PDA

View Full Version : US Citizen living overseas wants to join

AaronGardner
01-04-09, 01:08 PM
Great forum and website. I am an American citizen (23 yrs old) who has been living overseas, in Brazil. (My parents are American citizens who were missionaries to Brazil...this is why I was born in and have spent a good number of years in Brazil) I have a US passport, US birth certificate, and even US driver license, and am signed up with the US selective service.

One of my plans for 2009 is to find more information regarding joining the Marines. A couple of weeks ago, I called a Recruiter in Ohio. He was surprised to hear of my scenario and said he that my situation would not prevent me from joining but he would need to look into the paper work necessary for me to join.

Living overseas prevents me from meeting/interacting with a live Recruiter or Marines for that matter, and for me that's rather annoying. I wanted to ask the Marines here whether they have any advice or recourses they might suggest to a guy like me who has limited contact with the USMC locations in the US.

Also, I have heard that candidates are supposed to have lived 1 or 2 years in the US before signing up. In the past, I have lived in the US (last time was 2002 - 2004) but the immediate past years have been spent in Brazil. If I flew in this year and signed up this year, would my living overseas be something that could get waived?

Any and all advice appreciated, thanks!

Daniel