PDA

View Full Version : On the record: Mary Jane Ryan

thedrifter
01-04-09, 07:10 AM
On the record: Mary Jane Ryan

Mary Jane Ryan isn’t one to brag.

But the Crystal Lake woman, who entered the military at age 20 in 1943, perhaps could be one of the oldest living female Marines in McHenry County.

Ryan taught gun air combat simulation to pilots on a Marine airbase during World War II.

She served as part of the first activated local battalion that allowed women.

Aboard the same airbase was Maj. Gregory “Pappy” Boyington, one of the most controversial and colorful Marines of the time.

After her service with the Marines, Ryan soon settled down with her childhood next-door neighbor from Woodstock Street – a Navy fighter pilot – and had 11 children.

Ryan turns 86 this month. She recently sat down with Northwest Herald reporter Amber Krosel to talk about some of her experiences in the military, her thoughts on the current war, and the upcoming inauguration of President-elect Barack Obama.

Krosel: What was your deciding factor in entering the Marine Corps?

Ryan: The idea was to “Free a Marine to Fight,” where the women would take the office jobs. Mine was running the synthetic training with a simulator. Planes would fly in and the pilot or gunner would try to hit the fighter planes on the screen. I did that for three-and-a-half years and loved it.

Krosel: I heard from your son, Tim, that you had been on the same airbase as the famous Pappy Boyington. What was that like?

Ryan: That was Squadron 214, and he was the commanding officer. They’re the squadron they always called the Black Sheep because they took on a couple kamikazes. We lost a lot of people in that. Later, there was a TV program about Pappy.

Krosel: What are some of your favorite memories from the base?

Ryan: I had a lot of friends and a lot of camaraderie. It was a beautiful setting on the Pacific, the mountains on one side and oceans on the other. That was the Santa Barbara airbase.

Krosel: How did you get together with your husband? You started a family pretty shortly after your time with the Marines.

Ryan: I was dating his brother (laughs). But he asked me to a dance, and it was over.

Krosel: Do any of your grandchildren serve in the military?

Ryan: No, thank God.

Krosel: So, I’m assuming you have some pretty strong thoughts on the war in Iraq?

Ryan: I’ve been against it and how our current administration has handled it. I can’t wait until Obama gets in. I try not to be vociferous about it. I support the troops, but I do not support the war.

Krosel: Your birthday’s coming up soon. Are you excited?

Ryan: (smiles) Yes. It’s on Jan. 20, Inauguration Day.

Ellie