PDA

View Full Version : Words of Wisdom Before Shipping

Wulf328
01-01-09, 05:56 PM
Hi,

I am a 23 year old British Citizen with 2 years of college who has DEP'd into the Marine Corps. I scored between a 89 - 92 on the ASVAB and combined with my SAT scores (1150) I would have qualified for a full NROTC scholarship. However, my lack of citizenship was a major barrier. I am enlisting now because I still want to become a Marine and serve my adopted country. I am leaving college because I just don't fully appreciate the experience. I am lucky enough to have my Dad paying for my schooling but I feel indebted to him and I feel I would do better in school if I went on my own merits. I'm not getting any younger and now seemed like the right time. My ship date is 02/23/09. I might try and leave early if my finances are in order, after all the major holidays have come and gone and I'm eager to begin my training. With my college credits I qualify to enter as an E-2 and have qualified for the G1 option as my (MOS)? That is 5 years of Infantry with $7,500 bonus. Ive DEP'd in Open Contract with E-2. Some things in life have always come easy to me; finances and grades especially. I have the brains and am looking forward to improving in other areas of my life such as discipline and fitness etc. As a civilian I have no real idea of what I'm getting myself into and before I tell my life story I would really appreciate any words of wisdom anyone has for me before I begin my new career.

Will

Phantom Blooper
01-01-09, 06:01 PM
Shout Loud when you are addressed. You do not have to close the lock on your footlocker or your rifle. Do not step on the line in the squad bays. The drill instructors do not want you to mess up the paint job. If you are going to Parris Island in S.C, it is encouraged that you swat and kill the sand fleas. The drill instructors feel that you are doing them a great service of pest control. The only good sand flea is a dead sand flea. My suggestion is swing away. I mean take that cover off your gourd and swing away while in formation. At San Diego gawk at the airplanes taking off and ask if you can get a camera to take pictures.

Take your time in the chow hall.

Parris Island is great place. I suggest looking around while you are marching. This is a great time and way to enjoy the Island.And listen to the sounds and look at all the sites.

San Diego is a great place too! When climbing Mount MF'er take your time and stroll the mountains and listen to the sounds of music.

Oh yeah a good time to catch up with your friends is in the head. The DI will not bother you in the head. They know that this is your time not theirs. If you have to go to the bathroom just go.You don’t have to ask permission just go!! And just take your time. They will wait on you. During PT, if you’re tired stop and take a rest. If you feel like the DI is being too negative. I suggest that you tell him that this is your first time in boot camp and there is no need to yell. Perhaps you might say something like.” Sir, I am concerned about your health. Did you forget to take your med's today.” Showing this concern may lessen the tension between you and the DI. If all else fails, tell the DI that your father was in the Marine Corps and he said that your DI is a shower shoe and that in the Old Corps they did it like this. This will show the drill instructor that you are up on your Marine Corps history.

Have fun!! It’s only Boot Camp. PAY ATTENTION!! WHAT YOU LEARN THERE MAY SAVE YOUR LIFE. :evilgrin:

Wulf328
01-01-09, 06:07 PM
lol Thank You Phantom

NoRemorse
01-01-09, 06:08 PM
lol Thank You Phantom

That would be a thank you, Staff Sergeant.

Wulf328
01-01-09, 06:10 PM
Right

Phantom Blooper
01-01-09, 06:20 PM
In all seriousness read the threads in the Poolee Forum and Ask A Marine there are stickies there also that are very informative.

There is a collective wealth of knowledge by hundreds of Marines and virtually any question you have has been answered and if not ask it but do a search first as the search button is your friend.

Boot camp as you will read is more mental stress than physical...although you should be in good shape before you leave...you will be in better shape when you leave the parade grinder at the depot.

Read and there is plenty of words of wisdom at your finger tips!:evilgrin:

0231Marine
01-02-09, 06:37 AM
SSgt,

You're going to get that kid killed on his first day!

I laughed pretty hard at this though

Quinbo
01-02-09, 11:11 AM
You are an evil evil man Blooper ... I like it. I'm still trying to wrap myself around an educated and intelligent poolee skipping a bonus and signing an open contract. It makes no sense to me.

Wyoming
01-02-09, 11:39 AM
You are an evil evil man Blooper ... I like it. I'm still trying to wrap myself around an educated and intelligent poolee skipping a bonus and signing an open contract. It makes no sense to me.

Hmmm, an open contract and a British citizen.

Sounds like fish and chips could be on the menu soon.