09, 10:23 AM
I have two contract choices and both are for 0300: 4 years and no bonus or 6 years and a $15,000 bonus. So my question is, if you could go back to the time that you initially enlisted, which would you have taken and why?

I realize that I'm the one that needs to make this decision, but I want to make an informed decision.

yellowwing
01-05-09, 10:34 AM
I would think that after 6 years you would be a senior combat Sgt. You would know by then how close to SSgt your career would be. Then you'd be in a good position to decide if you want to be a Lifer.

Take that $15k and invest it in US Savings Bonds or something. We had a Sgt that from day 1 put half his pay into bonds. When he was getting out he had a fairly large nest egg to begin his life again.

oifvet23
01-05-09, 10:39 AM
Don't do it for the bonus, its not a lump sum and they are going to tax the hell out of it, take a third right off the top and then spread it out over the next 5 yrs or so and now ask yourself in 2,000 extra dollars a year for 6 yrs worth it

Pete0331
01-05-09, 11:41 AM
Don't do it for the bonus, its not a lump sum and they are going to tax the hell out of it, take a third right off the top and then spread it out over the next 5 yrs or so and now ask yourself in 2,000 extra dollars a year for 6 yrs worth it

Right, do the 4 year contract and if you want to stay in there will be bonuses.

outlaw3179
01-05-09, 11:57 AM
Id say go for it. Not saying it will happen but theres a good chance that at some point toward the end youll have to extend to either figure out what the hell you want to do , or to go on a float or deployment. Just my 2cents.

richerich
01-05-09, 12:18 PM
Put it in the stock market! =)

KawiGunny
01-05-09, 12:29 PM
As you mentioned, it is your decission to make. I was infantry and loved every minute of it. Even in the bad times because it made me and the Marines around me stronger. If I had it to do all over again (knowing what I know now) I would take the 6 yr enlistment. However if I was joining today and didn't know what I know now then I would do 4 yrs and see how it goes. With that said, coming in you never know if it is for you. As someone else has mentioned, don't join for the money. It's nice to get a few extra bucks every year on your anniversary date but if the Corps is not for you then it will be 6 long years. Money is nice but it doesn't make you a better Marine. Just lets you buy cooler toys.

SGT7477
01-05-09, 01:26 PM
Very well put Gunny.

JordanB
01-05-09, 05:42 PM
6 years is a long time kid, if you really like it then you can re-enlist after your first 4 for a 65-80 THOUSAND dollar bonus.

BackhausD
01-05-09, 08:58 PM
I've decided to go with the four year contract. Thank you everyone for the helpful information.

Sgt Leprechaun
01-06-09, 08:05 AM
Knowing what I know now, I'd do the six....but what the hey....