PDA

View Full Version : MOS school question

Locke
01-03-09, 02:05 AM
I know this has probably been asked before, but I can't for the life of me find an answer anywhere else.

Just to get a general idea, because I've heard mixed things, would it be okay, or is it a stupid idea to bring things to the effects of laptops or game systems to your MOS school?

Just curious. Gotta have some way to keep in touch, after all.

CBRN5711Tech
01-03-09, 05:34 AM
Yes most definitely. Unless your school makes you stay in an open squad bay. You should have plenty of liberty during school where you will need all that stuff. Keep it under lock and key though

Locke
01-03-09, 05:00 PM
Thanks much-I'm a 2147 LAV repair technician, and I've been told it's not open squad bays.

BR34
01-03-09, 06:31 PM
I'd bring it if I were you. Question is though, how are you going to bring it from MCT to your MOS school, because I surely wouldn't bring a laptop to MCT, and you won't be allowed to go home between the two.

Mindgame
01-04-09, 05:09 PM
I recomend having it shipped to you when you get to your MOS school. You don't want that stuff in your bags when you store it. Stuff tends to get thrown around. I had my laptop shipped to me as well. I considerd my xbox, but it wasn't worth it. There will be enough to do, so why sit in the room all day. Not to mention it would be a pain in the ass to put it away every day.

biesseb
01-04-09, 08:12 PM
I'd bring it if I were you. Question is though, how are you going to bring it from MCT to your MOS school, because I surely wouldn't bring a laptop to MCT, and you won't be allowed to go home between the two.

We had kids in MCT that had Laptops, hell I had a PSP. We would use them when we were afforded weekend liberty. There were of course always the bright ones that would try to use these devices during lights out and got caught all the time.

Concerning the question above, you get your life back for the most part at MOS School so feel free to bring whatever you please. As was mentioned though keep the stuff stowed away when not using it because there will always be some **** bag that wouldn't mind taking off with your items.

02XX
01-07-09, 10:20 AM
As an instructor at the Aberdeen Schoolhouse, yes, you can bring a laptop, and a game system. But you are only here a few months. Ask yourself if you really need to bring this stuff. There isnt any internet in the barracks, so its either the rec center (which has computers and internet) or the wifi at the px. The more crap you bring here, the more you have to stuff in your seabags when you graduate.

ronniejr37
02-05-09, 05:42 PM
:scared:WOW, this is a little scary, computers, game systems eek,,,now I feel really old!!! They actually let you bring that stuff to MOS "A" school!!!,,

Now I think it is OK for me to use the term "OLD CORPS".....All I could bring is whatever fit in my Sea Bag and one extra Suitcase....plus we only had "PONG" and the game console for that was hugh and heavy!!! Plus we were not allowed to be in our rooms (4 man) until 1900 hrs, plus no TV's were allowed in the barracks room!

I mean geez,,,yeh, we had Liberty time, but it wasnt all that much as I remember,,,except Liberty weekends,,but during the week we were in school, studying because the last thing you wanted to do was "ROCK" out of A school,,,,and we were pulling some sort of duty, Guard, Barracks, etc!!! except on weekends!!! AND I WAS IN THE AIRWING and my "A" school was on a Navy Base!!!:no:

CplKJSpevak
02-05-09, 05:44 PM
5hit, we rented a whole entertainment system when we went from open squad bays to rooms, out in Barstow!!

CplKJSpevak
02-05-09, 05:45 PM
of course we were there for 4 friggin' months

ronniejr37
02-05-09, 05:55 PM
OK, cant say much MCLB Barstow,,,is that were you were at,,,yeh, I guess if I had the opportunity to get a Game system back then,,if I was at MCLB Barstow,,,I think I would have done the same,,,even though all that was avail at the time was "PONG"....I was actually at MCLB for a day in the Corps,,,,about 1985 or so!!! But I grew up in so cal and am very familiar with the Barstow Area,,,,Nothing there,,,

Donut Brigade
02-05-09, 08:52 PM
of course we were there for 4 friggin' months

You think that's bad, try 6 months just for your A school. (ATI)

CBRN5711Tech
02-05-09, 10:25 PM
Oh no six months

CplKJSpevak
02-06-09, 04:44 AM
You think that's bad, try 6 months just for your A school. (ATI)

Yeah, But that's 4 months in the desert town of Barstow Ca. and our clas was only about 6 weeks long.....so most of the time we were just working party, and alot of times when there was no working party, we would just sit there......all day long....all day long

CplKJSpevak
02-06-09, 04:48 AM
I guess if I had the opportunity to get a Game system back then,,if I was at MCLB Barstow,,,I think I would have done the same,,,even though all that was avail at the time was "PONG

For the record Sgt. we didn't rent game systems, we rented a kick azz stereo system and TV. A place in town brought it out and set it up for us, we got the idea from the Marines in the classes ahead of ours. By the way, Ever been to Ruby's Country Bar,,, in Barstow?

Flyboy11
02-07-09, 12:31 AM
I wish my mos school was only six months. Ended up in NAS Pensacola for 3, now im in Camp Pendleton at flightline school for 3, and then crew chief school here at CMT HMLA/T-303 for another 6-8. Then i get to hit the fleet. But on topic here we have open squadbays and plenty of Marines have game systems, guitars and laptops as long as it will fit in our wall lockers were good to go.

BR34
02-11-09, 06:57 AM
Damn Flyboy! You gonna be a Cpl before you hit the fleet. What is a Basic Aircrew Trainee anyway?