PDA

View Full Version : what dress blues designation for seperated marine attending Parris Island Graduation

82Marine
01-01-09, 02:00 PM
I proudly walked across the parade deck of Parris Island back in 1982, it is now my cousin's turn to carry on that tradition. He is currently training at P.I and will graduate on March 6 2009. I have through the years attended Marine Corps Birthday balls in full dress blues with medals. I will be attending his graduation in March and obviously know that It is not appropriate to wear full dress blues with medals in public, what I do want to know is for that time of year what dress blue designation would be appropriate. I am assuming ribbons and badges. Thanks for helping an old salt but forum newbie. Semper Fi! :usmc:

Quinbo
01-01-09, 03:56 PM
If you are not active duty recommend a nice suit and tie instead of blues. If you do decide to wear blues ... bravos with ribbons and badges. Have to be correctly worn and fit as you will be closely scrutenized.

Me I would wear a collard shirt and slacks, ballcap that says ohh rahh I love the Marine Corps and Veteran or some such and maybe scare up a couple coins for the drill instructors. Graduation ceremonies are all about our newly fledged Marines and they should get the limelight on that day.

SGT7477
01-01-09, 04:04 PM
I believe you can wear your full uniform anytime if you were honorably discharged.:flag:

82Marine
01-01-09, 04:48 PM
Both of you bring excellent point of views, these were some of the same points of views I was kicking around and yes although I do look appropriate in my dress blues (see my pic in profile) I would definately be more scrutinized than say ,, at a Marine Corps Ball. I do also agree that the dress blues may bring too much attention to me and not enough to the men and women who we would be honoring on that day, I had my day and now its their turn to have theirs so I think a Marine Corps tshirt or something of that nature would be appropriate. Last but not least I fully am aware like SGT7477 said once you earn it you can wear it as long as you follow and honor customs and traditions when in that uniform and you are squared away. Thanks to all

Wyoming
01-01-09, 04:55 PM
... you can always wear your MCL blazer, decked out with your fruit salad.

You will be bringing attention to a WORTHY organization.

Don't forget the challenge coins.

82Marine
01-01-09, 09:07 PM
... you can always wear your MCL blazer, decked out with your fruit salad.

You will be bringing attention to a WORTHY organization.

Don't forget the challenge coins.

well that's another idea, now I just need to become a member :D

Petz
01-01-09, 09:24 PM
I want you to know that Dress blues are worn by recruiters who have honor grads, and the recruiting station kinda forces someone from the RS/RSS to go... blues are issued gear now and depending on...

82Marine
01-01-09, 09:51 PM
I have never encountered any issue with wearing dress blues to any of the Birthday Celebrations however I do realize that your'e correct, when seperated or retired Marines are wearing uniforms...

Sgt Leprechaun
01-01-09, 10:03 PM
You rate em, so you can wear em, you know that already. <br />
<br />
What I'd do? <br />
<br />
Probably wear something USMC related, such as a float jacket, or MCL jacket. <br />
<br />
You can also wear mini medals pinned to...

82Marine
01-01-09, 10:46 PM
Affirmative :marine:

Petz
01-02-09, 07:12 AM
I didn't mean to imply that you CAN'T wear them... just that there are designated occasions that you are authorized. The Marine Corps ball is one of them... I guess what I'm saying is that you shouldn't wear them to the football game and get smashed but wearing them to your cousins wedding is ok. I've seen a 70 year man wear his Blues on veterans day, so please don't think I was leaning the other way on this issue.

yut and semper fi.