PDA

View Full Version : One last concern...

101matt1
01-04-09, 02:54 PM
Good afternoon, Marines. You're probably tired of my questions by now, but I'm grateful I have the time and the resources (this forum) to sort out my questions and concerns. I'm a little concerned about homesickness. Not just at boot camp, but throughout my Marine Corps career. Growing up, I very rarely went on long trips without my family. The other day, I went on a camping/shooting/hiking trip with a few friends, and got kind of homesick. It's not that I don't like all that stuff, I actually love it. But downtime at night, I was kinda wishing I was home. What my actual question is, is this; for any of you who got homesick (a fair amount) at bootcamp, or even after, was it something that passed after a while, or did you stay homesick throughout your enlistment? I love my hometown, I love my family, but I also love the Corps. Any advice or guidance that you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Marines.

Sgt Jim
01-04-09, 04:59 PM
Being home sick is normal,The Marine Corps will keep you busy enough.If you make it through boot.They have what they call a phone to help you stay in contact with your family and friends.If you focus on what you are going to be doing to become a Marine you might not have much time to be home sick.

dhenderson88
01-04-09, 05:35 PM
As boot camp goes, there will come a point where all the screaming and I.T.ing just becomes life. At that point you'll find boot camp to be home and when you get to MCT you'll probably find yourself missing boot camp...especially the chow hall.

PaidinBlood
01-04-09, 05:48 PM
You'll be fine, boss. You'll be so busy it really won't bother you. Even after boot camp, if you do it right, you will be so stoked about the matter at hand you'll be ok. Get married. Every time I get homesick, I think of in-laws... :D

SGT7477
01-04-09, 07:02 PM
Keep yourself busy you have the computer today to chat back and forth some of us didn't have that luxury.

yellowwing
01-04-09, 08:16 PM
No doubt your family will be sending you plenty of mail. Remind them not to send any cookies or candy and you'll be fine.

SGT7477
01-04-09, 08:18 PM
No doubt your family will be sending you plenty of mail. Remind them not to send any cookies or candy and you'll be fine.

Oh shoot Wing wouldn't them treats be good,lol?:D

101matt1
01-04-09, 08:35 PM
Thanks for the replies Marines. You're probably right. I figure, no matter what I do, I'll have to move out, and I won't be seeing my family every day, every week, or every month for that matter, so the only difference would be the number of miles. Thanks again, and more comments are welcome. I'd like to hear all opinions if anyone has a differing opinion.

hvmech
01-04-09, 09:48 PM
101matt1...there will be times you miss your Mom and Dad and siblings.........but, my question is how do you become homesick when the Marine Corps IS/WILL be your FAMILY if you get through Boot Camp....... I have been out for almost 40 years and my Brothers and Sisters from the Corps are MY FAMILY. You think along those lines and your homesickness will not be very hard to handle.
Semper Fi

NoRemorse
01-05-09, 07:47 AM
101matt1...there will be times you miss your Mom and Dad and siblings.........but, my question is how do you become homesick when the Marine Corps IS/WILL be your FAMILY if you get through Boot Camp....... I have been out for almost 40 years and my Brothers and Sisters from the Corps are MY FAMILY. You think along those lines and your homesickness will not be very hard to handle.
Semper Fi

I'd say that's a definition of Semper Fi right there.

Besides, being away from home,wherever that might be, makes it that much sweeter when you're coming back for a visit. In any case; once you're seeing through the eyes of a Marine, home won't be quite what it was.

Marine84
01-05-09, 07:56 AM
I got homesick so many times it wasn't funny. I remember being drunk as hell one night in Iwakuni and calling my folks (3 AM their time) crying and begging for ANYBODY to get me out of that whole open sewer over there. LOL! I'm sure the phone line will always be open at your folks' house too.

silverdollar
01-05-09, 10:23 AM
A lot of boots get homesick and the DIs are used to it, just tell your senior DI about it and he will probably let you sleep in his quarters untill you are used to being away from home.:marine:

oifvet23
01-05-09, 10:44 AM
The Marines around you become your new family, it kinda feels like someone hits the pause button on the recorder of life and every time you come home someone pushes play, I never really got home sick, even after four yrs of being out I think I'm gonna wake up and leave will be over and its time to return home to the MARINES.

Old Marine
01-05-09, 01:45 PM
If you have a Teddy Bear you can bring it to Boot Camp as a sleeping partner.

If you are going to be a Marine, maybe its time to cut the cord.

hvmech
01-05-09, 03:54 PM
Gunny (Old Marine).... you might as well tell him to take along a video game, candy, chewing gum and cigarettes too....... his Drill Instructors would REALLY have a Field day with him.

Quinbo
01-07-09, 05:36 PM
After boot camp you wil be homesick for bootcamp. When you return to your hometown you will not be the same person you were when you left and the town will be different too. After you leave the Marines you will be homesick for the Marine Corps. Whether it is 3 months or 30 years in the Marines there will be people you miss and they will miss you too. Life marches on.

101matt1
01-07-09, 06:00 PM
Oorah. Understood Marines. Figure it's something I'll just get used to. Got to grow up sometime, right? I appreciate your replies.

Old Marine, reason I haven't 'cut the cord' yet is because I'm still in school as of now. That's what I meant by having some time to think these things through, and work them out. Maybe I'm thinking about it too much. That's most likely the problem. But again, it gives me more time to prepare and think these things over. Anyway, that's the reason. Thanks Gunny. :)

Semper Fi.

hawks
01-08-09, 03:59 AM
Everyday that I spent at MCRD, ITB, Iraq, even LIBO, i wished i was at home, but then I got home, and some days I wished I was at the other places.