PDA

View Full Version : Reenlisting after retirement

vanbam815
01-01-09, 05:34 PM
After turning down a promotion in 2003, my dad retired as a GySgt, he had turned down a promotion before hand. Since then, he's been working as an MCJROTC instructor at my high school. My mother and I were wondering if he could reenlist? In my opinion, his pride won't allow him to go in and ask my recruiter, so I thought I would see if anyone could help me out here. Thank you in advance.

vanbam815
01-01-09, 05:57 PM
I sounded like an idiot. I said he turned down a promotion twice in that post. Ignore that, please.

Echo_Four_Bravo
01-01-09, 06:29 PM
He wouldn't just ask a recruiter, he would ask a prior service recruiter, which is a little different.

Since he is retired and didn't just get out he is on the retired list. I don't know how it is working now, but a couple of years ago there were several retired Marines that went back in.

sparkie
01-01-09, 08:20 PM
God bless him,,,,,,,,,,,,

Petz
01-01-09, 09:32 PM
E4B... it's a common mistake to think in order to get back onto active duty you'd have to talk to a Prior Service Recruiter.... they deal with getting Prior Service members into the Reserves... they are reservists themselves... mostly AR but some who step on to get some retirement points.

if he were to want to get back in, his service limitations would have to allow him 48 months of enlistment. a gunny can go till 24 years (right?) so he'd have to have retired at 20 years of service in order to re-enlist... however this will not be something he couldn't get a waiver for if it were a year or so extra... now if he got out at 22 or 23 years then it becomes a problem.

I honestly don't think he'd want to come back in knowing he probably won't get promoted, because his date of rank will most likely get reset... making him a boot gunny where as he probably had from 2 1/2 years plus in the pay grade.

support which ever decision he makes and you'll do alright... good lookin' out.

vanbam815
01-02-09, 08:59 AM
Thank you, Marines. I appreciate all the help.